1700's Silver Coin Identification. Here's the clues!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
Found a small area of colonial era relics the other day. Included two .69 musket balls, a tombac button and a small and very worn silver coin. Slightly smaller than a 1/2 real, but that could be because it's worn very thin.

Here's the clues:

1) One side has a very readable letter "W" with a dot after it. It's not a Mexico mint mark (M) because it's situated the opposite of that mint mark. The bottom points of the letter point out toward the edge of the coin, making it a "W".

2) The other side has very worn and barely legible letters "ND" together on the coin. I originally saw the number "8" on one of the sides, but can't seem to spot it now!

3) Coin measures 5/8" or around 16 mm.

I'll try to take a couple of pics of the coin ASAP, but I doubt if I'll be able to take pics good enough to show any detail. None of my cameras have a very good macro setting.

Throw some guesses my way. I looked at photos of all the 1/2 reales from the 1600's and 1700's, but none seem to match. Any help would be appreciated!

I'll take a shot in the dark: 353431_1.jpg but I cant seem to find anything with a "W". Pictured is a Mexico City minted half reale. Looking forward to pics, nice find man!

You're the man! That's it! Has to be the milled pillar type from 1732 to 1771! My oldest silver coin! Thanks for the great ID!

I messed up because the example I saw had a Potosi mint mark. Also, the 4 other reales I've found are milled bust, which has a Mexico mint mark going in the opposite direction (open points facing in).

Here's a couple of pics. Best I could do with an iPad. As you can see, it's REALLY worn!

Attachments

• IMG_9702.jpg
    IMG_9702.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_9707.jpg
    IMG_9707.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 226
Back
Top Bottom