TWRA Lands in TN...see link in thread

castleberry

Hello,

Been doing research in detecting on TWRA lands and found this

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/documents/TWRA-Strategic-Plan-2014-2020.pdf

Look at page 54 and referenced table 1-5 where it lists metal detecting as one of the many use activities ... No where does it say its prohibited, it seem it kind if acknowledges it...

I take this as its allowed, of course you could be asked to leave or worse, but reading this gives me hope. Thoughts?

Brian

There doesn't need to be an "express allowance" for md'ing to be alllowed. No more so than you'd think you need an express allowance for kite-flying, or skipping stones on the pond (might poke someone's eye out), or whistling dixie (might annoy someone).

On the contrary if there's no mention of it (ie.: silent on the subject) then presto: It's not disallowed.

Here is a copy of that table taken from the PDF you linked to and it seems to acknowledge those activities as being okay or I would think they would have included the word "prohibited" somewhere, of course people need to be sure not to leave any holes and take their trash with them or they might rethink it being allowed.

Also consider that "metal detecting" is included with activities such as "Hiking", "Sight Seeing", "Wildlife Watching" which are activities I would think are not being listed as prohibited, so I would think metal detecting is as okay to do as any of those other activities.

I would print out the page with that table to keep on you just in case anyone would question if metal detecting was okay on those lands.

TWRA_Table_1-5.jpg

TWRA, TVA, all sorts of urban myths abound regarding metal detecting...I can tell you for sure theres people MD'ing TVA sites with not a care in the world.... I know a guy who has personally given a few TVA sites a sweep and can testify as to how cleaned out they are...spic n span!

I have also written about the mussel shell divers working the bottom of these flooded TVA impoundments pulling CW and Indian artifacts...

Mussel Shell divers are an interesting tough bunch of scavengers!...Hookah, homemade gear, Briggs and Stratton motors pumping air through a nail gun hose to a guy on the bottom wearing Carrhardts and a brake drum rotor for ballast....geezling along the bottom underneath a flat boat to pull mussel shells for the implanted pearl industry..They used to make a lot of money before the pearl industry went with plastic implants....Those mussel shell divers came up with all sorts of amazing bycatch....They were some tough guys! I dont know if they are working the bottom anymore...Somebody is certainly working the TVA swim areas...it might be against the Law, but they are working it none the less...Time and Treasure waits for Nobody...:?:

TWRA, TVA, all sorts of urban myths abound regarding metal detecting......

And .... oh me oh my .... if there were any ever questions, then the people in those areas should rush to get the issue clarified. Right ? If ever any "myth" (ie.: uncertainty) existed, then .... golly ... we need to show up at their desks seeking to get the "pressing issue" clarified and resolved. Right ?

Because ... of course .... if there's not an express allowance, then it's simply not right for us to assume it's allowed after all. So we should show up at their desk, with a shovel in our hand, asking "Can I ?". Be sure to pepper the question with allusions to "holes" and "take/remove" and "indian bone" and "cultural heritage". After all, you don't want to mince words ! After all, you don't want to 'get arrested' or have your machine confiscated, right ? Hurry ! Go do the right thing now ! :laughing:

Strictly Prohibited on any and all TVA property

If you witness the looting of an archaeological site on TVA land, or see someone using a metal detector, call the TVA Police toll-free at (855) 476-2489.

Strictly Prohibited on any and all TVA property...

I wonder why such a rule ever came into being, in the first place.

The rest of your post alludes to "archaeological" concerns as the reason, eh ? Aka: Cultural heritage issues. Ok, then are we to assume that some purist archie, way-back-when, happen-chanced to see an md'r out there somewhere ? And decided "Oh me oh my, let's make a rule " ? Because .... heaven forbid the md'r might find a 51 yr. old penny ? :?:

Heres Tennessee state parks. I know because my mom lives near Edgar Evins state park

(6) The use of any mineral or metal detecting device capable of detecting the underground or
underwater location of geological, archaeological or historical objects or materials is
prohibited. Provided, however, that this rule shall not apply to:
(a) fathometers, radar equipment and electronic equipment used primarily for the
navigation and safe operation of boats and aircraft;
(b) persons possessing a permit from the State Archaeologist to conduct legitimate
archaeological research when such permit is signed by the Assistant Commissioner of
Parks and Recreation; and
(c) an individual engaged in a limited search for a lost item under supervision of the Park
Manager.
Authority: T.C.A. § 11-1-108. Administrative History: Original rule certified May 24, 1974.
Amendment filed August 24, 1987; effective October 8, 1987. Amendment filed June 14, 2010; effective
September 12, 201

Since this is a Family oriented web site I can not tell you what I really think of Arkies. They would rather see a piece of history rust away as see some one find it and save it for posterity. They have the ear of City and County governments in this area and we are losing more and more areas due to their interference.

Since this is a Family oriented web site I can not tell you what I really think of Arkies. ...

Unfortunately, they have the "knee-jerk" answer to this concern of MD'rs. Us md'rs think like you think : "What harm is it doing ?" and "It will rot to eternity, so who's been harmed ?", etc... Right ? Because, let's be dreadfully honest: Even the most WELL-FUNDED ARCHIE DEPT. of any university is lucky to get a handful of 8' x 8' pits, per year, dug, at various national parks (or whatever). Right ? Hence to cover a single federal park (thousands of acres) would take a million years, at their pace, to dig it all up. Right ? Thus what do they care if (gasp) someone digs a buffalo nickel at an old CCC era camp. Right ?

