Civil war button?

I.C

Went to this old home site today that my mom told me was there when she was a kid, Hunted around for about An hour and a quarter didn't find anything but trash
Then I got a signal of a penny about 4 1/2 inches down and so I dug and pulled out a 1948 wheat penny!! pretty cool but I wanted more---the sun was fading fast so I hurried and scanned around, I got a signal for another penny or dime then it went too bottle cap on me and switched between them a few times, the object was only about 2inches down So I thought it was probably new...I looked up and saw the sun dying behind the earth So i knew it was dig this now or go home.
Well I dug and too my suprise i pulled this up---I knew instantly it was cool and old after A little research im pretty sure it is a civil war button what do you guys think? on the back it says Waterbury button co. and I believe conn

DSC07050.jpg

DSC07053.jpg

DSC07049.jpg

They did make that similar button in the WWI era. It depends on the maker. I found oune that looks just like it, but the button maker only made them for WWI. The WWI and WWII are very similar. Here is a pic of mine... You're looks nearly identical. The neck shape and the rosette at the top were the differences between the WWI and WWII.
Here's what I found from an old post of mine about the two types.

This button sparked my curiosity about it once again... I dug mine out of the box and took another gander at it. I notice some differences... The first being the WWI models seem to have a skinny neck on the eagle... The other thing is the WWI models seem to have more of a circular rosette at the top as the WWII have a star shaped rosette. I can't find much on the net to confirm either... Either way they are really cool I think! Here's mine... the back reads New York City Button Works. Mine was found in the back yard of a house built in 1895.

I found this too on the NY button works...
"City Button Works were button manufacturers from 1875 through 1955 in New York and New Jersey. They were in New York and moved to New Jersey in 1923 until they sold out in 1955. This particular button is from City Works New York and therefore was probably made before 1923. Military buttons especially from WWI made by this company are about the only buttons on which their name appears as seen in the Collectors Encyclopedia of Buttons, making these buttons quite rare. It has a wire loop shank backing. "

And I found this on the REX buttons...
"measuring 10 - 1 1/8 inch= 28mm US army Brass coat buttons marked Rex Products Corp. New Rochelle, NY on the back. Buttons are in various used condition. Stock Photo used. WWII US ARMY GOLD EAGLE OVERCOAT BUTTON"

The second pic is the one I found.

Attachments

• army button Rex.jpg
    army button Rex.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 21,236
  • my army button.jpg
    my army button.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 19,198
Last edited:
Not a Civil War button but still a nice find nonetheless. That style is indicative of those made and used after May 14, 1941. That design dates back to 1902 but buttons prior to 1941 had the eagle facing left, not right.

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/uniform/buttons.html

The Civil War buttons I have show the eagle looking to the left - towards the olive branches or peace. The big difference is the eagle itself. The Civil War eagle's head kind of goes up at a 45 degree angle. You will find other varieties of eagles from the CW era, but this is the more common one.

Attachments

• group2GBdec15-09%20010.jpg
    group2GBdec15-09%20010.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 16,922
hey

my name is Steve and
i´m from Tasiilaq, eastGreenland

I found 2 interesting things in eastGreenland area.
first of all, there are 2 old military base´s (not used anymore)
military base´s used in WWII. things i found it is in 2005.

first thing I found is a old Gun. it´s Colt´s 1911A1.
the gun is so rusty, I seach for it since 2005 to find a any number from the gun.
and serienr. and patended nr. and gun holders name (first letter of the name)
and I also found the horse logo.

the serienr. is : xxxx8551
the gun holders name (first letter of the name): D

second thing i found is:
Watebury button
like this one.
http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=93&idproduct=19335
when I was found it, it so rusty but it clean now.

what would be the price for the these two things ?

Back
Top Bottom