First Curb Strip Hunt

aeds151

After some research at the library, I went to some of the oldest addresses in the city. I drove around very hesitant to curb strip while looking for viable strips. I found a strip that allowed me to park in a business lot and had several homes that were vacant due to construction so I figure this would be the best place to break the ice. Within 10 minutes and two plugs I had my first Buffalo Nickle. As I was cleaning it off I heard a car passing and looked up to see a city police officer. He just waved and cruised on by. At that moment I realized it is GAME ON! I hit several strips and made contact with a half dozen different folks asking if I found anything (most looked like they had hard lives). Found everything outside of the box in the pic today.

dc0b5d0ccf6f1fef360f3c6b4cac2337.jpg
f6b941d60327429c4c33f1f86f5d406d.jpg
a192d598b79952f3e33c9b7ef82ef265.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your first buffalo! Cool cap gun too. Looks like a couple wheat cents too?

And on the police wave :thumbsup:

Guessing your in NY? :lol:

Also welcome aboard!

Ya. Its gonna be hard for me to hunt anything else since you know the history is there. So tired of public parks.

Ya. Its gonna be hard for me to hunt anything else since you know the history is there. So tired of public parks.

Roger that! Same here! Nothing today, but clad, 2 wheats and trash at the Hughes Center! I'll get with my cousin and see when we can hunt the old Dance Hall location. Good luck this afternoon, I'm done for the day!

I just got some clad, a heart thingy, an eagle token, and my first Wheat from the ground. I also had someone about my age pull up and ask what I was doing. I said im just out looking for pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters in the public curb strips. He wanted me to move along because I was making him “nervous”. I agreed and headed home.

354004dff8acacd0ab2243b5130717dc.jpg

Always nice to have a pleasant chat with the local officers while you're out hunting curbstrips. Just increases the level of comfort. Glad you were able to make the leap to the new source of potential finds.

Ya it was fun until the end. Just wish I didnt have to worry about ppl getting weird about it.

I just got some clad, a heart thingy, an eagle token, and my first Wheat from the ground. I also had someone about my age pull up and ask what I was doing. I said im just out looking for pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters in the public curb strips. He wanted me to move along because I was making him “nervous”. I agreed and headed home.

354004dff8acacd0ab2243b5130717dc.jpg

Sorry about that... he probably thought you were some undercover cop and he had something to hide! Congrats on your finds neighbor!

His public park burnout is partly my fault, at least he found his first Silver at one! We're about to get a lot more serious, great guy to hunt with! Especially when I'm 5'9" (shrunk) and 61, he's young and 6'3"! Like having a body guard!

Congratulations on the finds, especially the buffalo and that cool snubbie revolver.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Welcome to curb strip hunting. It can be productive and amazing how many OLD coins there are in that narrow strip of grass. People can be friendly or some are just plain hateful, can't figure why but I have had a few tell me to just move on, but they didn't say it in a nice way, so watch your back and good luck,

Way to go! I'm one of those nervous types too....glad you overcame it!
+1 on this (even though I'm 6'6" and built like a chubby linebacker, lol). One thing I've found that helps/helped me to get over this is to go curb stripping with a buddy. This method seemed (thus far) to help diminish unwanted attention. Also, try going to the next town over where people dont know you (if you live in a small-town community like I do).

His public park burnout is partly my fault, at least he found his first Silver at one! We're about to get a lot more serious, great guy to hunt with! Especially when I'm 5'9" (shrunk) and 61, he's young and 6'3"! Like having a body guard!

My burnout is from learning the Nox in our trashy parks and my 100th pull tab haha. Although it seems like it jumps through every number in 1 minute flat in trashy curbs just the same. Im learning to just cherry pick the sweet tones that have repeatable favorable vdi. I bailed out of several holes because I didnt want to spend too much time making craters past 6” even though the Garett PP was saying just a little more since the Nox Depth readout seems to be non working for reassurance. 6’5” but who is counting? Lol looking forward to next hunt.

“Move along”? Did he live in the house you were hunting in front of?

I was wondering the same thing....He told me it was a resident, so they may have been pulling in or out. Or, a resident called someone else and they did the drive by. Seems like if someone is really concerned, they would be calling the police unless they already had and was told it was public property.....or the resident has something to hide. You never know what some people have going on in their homes these days.

+1 on this (even though I'm 6'6" and built like a chubby linebacker, lol). One thing I've found that helps/helped me to get over this is to go curb stripping with a buddy. This method seemed (thus far) to help diminish unwanted attention. Also, try going to the next town over where people dont know you (if you live in a small-town community like I do).

I grew up here and was a city firefighter for 25 years. I know most everyone, but the older parts of our city have some less desirable people living in them now. I will try to join him in the future. I had some business cards made, with my information on them, that I can give out to people for their own reference. Also, offer free assistance to them or their family should the lose something. We'll see how it goes.....

Back
Top Bottom