Here's their answer:

"How do *you* know where some future archie will sink his 8' x 8' square pit, in the future ? " How do you know, that the exact place you (gasp) removed that buffalo nickel, wasn't going to be the spot where an archie pit was-to-be-dug 1000 yrs. from now ? And if so, then you robbed future generations from learning about their past. You "ripped it from context", blah blah.

And example of this is the worker-bee villages that are miles from the Egyptian pyramids : Archies are currently digging up these old worker-bee cities , and learning a lot about the history of the time for the common-man. EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE MILES FROM GROUND ZERO of the pyramids themselves. So as you can see: If someone had had your philosophy, 1000 yrs. ago, and dug and looted there, then : We would not have had the cool information that is now being dug up for our-knowledge-of-history.

How can you be so cruel and heartless ? But not to worry : Send me all those mercury dimes, buffalos, etc.... and I will absolve your conscience of all guilt. Ok ? :laughing:

Since this is a Family oriented web site I can not tell you what I really think of Arkies. They would rather see a piece of history rust away as see some one find it and save it for posterity. They have the ear of City and County governments in this area and we are losing more and more areas due to their interference.

Yet when there is tax money to be made, they bulldoze and excavate and destroy habitats and everything in the path of "progress" without giving it a thought other than what "good" they are doing for the community.
They do not give a hoot about anything but the power they wield and $$$ .... imho :oldguy:

Well despite all the other discussion, which has been interesting, I plan to give the 2 WMAs near me a shot, but it will have to wait till January ... One thing for sure around here is its not cool to interrupt a mans deer hunt in this neck of the woods..

I haven't read all responses so if I am restating something I apologize. I have hunted civil war artifacts in TN and GA for over 30 years. Currently, TVA will give you a permit to metal detect certain areas for coins and jewelry, but not artifacts. The state does not usually own "Managed Land" and have no say about metal detecting as long as you have the permission of the land owner. Waterways, however still fall under TVA rules. State owned land, and much land owned by the counties, enacted the Federal law regarding artifacts, called the National Antiquities Act. Georgia requires you to have written permission from the land owner to metal detect. And you must carry the permission with you when detecting.

.... Georgia requires you to have written permission from the land owner to metal detect. And you must carry the permission with you when detecting.

Huh ? Where are you getting that ? Got a link ?

Are you trying to tell me that if your buddy "Bob" invites you over to his house, and he says "try my field with your detector". That "Bob" has to give you written permission that you must "carry with you" ?

I highly doubt that. Whatever source you are getting that from is mis-interpreting something. I'll bet that's not written anywhere as an actual law. A verbal "go ahead" is just as legally binding in the USA.

Or put it this way: If you show up at "Bob's house" to watch the super bowl with him: Do you need written permission ? If you come to Bob's Christmas party, do you need written permission ? OF COURSE NOT ! Then who-said md'ing was/is somehow so evil, that it needs written permission ? Why is md'ing any different than any other activity you and Bob can do on his land ?

Got a link ?

.... State owned land, and much land owned by the counties, enacted the Federal law regarding artifacts, called the National Antiquities Act.....

I think you are talking about ARPA. That's for federal only. And does not necessarily subrogate down to state and counties. And even on federal land does not *technically* disallow md'ing. For example BLM and NFS (federal) have express allowances. Albeit as long as you're only looking for nuggets, meteorites, new coins (less than 50 yr. old). I don't find coins older than 50 yr. old. Do you ? How good is your math ? :roll:

Don't over think things duggap. Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments, archie conventions, etc.... And go look for that gold ring your wife lost last week.

Currently in the city of Charleston the arkies are trying to get laws passed that would prohibit anything being done on a piece of property until such time as they have been able to check it for historic sensitivity. So if you want to build on a vacant piece of property you have to wait for the arkies to give you permission. Demolish a building and then have to wait for the arkies to give permission before you can rebuild.

Talk about a Power Grab.

QUOTE=Mikey48;3166290]Yet when there is tax money to be made, they bulldoze and excavate and destroy habitats and everything in the path of "progress" without giving it a thought other than what "good" they are doing for the community.
They do not give a hoot about anything but the power they wield and $$$ .... imho :oldguy:[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to research the Georgia code for you, but we all carry a preprinted form to obtain permission. It is being enforced by the Game Wardens and has been on the books now for over 15 years. A similar bill was passed in Alabama, but was shortly thereafter repealed. In Tennessee our biggest problem is with the TVA. They will arrest you for diving in the TN river, but allowed a company moving in to dredge over 1/2 mile of river bottom, right beside where all the Union warehouse were built. But you are certainly welcomed to review the Georgia Code Annotated. And then I will give you an address to send your apology.

I'm not going to research the Georgia code for you, ....

I'm only talking about Georgia private land md'ing. There will be nothing in the law/code that requires an md'r to have "written permission" to be able to detect private land.

Eg.: if you go over to "Bob's" house, and detect his front yard (or back 40 acres or whatever), Bob can just tell you "go ahead" verbally. In the same way that Bob can invite you over for a BBQ at the super bowl or Christmas party, and you don't need "written permission" to be in his house, swim in his pool, join his BBQ, etc.....

I have seen archie junk, where they offer their interpretation, and say "written permission" blah blah . But trust me, it's not in actual law. Me thinks you are looking at some archie stuff, that's not in any actual codified law. If you have something in-actual-law to the contrary, I would love to see it.

Back
Top Bottom