First Large Cents

RichieSoprano

Don't know how to post pics...but yesterday found my firs large coppers, an 1803 and an 1817 Coronet essentially stacked together in the hole. Also nailed a solid brass paperweight cruise liner with wording: save your space early on one side and bound for Bermuda 1923 on the other. Weighs about 5 ounces. Bonus just before I left was a mid to late 1800s horseshoe for pulling. The site had a house on it from 1753 and was moved 1850 to another location(which I also have an invitation to search). The horseshoe(and remnants of rigging for pulling) seems to have been an artifact of at least the animals of the time, but cannot rule out the skidding of the house up the road by the wealthy mill owner of the time.
This was my sixth trip out with the Tek Patriot and the sixth trip with a modern detector. I haven't been out prior to that since around 20 yrs ago and that was only for one summer with a 25 dollar yard sale detector for dry sand on the Jerse Shore...so yeah...I'm braggin' a little.

Don't know how to post pics...

Gotta see those coppers!

If you're on a computer, and want pics to be hosted on this website, then use the paper clip icon and not the landscape image icon. (You want the paper clip by by the happy face..not the one with the Earth.) You only get the paper clip icon if you are making a new post or click the "post reply" button. You won't see it with the "quick reply" option at the bottom of the discussion.

The paper clip icon will bring up a window to find the photos on your computer and then upload them. This will show the photos at the bottom of your post. (There are ways to insert them within the text, but I won't get into that.) After selecting/browsing for the photos, be sure to click "upload" before you close the window.

The one catch is that you need to reduce the file sizes before uploading. You do that by cropping, resizing, and typically compressing a bit when resaving. Photos from phones and cameras today have huge file sizes by default that are completely unnecessary for viewing on a web page.

Generally, a photo file size is going to be small enough if you open it up in a photo viewer, put the zoom at 100%(full size), and it's the same size on the screen as what you want it to appear in your post. But, straight out of a camera, a 100% view is going to be huge! Your phone or camera might have an option to make a copy that is a smaller size while keeping the original.

Or, move the photo to your computer and open it in any simple photo or drawing program. Even Microsoft Paint can do it. Crop, resize until it's the correct size at 100% zoom view, and save a new copy. Then, upload as described above.

I think you can post directly from a phone if you use the Tapatalk app, but I've never bothered. I put all of my photos onto my computer anyway, so I just post from there.

Last edited:
... an 1803 and an 1817 Coronet essentially stacked together in the hole. ...

How did I know, that when I read this part of the text, that I could effortlessly look to the upper right, to the member-info, to see that it was an east coaster ? And sure enough: New Jersey.

Get used to it. LC's (and colonial coppers, busts, cobs, etc....) are everywhere over there. Brimming out of every sandbox. Sick sick sick. :sissyfight:

Oh, BTW : Congratz ! ;)

Thanks guys. It means a lot coming from experienced coin hunters. For the guy who noticed my moniker: fuggedaboudit! Actually don't own a computer. All I have is a cell phone. My detector has more computing power than my whole house. Today I went back and got a solid silver signal at 3 inches down near an oak tree along a small brook. Tree looks abt 150 yrs so I got pretty excited. Got REALLY EXCITED when after 6 inches down and between big roots I hit a metal plate that gave off a hollow sound when struck. Another hour with axe, crowbar and my ice chipper revealed.....nuttin'. But that's how they roll. Like the fox said, "some days chickens, some days feathers."

How did I know, that when I read this part of the text, that I could effortlessly look to the upper right, to the member-info, to see that it was an east coaster ? And sure enough: New Jersey.

Get used to it. LC's (and colonial coppers, busts, cobs, etc....) are everywhere over there. Brimming out of every sandbox. Sick sick sick. :sissyfight:

Oh, BTW : Congratz ! ;)

Well not every sandbox, but fact is, we find so many we're starting to call them clad.

Back
Top Bottom