Can MY Nox find tiny gold in the dirt..of course it can!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Tired of sitting on my porch watching the world go by so I went to my local park again...for the 3427th time.
I have found a ton here over the years but it can be challenging and great finds are few and far between.
Still, never give up, never surrender!

It was me and a bunch of younger groups of frisbee players, none of which were practicing safe distancing.

The goal today was to just get out and dig, everything except iron was in play.

Here is most of my trash...

Trash.jpg

Here are my 11-13 targets on the Nox...

1113.jpg

This was a solid 12 from a few inches deep.

Gol.jpg

I only saw the edge in a clump of dirt and I thought it was just an old cap from one of those tiny liquor bottles.
Picked it up and the dirt fell out of the middle, thought it was just a tiny kid's ring.
Wrong again!
I sat down and cleaned it up a bit and it got real shiney.
Looked inside and it was stamped, HAPPINESS...and then I see that beautiful 14k mark.
At home I weighed it...2.3 grams, shined it up and took a few pics then showed the wife.
Fits her pinky perfectly, I owned it for a little while but not any more.
Such is life.
That's ok, I already got my joy out of it so now it's her turn.

First gold with the Nox...I am now confident it won't be the last.

šŸ¤£....happiness. it's like they planted it on purpose to make a detectorist smile!

Congratulations

Nice piece of dirt gold...congrats on a fine hunt!

Thanks Cap, if I can get out they are all fine hunts, this one was just a bit..finer!

šŸ¤£....happiness. it's like they planted it on purpose to make a detectorist smile!

Congratulations

Tanks!
I have over 3 dozen gold finds in the dirt, all except one were a complete surprise and I was beaming on every one.

Congrats on the elusive dirt gold! Great find!

Thank you.
When I lived in Kansas I had tons of great parks to hunt and those parks gave up 5-6 golds every year for two years in that beautiful black dirt, one year I found 12.
In my trash and iron infested mineralized parks here in Bham elusive is definitely the correct term.
Still out there, though...just have to work a little harder to find them.

Last edited:
Nice going

Very nice digging that sweet gold, What were the numbers? I've yet to find gold with my NOX but i just dig 12-13 or 23 and higher. Basically I'm just looking for silver. They say with the NOX, gold can read all the way from 2 to 19. Congratulations.
HH everyone

Very nice digging that sweet gold, What were the numbers? I've yet to find gold with my NOX but i just dig 12-13 or 23 and higher. Basically I'm just looking for silver. They say with the NOX, gold can read all the way from 2 to 19. Congratulations.
HH everyone

Thanks.

Standard coil, 5 tones...11-13 changed to a high tone so I could notice them easier.
Nickels are usually a dead on 13 but I have dug them at 11, 12 and even 14 from time to time.
Also a few nickels that came in way higher even to 16-21 due to up-averaging in my mineralized, iron infested dirt.
Like my Fishers the Nox can, and will, up-average in heavy iron if conditions are right.
This was a solid 12, I dig all nickel signals and also all solid foil and tab signals because I am still a jewelry hunter at my core.
Despite my issues with mineralization and massive trash and iron the Nox with the big coil zeroed in on this tiny thing like a boss, because of the high tone I noticed it easily.
If the ring was 10k it might have come in a bit lower in foil with a lower tone...but it wasn't and didnt.
Most times I hunt with the 6" coil but I happened to have the bigger coil mounted today.
What works, works.

Last edited:
Congrats on a great find. That ring is sweet for sure. And it made mamma happy. win,win. I also dig just about every 11-thru 13 signal but have yet to dig any gold. A sh-t ton of gold pull tabs and such. lol. Good luck and stay safe. Mark

Nice dig! I have a park like that. Just when you think there's nothing left, you dig a surprise. Gold can come in almost anywhere in the non-ferrous numbers. Every once-in-a-while, digging it all pays off. :yes:

Congrats on a great find. That ring is sweet for sure. And it made mamma happy. win,win. I also dig just about every 11-thru 13 signal but have yet to dig any gold. A sh-t ton of gold pull tabs and such. lol. Good luck and stay safe. Mark

Thanks, tabs aren't fun but ya gotta dig them if you look for gold.
The solid ones, anyway.

