• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Ring Movement in Sandy Ocean Surf

Golden Oaks

Forum Supporter
I know areas where rings have been lost and, to my knowledge, not found. I understand a strong storm will relocate a ring. I also wonder if a ring is lost in 3 foot of water during the low tide, will it eventually work it's way up the beach? I believe that a man's gold ring will sink in the sand to a harder layer of shells or clay (hard pan layer). It will remain there until a force of water pushes it either up or down. I also realize there are small lower pockets of these hard pan layers that cause lead weights and rings to gather as if they were in a concave bowl. My friend says that through time the rings will be moved higher up with the seasonal sand movements and eventually make it to the wet sand of the b

I wish there was a way to test items in the surf for verification.

Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

Good question. The problem is: Sometimes the sand is "going out" and sometimes the sand is "coming in". And whether the target moves, depends on its weight/density. Perhaps a fishing sinker or gold rings will "stay put" (in modest/slight sand movement) versus a coin (flat and light) will move more easily. And if the erosion/in-fill is severe, then EVERYTHING moves (including boulders, etc....)

Wish there was a scientific formula. If there was, everyone would be waiting at your doorstep to incorporate it into a computer program, to know where mother nature is putting the goodies

It does not just move in and out, a cross current will take things 100's of feet left or right from where they were dropped as well...
People have done tests with lead rings and they spread out fairly far if I remember correctly.

I know areas where rings have been lost and, to my knowledge, not found. I understand a strong storm will relocate a ring. I also wonder if a ring is lost in 3 foot of water during the low tide, will it eventually work it's way up the beach? I believe that a man's gold ring will sink in the sand to a harder layer of shells or clay (hard pan layer). It will remain there until a force of water pushes it either up or down. I also realize there are small lower pockets of these hard pan layers that cause lead weights and rings to gather as if they were in a concave bowl. My friend says that through time the rings will be moved higher up with the seasonal sand movements and eventually make it to the wet sand of the b

Your thoughts?

It could depending on conditions.. for 3 years I had been searching for a antique diamond ring that was lost in chest deep water... a storm threw it up into the dry sand where a friend of mine found it... he lied about finding it as well trying to throw me off but I knew better :laughing:

I would think it would be more likely that lighter weight rings will get thrown up over heavier rings that tend to sink faster...

It could depending on conditions.. for 3 years I had been searching for a antique diamond ring that was lost in chest deep water... a storm threw it up into the dry sand where a friend of mine found it... he lied about finding it as well trying to throw me off but I knew better :laughing:

I would think it would be more likely that lighter weight rings will get thrown up over heavier rings that tend to sink faster...

:lol::lol::laughing::laughing:

EVERYTHING will move in and out , left and right , from the bottom to the top. How do you think old gold and coins are occasionally found after 80 - 100 years ? It all depends on the severity , direction , winds , etc of the storms. It's true that there are "black holes" or a "vortex" that will trap items for long periods of time. But eventually they will come up as well. That's why you always want to hunt a negative tide DURING a storm. Very few are willing to do this.

The only real way to test target movement that I learned long ago is this : take your fishing rod to the beach during some heavy surf. Tie a 3 ounce sinker on ( doesn't matter what type ) and cast it out far. Though there is some drag because of the line , try to stay in front of where you made your cast. You will find yourself walking down the beach in no time !

A lot is going to depend on the amount of movement in the water. You get down to the hard pan..... and get enough movement even a boat anchor moves. Surface matters too. Lighter metal rings can move much easier and is why we find more of them near shore. The less hard pan.... the more fluffy the water makes the sand..... things then move with that sand based on their weight, water movement, depth, design and depth.

I really don't think there is away to set down and say, I know whats going to happen. I have seen a few patterns that went well but the daily stuff. Never...For me, the best is to get out and do the leg time. One thing I do know, things can change fast, so if you happen into one of those low, sinker ridden spots...hammer as much as possible. It maybe gone the next day.

