• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

And I almost threw it away....

Found this lighter about 3 weeks ago.. Noticed the lid had an odd shape to it.. Then threw it in my trash pouch.. Forgot about it.. I always look through my trash after a hunt. Because I have found things- that first looked like trash-- that we're not .So I pick up the lighter and look at it .. Could just toss it in some vinegar for a few days and see what it looks like--- or throw it away ? Tossed it in some vinegar. After a few days it looked like this.Looked it up on EBAY by the maker.. One just sold on EBAY in working condition for $810... Figured it outa still have some value to a collector in non working condition. So I cleaned it up as good as I could and put it on EBAY for a 10 day auction.. Auction ended yesterday...Turns out to be the most valuable item I've ever found in 8+ years of detecting...and I almost threw it away!!! Tony AZ..
6c557a026d4d46e18522d71d72268f43.jpg
b5c5ccc2658c168c2d4b3087a8cee419.jpg
42e714781679f9451deb4cfc61179e4e.jpg
29cbbb5bf17cfbe423909dd0aa761b24.jpg

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

LOL that's awesome! Congratulations!
Bob

Congrats! Further proof that an items worth really is what someone is willing to pay. I wouldn't have thought it would be that much either but then again I'm not a lighter collector.

Wow..that proves the old saying...one mans trash is another mans treasure.. great find

Wow thats crazy! Never would have thought...but then again you could probably sell a bag of lint on ebay, theres always somebody looking for something. Congrats on a great find.

Now that is a cool story. I guarantee you that I would have thrown it in the garbage.

GREAT sale of what I DEFINITELY would have dumped in the first garbage can I saw. Maybe I should start holding on to those odd items I consider junk.
Like they say...One man's trash is another man's treasure !

Awesome find!!

I have my father's Thoren's lighter he carried through WWII. It is inscribed with his units name and his initials. About my most precious keepsake!!

Absolutely amazing sale, TonyAZ! I probably would have researched it too, but I never would have bothered trying to sell it - no way I would have guessed it would go for that much!! Gonna have to rethink my "worthless" items!

Congrats!

Unreal! Thanks for posting this. I don't hope to ever dig one of those, but one could surface at a thrift sale or something. Now I know something of value that I didn't know before. :cool3:

Amazing!!! It would be sitting in one of my junk but interesting finds bins at home never to see the light of day. Hope my wife doesn't look at this site or she'll have every pulltab and piece of canslaw I've ever found for sale thinking it would fund our next vacation :lol:

Back
Top Bottom