• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

175+ Coins Out Of One Small Front Yard

beephead

Elite Member
The first time that I detected this small front yard (approximately 30' x 40' grassy area) I found 25 wheat pennies and 50+ modern clad coins, but NOT one single silver coin, so I didn't post pictures of my finds that day. I knew that there just had to be silver in that front yard with that many wheat pennies being found.

Today I went backed armed with my trusty MXT-Pro with a 6" x 8" search coil attached. Right off I got a quarter reading and popped a sterling silver locket that's 12k gold plated. Not long after that I found a 1961 Rosie dime and ended up finding 27 MORE wheat pennies. Along the edge of the driveway, I got my search coil over a 1945 Mercury dime. I went back over the curb strip and got a signal that I thought was going to be yet another wheat penny, but it turned out to be a really thin 1920 Mercury dime.

In two hunts that small front yard produced 175+ coins including a sterling locket, a Rosie dime, 2 Mercury dimes, and 52 wheat pennies. Being tired and worn out, I headed for the house after a short hunt. I might go back.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_0909.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 548
Wow great spot, that is a cool locket, whats the age of the home? Any idea?

Guess his wife never did get around to sewing up that hole in his pocket.

Looks like a great hunt

Thanks! I found a toy lead soldier and a hammer to a cap gun, I'm going to say that a little boy did his share of losing a bunch of those coins.

beephead

The Ace 250 would do the job.. IMO..
It wouldn't surprise me.

175 +/- holes dug in a small front yard!
Just think of it as a giant coin spill. Surprisingly, you could hardly tell that I was there.

Killer finds, Congrats on the finds and the will to return.. I think my back wouldn’t have allowed that.lol..That locket is awesome
Thanks! I know that I'm going to be a little sore.

Kinda like the perfect storm. The right detectors, the great permission and you experience.

Awsome hunt.
Thanks! Sometimes you just have to look at a challenging site and say I know that there are good targets there and keep on swinging. The fun part for me is going back with a different detector to see what else I can unearth.

beephead

It looks like you had a fantastic hunt! The silver & gold locket is a great recovery, as are the wheat cents and silver dimes. :grin:

Very nice pics and write up Beep! Some of those coins appear to have been in stacks and slanted pocket spills... signature of kids sitting down or laying down on the yard at one time you think?!

I knew you would be back in there hunting for a Gold Ring! Good Luck Pal!

holly molly that a lot of coins in a small area!

It looks like you had a fantastic hunt! The silver & gold locket is a great recovery, as are the wheat cents and silver dimes. :grin:
Thanks! I had great time.

An awesome payday , Congrats ! There's something magical about those Detech 6X8 coils ! I have one for my M6 . Great photos and play by play .
I've owned and tried several search coils for the MXT Pro and today I only own ONE search coil for that detector, the Detech 6x8. That's how good it is.

good story. Thanx for taking us along.
Thanks! I'm thinking about hitting it again today. I like the challenge.

Very nice pics and write up Beep! Some of those coins appear to have been in stacks and slanted pocket spills... signature of kids sitting down or laying down on the yard at one time you think?!

I knew you would be back in there hunting for a Gold Ring! Good Luck Pal!
Thanks, Mud! This is a yard that I walked passed many times while attending a nearby elementary school in the late fifties and early sixties. Back then boys were always on the ground for one reason or another. I want to get permission to detect the yard next door because it's the one we always cut across. The front yard is HUGE because it's on the inside of where the road curves. IF there's a gold ring there, I'll find it.

holly molly that a lot of coins in a small area!
It's the most coins that I've ever found in such a small area.

beephead

Amazing hunt!! Did you stand up at all or just crawl on your knees to dig 175 coins? At my age I wouldn't be able to get up and down that much. :) Really a great day, congrats

Back
Top Bottom