Elite Member
More commonly known as Lake Webster.

Attachments

• IMGP0041.jpg
    IMGP0041.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 358
¡Ay, caramba!

google says:

Prior to the colonists’ arrival, the lake was known as “Chaubunagungamaugg,” meaning “fishing place at the boundary.” When colonists began using the lake as a fishing and meeting spot as well, the name expanded to its full “Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg,” meaning “English knifemen and Nipmuck Indians at the boundary or neutral fishing place.”

Reminds me of "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra"

¡Ay, caramba!

google says:

Prior to the colonists’ arrival, the lake was known as “Chaubunagungamaugg,” meaning “fishing place at the boundary.” When colonists began using the lake as a fishing and meeting spot as well, the name expanded to its full “Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg,” meaning “English knifemen and Nipmuck Indians at the boundary or neutral fishing place.”

I read somewhere that the name translates to: We'll fish on our side, you fish on your side, and no one fishes in the middle. Historians aren't sure if that's really what it means.

I read somewhere that the name translates to: We'll fish on our side, you fish on your side, and no one fishes in the middle. Historians aren't sure if that's really what it means.

I've heard that name! Didn't realize it was *this* lake.
But it is. I just found more info that says a newspaper editor totally made up the long version as a joke -- but it stuck with the locals. And the shorter version means "lake divided by islands" which I can see being an alternate translation of of "fishing place at the boundary."

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/this-lakes-name-is-so-long-we-cant-fit-it-in-the-headline

We call it Webster lake around these parts :laughing: there's a nice little restaurant on the lake called Samuel Slaters which has descent food. The wife and I went twice this summer. They have a nice little outdoor dining area on the beach overlooking Webster lake, with small bands playing on weekend nights. People are probably more familiar with Indian Ranch, which is on the same premises. A very nice area if anyone ever visits Central MA.

Pronouncing it will drive one to drink. Given that, you take the first two letters and the last three and it is directions for consuming an adult beverage.:beer::beers::laughing:

Here in Michigan.....

We have a lake named Paradise Lake. The little town on the shore of the lake is named Carp Lake.

Apparently at some point realtors or a chamber of commerce decided Paradise was more inviting but they only did half the job of name changing.

¡Ay, caramba!

google says:

"When the walls fell"

Back
Top Bottom