Nice dig! I have a park like that. Just when you think there's nothing left, you dig a surprise. Gold can come in almost anywhere in the non-ferrous numbers. Every once-in-a-while, digging it all pays off. :yes:

TY!

I don't dig it all anymore, I stopped doing that a long time ago but I do dig all solid signals in the non ferrus range and some iffy ones from time to time if they are high numbers, deep or pique my interest in other ways.
Still ends up to be a lot of junk and trash but I didn't get into this hobby because I thought it would be super easy.

The Nox hits hard on nickels like it was a religion and usually they are non jumping and super stable which is unlike any other detectors I have and use or have ever used.
I hoped if I ran over gold in the nickel range it would do that also.
In this case it did so good to know.

Last edited:
No doubt Dave the Nox is capable of finding the Gold. That 14K is a great example for sure. Congrats my friend and I hope there is a lot more in yours and that Nox's future. Oh yea, I also have that issue in my home as most Rings are not mine at least for a while. Trapper

Its great to see you got another dirtG there D!

Man! Thanks for the post!...What a ride its been!..I'm thinking back when we all got into it about the same time years ago...
Congrats on the dirt Gold pull Brother!

No doubt Dave the Nox is capable of finding the Gold. That 14K is a great example for sure. Congrats my friend and I hope there is a lot more in yours and that Nox's future. Oh yea, I also have that issue in my home as most Rings are not mine at least for a while. Trapper

Thanks, Trapper!
I guess we're both lucky that wives usually don't get too excited, or grabby, when it comes to old and silver coins.
I assume. :D

Its great to see you got another dirtG there D!

Man! Thanks for the post!...What a ride its been!..I'm thinking back when we all got into it about the same time years ago...
Congrats on the dirt Gold pull Brother!

Thanks, Mud!
Yea, the good old days when you were still welcomed on Findmall, I was deep into using the great F2 and those great parks and other sites in Kansas and Missouri seemed to have lots of gold and silver jewelry and didn't mind giving it up.
Still can't believe I had 3 golds by March in 2013 and I decided to push myself and set a ridiculous goal to find 12 by the end of that year...one for each month.
Even harder to believe I actually went on the forum and told everyone about this goal which was surely a recipe for bad Karma.
I came to find out later many on the forum were following the "Great quest for gold 2013" and month by month as gold continued to show up they were with me cheering me on.
Then, after finding a mind boggling 11 for the year, on one of my last hunts on 12/3 using my new F70 for only my fourth hunt ever I hit that goal.
I knew this was never going to happen for me again, still can't believe it happened at all.
I found my average 4 or 5 more in 2014 and in 2015 we moved back to the south.
I have found plenty of old and silver coins here, some silver jewelry and other great things but only 2 gold pieces since we moved back.
As someone mentioned "I ain't in Kansas, anymore".
So I just set another goal and put all my effort into learning how to deal with my weird dirt and masking issues and converted over to be a dedicated coin hunter...but I always still hope for and look for jewelry on the side.
I am still digging, still having a ball and still finding great stuff but gold has become the rarest of the rare for me and that's ok.
That just makes every gold target I manage to find even more precious to me now.
I had my time in the sun and I am greatful, many that have been in this hobby much longer than I never had the opportunity to go on a one year wild ride like I was so extremely lucky to experience.
This is still the greatest hobby I have ever had and probably always will be no matter what I am able to find now, or in the future.

Plus, I can still easily relive that quest in all its glory when I read this thread or watch this vid.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=173725

Last edited:
Nice job on the 14k butter! I have found 1 gold ring with my Equinox in 2 1/2 years (which I was absolutely sure was a nickel).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom