Arduino based pulse induction metal detector

How is your metal detector design circuitry similar to or different from commercial designs? What commercial detectors are available in Russia? I have been using White's Electronics machines for many years and never really thought about the guts that make them work. Wish I had learned more electronics in school, this is super impressive work you are doing, congrats!

Wish I had learned more electronics in school, this is super impressive work you are doing, congrats!
Thanks!!!

How is your metal detector design circuitry similar to or different from commercial designs?
Although the principle of operation of pulse metal detectors is the same, their designs are very diverse. I tried to make the metal detector as simple as possible (one gain stage on a conventional op amp, integrator and filter are implemented in software, on a not too powerful microcontroller with no outstanding ADC), but nonetheless possessing acceptable characteristics.

What commercial detectors are available in Russia?
My native language is russian, but i live in Belarus now. In our country, metal search is very limited at the legislative level.

Sorry for saying Russia; I should have noticed Belarus as your location in the heading. I visited your webpage and am really impressed. I like how you used the lcd from a Nokia phone in your build too. That was one of my favorite cell phones years ago, and I only stopped using it because the cellular company made me upgrade. I guess if you cannot buy a metal detector, a smart educated person will build their own! What a great project to get younger people started in electronics and development too. I will be interested to see your updates as you keep tweaking your system and using it to search for treasure. Good luck!

Thanks!!!
rdomxydhpklr1m33au4n2dz7i84.png

Good luck!

I decided to numerically evaluate the stability of my metal detector - it turned out to be quite satisfactory: after 15 minutes of operation, the detection range of targets decreases by less than 4%.

Great to see. Nice work!

Are detectors difficult to get in Belarus or is detecting itself not allowed in public areas? Looks like a very good solution either way.

Great to see. Nice work!

Are detectors difficult to get in Belarus or is detecting itself not allowed in public areas? Looks like a very good solution either way.

Very thanks!!!

In our country, not only instrumental, but also visual search is completely forbidden for amateurs.
:detector:

FoxyPI firmware v3.6:
FoxyPIv3_6.ino.eightanaloginputs.hex

What's new in version 3.6:

+ added the ability to configure the guard interval using the GUARD item of the service menu;
+ added auto-tuning of levels 1 and 2 of the audiovisual indication in static mode;
+ integrated test mode (to activate, after switching on, hold the control button until the graph of the signal curve appears)

Errors that may occur during zeroing:
FoxyPI_v3_errors.png

ERR 01 - the saturation section was not found in the signal:
* coil break
* no pulse generation
* the signal during zeroing is so strong that the saturation region is shifted beyond the registration window

ERR 02:
* the signal during zeroing is strong enough so that the saturation region lasts until the end of the registration window

Influence of the value of the GUARD parameter on the detection range of the golden ring (L):

GUARD L, cm
500 ---> 12
750 ---> 10
1000 ---> 8
1500 ---> 7

It is possible to decrease it even below 500, but in this case false positives may appear.

Back
Top Bottom