Last edited:
There's been times that Ive hunted major potential honey holes. Where it was sand it is now rocks and clay. The surf is flat and you can hunt your butt off. NOTHING.. #$%DSFRE$%@#!.. Then on the way back to the car you find a gold ring in the trash laden dry sand.

You find it where you find it and the only way to find it is to put in your dues. Often the sad truth. Research and understanding of "the right times and spots to hunt" are important but you're guaranteed to find squat if you sit home and say, "Ah it's a crappy tide today, I'll wait till next weeks low tide cycle.?

As OBN said and we all know, if you find the right conditions hit it hard, it will be gone soon. In a few spots here if it washes right out it gets down to a sticky mud layer, that really holds on to things well, but there might be 3 feet of sand on top. Some spots I hit have been covered in for YEARS and have not reopened, but I know when i start to see certain landmarks reappear it is time to get back in there.

We have found some lost for several years and located the owners. They described almost exactly the same place it was lost as it was found. I also have watched coins and rings move uphill during a hurricane event across the top of the ground from the wave action.

I wouldnt necessarily go by where someone SAID they lost their ring. How many have found rings or hunted for rings the owner said ..... i lost it right HERE? Then you find it...... 100 yards away in the dry sand. People realize they lost it and believe they lost it in a given spot..... which isnt always the case and the reason some though it move 100 yards down the beach.

I had a recent return of a class ring to a girl in RI....... she had lost it over a year ago. When i told her where on the beach i found it ..... she said yes thats exactly where i saw it go off..... so hers didnt move much and no one apparently hit it as a recent drop.

There used to be a guy on here who did that. Think his name was Midas..

Yes , there a few tough guys who will hunt the low tides during big surf. But the real STUDS are doing it at HIGH tide , 6ft+. Waves crashing like Wiamea shorbreak. Extremely treacherous. 10ft+ cuts in the sand. Getting pinned
Though THE KOB hates to admit , he is backing off some of those events now !

it is pretty simple. Tide, currents, wind direction, beach eroding or beach building, rip currents will move most of your targets and junk where ever the current conditions decide to move them.

So there is no real way to predict other than the following.

Referring only to wet sand and hunting in the surf.

If you are finding light objects, like pop tops,bottle caps fishing lures and other light junk you are in the wrong area for heavy targets like rings, bracelets, lead weights.

So move to another area.

When you start finding heavy items like lead weights hunt that area carefully.

When the sand under your bare feet is soft, the beach is building and burying heavy targets.

when the sand under your feet is firm, the beach is eroding and removing layers of sand from the deeper heavy targets.

That is about it folks.

HH on the wet beach and in the water.

Yes , there a few tough guys who will hunt the low tides during big surf. But the real STUDS are doing it at HIGH tide , 6ft+. Waves crashing like Wiamea shorbreak. Extremely treacherous. 10ft+ cuts in the sand. Getting pinned
Though THE KOB hates to admit , he is backing off some of those events now !

I love hunting during storms.. saw a gold ring rolling down the slope stomped on it before it got into the waves... :D

it is pretty simple. Tide, currents, wind direction, beach eroding or beach building, rip currents will move most of your targets and junk where ever the current conditions decide to move them.

So there is no real way to predict other than the following.

Referring only to wet sand and hunting in the surf.

If you are finding light objects, like pop tops,bottle caps fishing lures and other light junk you are in the wrong area for heavy targets like rings, bracelets, lead weights.

So move to another area.

When you start finding heavy items like lead weights hunt that area carefully.

When the sand under your bare feet is soft, the beach is building and burying heavy targets.

when the sand under your feet is firm, the beach is eroding and removing layers of sand from the deeper heavy targets.

That is about it folks.

HH on the wet beach and in the water.

Only 1 HUGE problem with the light stuff theory. That was the typical "old school " thinking. Over the last 4,5 years I have been working these types of areas very slowly and have made some epic diamond ring scores. They are primarily all women's rings. Very light in weight , up to 18 inches deep and almost always up high on the slope with this light trash. These are being thrown up on the beach.

Many guys still think the way you do and I feel you could be missing out. You might be surprised !

You can thank The KOB later....

Back
Top Bottom