Equinox NOX New V3 Update

Leave-No-Coins-Behind

Forum Supporter
Minelab released a new update for the Nox.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/equinox-software-update-3-0

A new Single Frequency of 4 kHz has been added to the existing 5, 10, 15, 20 and 40 kHz options. This new 4 kHz frequency enhances the detection of large deep targets, particularly those found in parts of Asia. As a result of optimising for these conditions, this new frequency may respond differently for users compared to the other single frequencies.

All other single and multi-frequency settings are unchanged in their performance.

In addition to the 4 kHz upgrade feature, various stability enhancements have been included.

I wonder what the stability enhancements are? Now if they could make an enhancement for black sand! I have entire areas where my Nox is so overloaded it can’t see anything but iron.

I am like Chris, I hope the stabity enhancements will...

totally eliminate foil, zinc coins, pop tops, pull tabs, nails and tell us what carat gold jewelry that is under the coil so I can bend down and dig only 14k and above.

Also distinguish between a Union and Confederate belt buckle. Oh, heck I can live without that one, if they just tell me that it is a Civil War belt buckle.

"Stability enhancements..."
Ha, I have been fooled by this before.
The doctor gave the wife pills for this exact thing and they didn't work.
At all.

Ha-Ha, love it!

I saw this earlier today, and I am not updating until I hear some good things about it. As far as I can tell this one does not offer much.

Its weird that you cant find the update just by navigating to the Equinox downloads section...still only has the 2.0 listed. I had to follow the link JAK provided.

JAK, how did you find out about the update?

Updated it with no issues. Now to wait for the rain to soften up the ground.:D

Its weird that you cant find the update just by navigating to the Equinox downloads section...still only has the 2.0 listed. I had to follow the link JAK provided.

I didn't even pay attention. I went to the website and connected my 800. It told me it was up to date. Now that I think about it, it only had 2.0 listed. I'll have to go back through that link.

Update

jl1252...I found it on another web site channel. I too, had to do some hunting to find the actual link. But when I type in the Minelab v3 update it appeared.

Stabilizing numbers ? Ha ! Good luck with that one. I think it is just inherent with these multi-freq machines. Add in soil conditions and it's even more of an enigma.

Look at the id lot's of 40s iron does the same how is that useful. sube

Call me skeptical. I just googled https/minelab.com and they are not showing any new update. And maybe I'm mistaken but update came on a weekend when most people work Mon.thru Fri. Hmmm? Update video looked pretty authentic. I will check again on Monday.

Call me skeptical. I just googled https/minelab.com and they are not showing any new update. And maybe I'm mistaken but update came on a weekend when most people work Mon.thru Fri. Hmmm? Update video looked pretty authentic. I will check again on Monday.

I can definitely understand your skepticism - I was thinking the same thing about the timing! But I was seeing enough Equinox users who I trust and/or know personally do the update for me to trust it as legit. I'm not normally a "first adopter", but since Minelab allows you to roll back any update to any other previous firmware version, I was willing to give it a shot.

Anyway, I updated this morning, and all went smoothly as far as I can tell. Conditions are way too dry and hot here to do much testing, but I might try it out on an unplanted field later this evening. In my area, whenever Multi mode becomes impacted by EMI, I almost always find that the lower frequencies are the culprit - shifting to single frequency mode usually reveals 5kHz and sometimes 10kHz are impacted, too. I'll be curious to see if 4kHz is somehow less affected sometimes. Regardless, it'll be nice to have the extra option to try.

4MHz is a Big Improvement over 5MHz!

Installed the update and took my 800 to a local park that I hunt often for deep silver. I started with the stock coil, running in Park 1 in single frequency 4MHz. I was immediately surprised how different the machine was working. There were deep targets everywhere, and many were high tones. I was immediately suspect. All-metal mode revealed many of these targets were iron. I dug several of the targets and they were disappointing--clad and aluminum that gave a much higher Target ID. I started to use my Custom Profile in Multi-frequency to cross-check the Target ID. [This requires only 1 button press on the 800; I turn the User Profile on/off to switch between 4MHz and Multi.]

I did not find any silver today, but I did find several deep dimes from the 1960's and '70s. In 4MHz the Target IDs were 34-38, but switching over to Multi and the Target ID became faint and fell to 26-28. I felt that if I was searching in Multi I could have easily have missed those targets.

I dug several targets that gave Target ID of 26-32 in 4MHz, but were 16-19 in Multi. Yup, round aluminum pull rings. I dug a target that gave a solid 21-22 in 4MHz, but was a 3 in Multi--it was a 3"-deep crumpled gum wrapper.

I dug no iron because the signals were easy to distinguish. I usually dig several bolts, nails, and bazinga but not today. I didn't realize that until I wrote this. I was not cherry-picking either. I set out to dig as many decent targets as possible to find out how it responds to different targets.

For the sake of brevity, here is my impression of the software update. Yes, 4MHz is MUCH more stable than 5MHz--that change alone is worth the update. In 4MHz the VDI is more stable, the numbers don't bounce like they do in 5MHz, and EMI is imperceptible. (Admittedly there is little EMI where I was but 5MHz was still not stable.) Deeper targets have a sharper tone compared to 5MHz and Multi. I did not notice any change to stability in Multi-frequency compared to pre-update.

Conclusion: The 4MHz will go deeper and is more stable than 5MHz and 10MHz. I say this because I compared readings in each of these frequencies, and yes the machine was noise-cancelled and ground-balanced in each frequency. The audio signal is just as consistent as the Target ID, making good targets more obvious--this should aid new users.

There are a few drawbacks:

1. The Target ID is very inaccurate in 4MHz. You can remedy this by cross-checking in Multi before digging deep targets. Requires only 1-button press on the 800 if you turn Custom Profile on/off.

2. 4MHz is not used in Multi mode. Hopefully Minelab changes this in the next update by substituting 4MHz for 5MHz--once they figure out how to improve target ID in 4MHz.

Happy Hunting!

Back
Top Bottom