• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Finally got my permit.......

Diabolik

Elite Member
So I finally obtained a permit from the county to legally hunt in all of the county parks. I started this process back in March or April I believe. I could not locate the permit application online so after a couple of calls and emails, I finally obtained the application. The first time I sent it back on May 22nd to the listed email address, I never got a response. Since I already had the lady's name in the permit office I emailed it in again directly to her asking when I would receive a response. This was Monday June 15th which she responded that it would take 3 or 4 days to process. Low and behold, here it finally is on Friday. I am actually shocked I got it. It's funny because the permit doesn't cost anything and they really obtain nothing more than your name, email, phone and address. No idea why this simply couldn't be an automated process? I've been hunting my local parks and was planning to continue permit or no permit. At least now I have it if it ever comes into question. I just wish everything need not be so difficult. :roll:

How much did they charge for the permit?

There is no charge for it. I am sure I could have continued hunting without it because I purposely try to hunt in the woods or out of the way areas, but I would rather have it because if I ever am asked to produce it, I'm not gonna win that argument. :D

So I finally obtained a permit from the county to legally hunt in all of the county parks. I started this process back in March or April I believe. I could not locate the permit application online so after a couple of calls and emails, I finally obtained the application. The first time I sent it back on May 22nd to the listed email address, I never got a response. Since I already had the lady's name in the permit office I emailed it in again directly to her asking when I would receive a response. This was Monday June 15th which she responded that it would take 3 or 4 days to process. Low and behold, here it finally is on Friday. I am actually shocked I got it. It's funny because the permit doesn't cost anything and they really obtain nothing more than your name, email, phone and address. No idea why this simply couldn't be an automated process? I've been hunting my local parks and was planning to continue permit or no permit. At least now I have it if it ever comes into question. I just wish everything need not be so difficult. :roll:

Cool. Glad you finally got it. Hope no one asks you to display it.

I never show my driver's license to a cop, or my hunting or fishing license to a Game Warden or Conservation Officer unless they ask for it!

Not to be difficult with them, but they may need or want to interact with you for something unrelated to your license.

They'll let you know if the want to see it.

I applied for a permit to hunt the beaches at local state parks.

Cool. Glad you finally got it. Hope no one asks you to display it.

I never show my driver's license to a cop, or my hunting or fishing license to a Game Warden or Conservation Officer unless they ask for it!

Not to be difficult with them, but they may need or want to interact with you for something unrelated to your license.

They'll let you know if the want to see it.

I applied for a permit to hunt the beaches at local state parks.

Yeah, it's definitely a formality here. It states right on the permit that you are required to carry it with you at all times and it has the rules for detecting in their parks right on the letter. They are all common sense requirements and there really are no hard restrictions. I don't anticipate any police questioning me there, but I would rather have it if the need ever arises. My local park is a great place to hunt when I can't get into the woods and I don't want a run in with local authorities over a free permit to jeopardize that for me.

Yeah, it's definitely a formality here. It states right on the permit that you are required to carry it with you at all times and it has the rules for detecting in their parks right on the letter. They are all common sense requirements and there really are no hard restrictions. I don't anticipate any police questioning me there, but I would rather have it if the need ever arises. My local park is a great place to hunt when I can't get into the woods and I don't want a run in with local authorities over a free permit to jeopardize that for me.

This is just so classical. A "permit" . As if we are in a hobby that needs to have "permit" to begin with. And you have people in the city-hall who don't know what the heck you're talking about. And you have legions of md'rs who can NEVER recall being "carded" for such a "permit". Ie.: No "run-ins", blah blah that were "solved with a permit" .

Yet ... ."permits" seem so inviting and lovely. Eg.: Who can argue with "permits" ? Eh ? It conjurs up images of being able to detect nilly-willy. And you just flash that "permit" to any busy-body, and they leave you alone. Right ? :roll:

Thus, let's all just rush down to city-hall and suggest this notion of "permits". And ask if one is available, blah blah. And be sure to show up at city hall with shovels in your hand, lest they not understand the full implications of what you are asking. Right ? :roll:

This is just so classical. A "permit" . As if we are in a hobby that needs to have "permit" to begin with. And you have people in the city-hall who don't know what the heck you're talking about. And you have legions of md'rs who can NEVER recall being "carded" for such a "permit". Ie.: No "run-ins", blah blah that were "solved with a permit" .

