#1 with a bullet

Ace400

Yup, found my first bullet today!
Went to Ft. Washington State Park and decided to detect in the Group Camping Area. Came home with my most clad, least trash and some of the coolest things I've found so far! Took a friend with me too. She used the Bounty Hunter Jr. mostly, we traded at one point and after a few minutes I kinda broke the BH's shaft in half :shock::no::( Before I broke it, she found the half a horse-shoe with it! Need to do some research on that thing and see when it's from, if it's old they have a museum next to the park we'll take it to. She was as amazed as I am by how many old style pull-tabs come out of the ground. Now I think I'm going to have to get a back-up machine for when I take friends with me detecting, kinda like how I have 2 kayaks, sometimes it's extra fun to take people along. I was hoping to wait long enough to find enough to pay for one of the dream machines (yes, you already have me mentally drooling over a Dirty Thirty) and then the Ace could become the backup....

Question about pinpointing with the Ace... The manual says when you nail down the location with the PP button, the target should be directly in front of the shaft. Quite often, when I kneel down and pull out the Carrot, it seems that the coin is about 4" behind where I thought it was going to be. And sure enough, when I re-check the area after grabbing the coin, there aren't any more signals there* so I obviously got the thing the Ace had been reading.

*Except for Ghost images. My Ace seems to have a thing for coin ghosts in the holes. After I pull the coin out and refill the hole, when I run the coil over it after I will frequently get a single ping in the tonal range of the coin I just removed from the hole, maybe a couple of little bleeps and blurps... And then the hole usually goes silent. This doesn't happen all the time, but it happens quite a lot. Part of me thinks it's the image of the coin often left in the dirt and maybe some metal that leeched into the dirt right around the coin over the years, but then I laugh off that silliness because it's obviously ghosts.

Attachments

• IMAG7914_1.jpg
    IMAG7914_1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 329
  • IMAG7920_1.jpg
    IMAG7920_1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 304
  • IMAG7926_1.jpg
    IMAG7926_1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 305
  • IMAG7917_1.jpg
    IMAG7917_1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 309
I started with the 250 and my sweet spot was about a half-inch below dead center and a smidgen to the left. I had the 6.5 x 9 stock coil.

You may have stumbled onto some really old ground!
I... Was about to write I'd be surprised if that was the case because most things were only an inch or two deep... But then my brain finally had a, "Yo Adrian" moment, it's super difficult to dig because of how Rocky the park is. All of the pennies are memorials, none of the change is that old, the deepest thing I remember digging was a beer can.
My friend just texted me back, the horse shoe was partially exposed when she found it. Yup, I'm clueless.

She did some research on the horseshoe, they didn't start making them with the nubs on the end until the 1800's

Went back to the same spot the next day. Another decent pile of clad, a few more tent pegs (it's a camping area), bunch of trash (must I dig EVERY scrap of foil that has ever been left there?!)
And this little gem... My first musket ball!!!
As you can see, it was only a couple of inches deep and the ground is mostly made of rocks. There's a possibility it's fill they used to level the area. A little winter research seems in order.

Attachments

• IMAG7936.jpg
    IMAG7936.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG7929.jpg
    IMAG7929.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 226
Really cool hunt and finds! As for your 400 pinpoint question, my object is almost always 1/2" forward of the shaft end. However, this tends to vary, I've found, with different objects and ground slope. Which makes sense of course.

I know the 400 is auto ground balance but what I like to do often when I hunt is "reboot" mine with the coil level. I am not sure why, but I swear this improves the accuracy of PP'ing. Perhaps it's just a placebo effect. Nonetheless I do it.

My son has a 300 and its PP'ing is about 2" forward of the shaft end and just to the left.

HH!

Hmmmm... Maybe it's just me and my lack of experience. I went out coin shooting this afternoon and only used the sniper coil. Between the side to side, turn 90°, side to side and occasionally using the pinpointer with that tiny coil, most of the time I was able to put the carrot down right on top of the coin.

Back
Top Bottom