Anything good?

Pulltabpro

Here are some pictures of some of the things I have found lately. In one of the pictures I found an old axe head of some sort. Not sure how old though. The picture of a rectangular piece of metal with a hole in it on my bumper, I have no idea what that is, but we found it about 14 inches deep in the woods near an old stone foundation. I thought we would never get it out of the ground. Roots....[emoji19]If you guys can identify anything, I'd love to here your comments. Thanks.
44704564fa7d40b2898a1977438e1ef6.jpg
3cdc563654926b76365248343ed8ce11.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I don't see anything to write home about, but what you have found would be intriguing enough that I would hit that spot again a time or two. The item in the upper left appears to be a suspender clip. I would guess you are in a spot that would date about 1880 to 1900.

The upper left beside the nail looks like a zipper pull. They usually have some writing to where you could get a date on the company.

Looks like some square nails too? Those are quite old. I like the axe or hatchet head. Looks like a good electrolysis project! (don't ask me how, but look it up. Old axe heads look great after electrolysis)
The object in the lower right has some silver shine, and no rust. I'd take a closer look at that piece.

Cool! I will definitely hit that spot some more. Thanks

The axe head on the right looks like a framing hatchet. Ive seen a Keen Kutter that looked like it

Take a look at the nail heads and see if they are flat or rounded. Rounded heads are much older, giving you a better age of your site

love the ax head

Cool. Yes, I plan on hitting that spot again soon. Thanks for the comments!

Clean up the old clock part and that axe head at least. I do electrolysis and I can tell you it is well worth the time and effort. Take a look in my photos for the clock part as well. I would go back to that spot. Good luck!

Cool! Thanks

That piece is commonly known as a shingling hatchet. Hammer on one end for pounding nails, blade for cutting your shingles down to size, and you can't see it with the rust but on one side of the blade there should be a notch to use as a nail puller. See pic below.

Very top left - that little oval looks perhaps like a hat buckle or something like it - that would be the most interesting piece to me. Small circular piece on the bottom is a clock or pocketwatch gear.

On the far left of your pic, the flat rectangular piece of metal is an old hoe blade. Looks to me like an old farmhouse type of site - and yes they produce tons of iron - often times you have to get through that stuff to find the goodies. Using a smaller coil helps. Good luck out there...

iu

That piece is commonly known as a shingling hatchet. Hammer on one end for pounding nails, blade for cutting your shingles down to size, and you can't see it with the rust but on one side of the blade there should be a notch to use as a nail puller. See pic below.

Very top left - that little oval looks perhaps like a hat buckle or something like it - that would be the most interesting piece to me. Small circular piece on the bottom is a clock or pocketwatch gear.

On the far left of your pic, the flat rectangular piece of metal is an old hoe blade. Looks to me like an old farmhouse type of site - and yes they produce tons of iron - often times you have to get through that stuff to find the goodies. Using a smaller coil helps. Good luck out there...

iu
Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate it. I'll be asking lots of questions to learn what some of this stuff is. Found this today around an old abandoned house. Probably early 1900s. Mostly junk. Well, probably all junk. Lol. Any idea what the blade like things are at the top of 1st pic? I found something similar(2nd picture) a while back in the woods near an old stone foundation.
0b4090a2cfdebadb1ff03cdc6c7d3106.jpg
4ce9cc5d9770efcb6057c3c36caef277.jpg

Clean up the old clock part and that axe head at least. I do electrolysis and I can tell you it is well worth the time and effort. Take a look in my photos for the clock part as well. I would go back to that spot. Good luck!
Awesome. Yes, I've been watching some YouTube vids about electrolysis and I definitely want to get set up to do that. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate it. I'll be asking lots of questions to learn what some of this stuff is. Found this today around an old abandoned house. Probably early 1900s. Mostly junk. Well, probably all junk. Lol. Any idea what the blade like things are at the top of 1st pic? I found something similar(2nd picture) a while back in the woods near an old stone foundation.
0b4090a2cfdebadb1ff03cdc6c7d3106.jpg
4ce9cc5d9770efcb6057c3c36caef277.jpg

It takes a while to get familiar with a lot of this stuff, and then after a while you will find similar things turning up again and again and find you're turning into an expert... ;) The triangular large piece of metal up top, I believe, is a harrow tooth off of a plow - its a big one if it is that - you will find a lot of them that are triangles maybe 3x3 or 4x4 inches.

Towards the bottom right theres a rectangle with little parallel slots in it - thats a harmonica reed, at least half of one. Those turn up all the time, and hunt long enough and you'll eventually find an intact harmonica. Some of them had silver cases. I've only been that lucky once. On the far left I can't tell if thats a flattened tobacco tin from the old days but some had a shape similar. Thats about all I can eyeball from here. Keep posting your pics - I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys looking through and ID'ing other people's finds.

You're digging a lot of iron which means you're basically digging it all which is a great place to begin. When I started out I dug a lot more iron and as a result I made some incredible finds that I would just pass over today. Over time when you really get a good sense of your detector's 'language' and the sound of the tone, not just the VDI number, you'll spend less time digging iron. That said, a nice flat piece of iron is going to sound good on most machines. Good luck to you...

It takes a while to get familiar with a lot of this stuff, and then after a while you will find similar things turning up again and again and find you're turning into an expert... ;) The triangular large piece of metal up top, I believe, is a harrow tooth off of a plow - its a big one if it is that - you will find a lot of them that are triangles maybe 3x3 or 4x4 inches.

Towards the bottom right theres a rectangle with little parallel slots in it - thats a harmonica reed, at least half of one. Those turn up all the time, and hunt long enough and you'll eventually find an intact harmonica. Some of them had silver cases. I've only been that lucky once. On the far left I can't tell if thats a flattened tobacco tin from the old days but some had a shape similar. Thats about all I can eyeball from here. Keep posting your pics - I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys looking through and ID'ing other people's finds.

You're digging a lot of iron which means you're basically digging it all which is a great place to begin. When I started out I dug a lot more iron and as a result I made some incredible finds that I would just pass over today. Over time when you really get a good sense of your detector's 'language' and the sound of the tone, not just the VDI number, you'll spend less time digging iron. That said, a nice flat piece of iron is going to sound good on most machines. Good luck to you...
Yeah, I dig just about everything right now. I'd love to be selective, but I'm just enjoying finding old stuff. Even if it is worthless. Thanks for all the tips and taking a look at the pics!

That piece right under the shovel handle could be part of a froe or riving axe used to cut wooden shingles. Does it look like it was broken?
It didnt look to be broken. It looked like an axe head, just without the hole for the handle. The sharpened end looked to be slightly bent.

Back
Top Bottom