Hoover Boys First Garrett APEX Hunt

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Attachments

• 104407513_3000398250051877_8577241299873159752_o.jpg
    104407513_3000398250051877_8577241299873159752_o.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,419
Nothing to chew on. Lots of already dug targets, and most of the targets that weren't already dug were shallow high tone screamers. They have a good time and dig tons of great stuff. Nice guys, I'm sure. But, it's not something you watch to learn anything about detectors or detecting technique. Colonial coin and relic identification, maybe. Even in a 30 minute video it's not their style to be quiet for even 45 seconds to simply record the audio and screen as somebody swings it over the field. That's not what their channel is all about, and you can't blame them for giving their viewers what they want.

Hey Garrett, send me a personal message if you want to give me an Apex and I'll gladly take it out and film some footage in challenging spots with potential. Not places where you can literally trip over a large cent or walk away with a handful of keepers even if your detector is a potato on the end of a stick. I'll compare the Apex pre-dig to the AT Pro and the Equinox with full audio and screen capture. I'll even demonstrate how to use the pinpoint feature to dig plugs the size of a soda can rather than a hub cap (and still not ding the target).

Last edited:
Nothing to chew on, obviously. Lots of already dug targets, and most of the targets that weren't already dug were shallow high tone screamers. They have a good time and dig tons of great stuff. Nice guys, I'm sure. But, it's not something you watch to learn anything about detectors or detecting technique. Colonial coin and relic identification, maybe. Even in a 30 minute video I can't imagine them spending even 45 seconds simply recording the audio and screen as somebody simply swung it over the field. That's not what their channel is all about, and you can't blame them for giving their viewers what they want.

Hey Garrett, send me a personal message if you want to give me an Apex and I'll gladly take it out and film some footage in challenging spots with potential. Not places where you can literally trip over a large cent or walk away with a handful of keepers even if you used a potato on the end of a stick. I'll compare it pre-dig to the AT Pro and the Equinox full audio and screen capture. I'll even demonstrate how to use the pinpoint feature to dig plugs the size of a soda can rather than a hub cap (and still ding the target).

Do you think it's telling that we don't see video footage like that yet? I'm sure there's a reason and the cynic in me thinks it's because the Apex isn't any better than the Equinox. I could very well be wrong though.

There might be some "professional courtesy" reasons, or maybe even legal reasons.

I would have like to have seen them run both their AT Pro and the Apex over a target before digging to see how each registered. I do enjoy their videos though.

Do you think it's telling that we don't see video footage like that yet?

It could be the best detector ever made, but there's no reason for Garrett to declare war on the other manufacturers if they can win (i.e., meet their sales goals) without fighting the comparison battle. If Garrett wanted bunch of people to do comparison videos they have plenty of people who know a million times more than I do with access to a wider variety of places to hunt.

So, why give it to some guys who barely demonstrate it? Because Garrett only needs to show that "serious hunters" accept it as a "serious machine." As far as Garrett is concerned, whether it's better or worse than XYZ detector is for other people to worry about. As long as it's accepted as a serious machine, then Garrett will be busy selling them.

Last edited:
It could be the best detector ever made, but there's no reason for Garrett to declare war if they can win (i.e., meet their sales goals) without fighting. If Garrett wanted bunch of people to do comparison videos they have plenty of people who know a million times more than I do with access to a wider variety of places to hunt.

So, why give it to some guys who barely demonstrate it? Because Garrett only needs to show that "serious hunters" accept it as a "serious machine." As far as Garrett is concerned, whether it's better or worse than XYZ detector is for other people to worry about. As long as its accepted as a serious machine, then Garrett will be too busy selling them.

Interesting point and I can't disagree with you there.

Interesting point and I can't disagree with you there.

Until they come out with a waterproof version, you'll still see two of their biggest "stars" using AT series detectors for their water hunting--NuggetNoggin and AquaChigger.

The Hoover Boys are a good fit. They just need something with good separation, limits iron falsing, and can go deep.

The viper coil design should have great separation, and multifrequency should handle falsing iron better than the AT detectors. As far as depth, those Hoover Boys will know pretty quick if the 6x11 coil results in a decrease in deep small coins and buttons. Maybe it won't. The video didn't show one way or the other.

5 tones are probably overkill for them. I thought it was interesting that he mentioned getting used to the extra tones compared to the AT series. He picked up right away on the fact that you don't want to get fooled into thinking something isn't solid just because the audio is bouncing in a tight pattern across a tone break. The more tone ranges you have the more you're going to hear that happen, especially with relics. They might find that they prefer 3 tones. I assume they're less focused on hearing a more precise conductivity range and more focused on hearing size, depth, and repeatability.

Last edited:
Great video for the equinox from what I've seen. Not sure why garrett would promote this video! Lots of subtle hints in this video to remind you the apex is in the upper entry level class of detectors and not on the same level as the nox. Good direction for them to head though. USA's last hope.

I totally agree that was not much of a demonstration. A very short hunt, and was hoping for more. Did you notice the Apex was making a lot of noise like they had them jacked wide open. I would not think EMI would be bad where they were. Might have been cause grass was tall and they needed them cranked with the narrow Viper coil.

I totally agree that was not much of a demonstration. A very short hunt, and was hoping for more. Did you notice the Apex was making a lot of noise like they had them jacked wide open. I would not think EMI would be bad where they were. Might have been cause grass was tall and they needed them cranked with the narrow Viper coil.

I noticed large electrial transmission lines within couple hundred yards. That said, did seem noisey.

Marketing

Garrett is stretching this APEX reveal out as long as they can. In my opinion they don't want test gardens, air checks or anything else. Not yet anyways. I'd like to see some results. Less fluff more details.

Last edited:

The video before this one(same property),I believe they said the electric fence was causing interference with the Max. Probably the same interference. They do like to run them hot though.

Rule#1:
What and how you see others use (add any item here) will not be your results. Could be better or could be way less.

Has any company rep had a Metal Detecting get together to show off any equipment and try it out? If something like this happens in the north east let me know!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Rule#1:
What and how you see others use (add any item here) will not be your results. Could be better or could be way less.

Has any company rep had a Metal Detecting get together to show off any equipment and try it out? If something like this happens in the north east let me know!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

One of the advantages of a strong metal detecting club is the opportunity to have club hunts and try out different detectors owned by other members. A large club could probably get one the manufacturers to do a demo or send one.

I used to be an avid golfer before metal detecting took over. Golf club manufacturers would regularly have demo days for their new equipment at practice ranges on golf courses and stores with simulators.

All the coin rubbing in the video, just watching those coins devalue right in front of you eyes.

That coin rubbing is nothing compared to the rubbing they took while in the ground. Won't change the value one cent.

Also think it's funny how these Garrett Promotional threads always turn into Minelab promotions. Think he'll learn?

Back
Top Bottom