• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

The question is : Did I or Didn't I ?

meggie

Elite Member
I was at the low tide this morning digging in the thick clay again.Plenty of targets (I love this new Nox version 3) got a very faint low tone and started digging .. it was hard going but eventually the signal got better (a 19) and after a few hard scoops I had it in my hand, 5.3grams of 9ct gold.
But it's damaged, was it me .. I'll never know!

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 32b.jpg
    32b.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 309
Yes, but aren't you sending those ones for the melt?

Yes this one will be sold as scrap, but I get much better prices for rings on Facebook jewelry groups over here in Australia than I would for scrap price.
I have sold many for double and even more than scrap, especially if they have a nice stone in them!

I see. Here in British Columbia it works well with Pandora but the other ones are not so. At least for me.

:dingding: Congrats! I'd rather find a broken gold ring than no gold ring at all! There's a new software update for the Nox?

That's a nice one meggie! It looks to me in the first pic, the ends are tarnished, if it were a fresh break it would obviously look clean. Either way, if you think it's worth repairing, I would do so. I've soldered a few broken gold rings in the past, it's a fun hobby, jewelry repair/making. Congrats!

Some machine operators cut rings so if they were caught in machinery they woul tear off without the finger or worse. That also made the rings less strong/secure.

Nice looking ring! Most of the time you can tell when you did it by the freshness of the gold within.... on either end of the break..if its a nice fresh looking yellow you did it...dull or black..then it was broken before. ...:smart:

Nice looking ring! Most of the time you can tell when you did it by the freshness of the gold within.... on either end of the break..if its a nice fresh looking yellow you did it...dull or black..then it was broken before. ...:smart:

Yes I'm sure the ring was previously broken, but I think I bent it with my scoop, I was really kicking it into the hard solid clay.

Yes I'm sure the ring was previously broken, but I think I bent it with my scoop, I was really kicking it into the hard solid clay.

I think it is a pretty nice looking ring......even though you screwed it up. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

How hard were you kicking that scoop ? I saw a video of Tom from CA chopping at the sand with a scoop recently (a technique which I have recently begun to experiment with) so I imagine damage happens from time to time. Look at it this way, if you had to kick at it to scoop that clay then that's what you had to do. So it came down to a damaged ring in your hand or a sightly less damaged ring staying in the ocean. I think you did the right thing. Also, repairing it does seem like a cool thing to try too.

Same would go if you hit it with the scoop then, freshness of the scrap..No matter which.... it looks like it took some abuse .....:wow:

I've hit a few.......... One was so bad I though it was a watch face plate when dug..until I got home, then noticed and bent it back in shape.

Last edited:
I’m always impressed with how good your rings look after you polish them up.

Yeah, if it were whole; take out that black cr@ppy stone, pop in one of those beautiful Aussie opals and you’ve got yourself a buyer!

... or melt it :cool3:

R5

Back
Top Bottom