Yet ... ."permits" seem so inviting and lovely. Eg.: Who can argue with "permits" ? Eh ? It conjurs up images of being able to detect nilly-willy. And you just flash that "permit" to any busy-body, and they leave you alone. Right ? :roll:

Thus, let's all just rush down to city-hall and suggest this notion of "permits". And ask if one is available, blah blah. And be sure to show up at city hall with shovels in your hand, lest they not understand the full implications of what you are asking. Right ? :roll:

When I applied the lady initially told me they were "very busy" doing other things and that basically they would process my request when they could. Funny thing is this was during the pandemic, you couldn't even rent a pavilion or any other facility in the park. They only do permits so I have no idea what they were possibly so busy with at that time? I would be surprised if any of the county cops that patrol the park are even aware that such a permit exists. I don't like it and I think it is ridiculous, but I also don't want my day ruined by some overzealous officer wanting to make an example out of me. I live in the county and the way I see it, our tax dollars are funding these parks so we have just as much right to use it as everyone else. Couple that with the fact that I have collected and disposed of trash every time I have been there. I don't know of any other park patrons that are "asked" to do that while visiting the park..... :roll:

Diabolik, do you see the irony of your post ? On the one hand, you acknowledge that .... odds are ... no one cares less and it's highly unlikely that any authority-figures are even in the know about the existence of such a thing :

.... I would be surprised if any of the county cops that patrol the park are even aware that such a permit exists. ....

Ok ? But in the next breath you say :

... I also don't want my day ruined by some overzealous officer wanting to make an example out of me. ...

See the irony ? And let me ask you this too : Can you cite ANY example of "overzealous cops" making an example out of md'rs, for not having a "permit" in their wallet ? I can't think of a single example. On the other hand, I can think of some examples in CA (of the whopping 3 [three] cities that ever dreamed up such a thing here) of persons who TRIED HARD to get "carded", yet ... no one ever paid them any mind. Despite them dancing circles around park workers.

It is MUCH better to have NO permit system. Ie.: to be silent on the subject. Lest it be nothing more than a "pressing issue" for the powers-that-be to consider annually. Otherwise, sure as heck , one year someone's gonna ask the other council members: "Gee, do we really want all these yahoos digging up the park ?" And they revoke the system entirely. Therefore, the LESS they think of us, the better. Not the "more" they think of us.

I get what you are saying Tom, I really do, but the point is permits in our county parks are required like it or not. I honestly don't think anyone in our local government cares one way or the other and I don't think a few people acquiring the required permit is going to make them stop and consider enacting legislation to outlaw MD'ing completely. What's more important are the actions of any individual MD'ing in said parks, permit or not. THAT is what is going to make them consider banning it all together. The permit is free, they email me my letter, and they go on with their day. I don't think the issue goes beyond that. I don't need to walk around with it pinned on my hat or chest and it's certainly not going to help my success rate. In the big picture it is just one more very small thing I no longer need to be concerned with when I am out enjoying my day.

Edit: and to be clear I am in no way worried about any cop or anyone else harassing me while detecting, that is not why I got the permit. I did not post this to make it seem like some great feat or achievement, but more to point out the hoops one needs to jump through to get a simple letter. ;)

ok. Sure, if there's truly a permit, then sure, by all means get it. Heck, even if we both agree that no one cares less and no one is eveer carded, yet .... sure .... still get it. Heck, why not ? Sure, I get it.

.... I don't think a few people acquiring the required permit is going to make them stop and consider enacting legislation to outlaw MD'ing completely... .

What I was referring to is a phenomenon that , yes, has occurred in places that ever dreamed up "permits". Yes it's rare (go figure, very few cities ever dreamed up "permits" in the first place) but the following has been documented as happening, in a few such cities:

A) A city dreams up "permits" and the local md'rs gleefully get them (heck, why not ?)

B) Therefore there is now a record keeping, on-the-books, to administer such a program. Eg.: Someone has to issue them, keep the records of who got them, for instance. And someone has to dream up the printing of them (card for the wallet or whatever). Someone has to take the $10 (or whatever) and keep track of that. So in other words, it makes for some bureaucracy. Albeit minimal, yet .... still "something on their plate to administer".

C) Then flash forward a few years or a decade later, when the new desk-jockies are looking over the various tasks, admin. duties, permits, etc... Looks down at this "metal detecting permit". And let's be honest, what does "metal detecting " conjur up in the image ? Holes of course. Eg.: Geeks with shovels.

So there's been documented cases of various cities, that USED to have "permits", that one magical year, just revoke them entirely. As if they're saying to themselves "Gee, do we really want these yahoos out digging up the parks ?".

Therefore "permits", even though they seem romantic, can backfire, and just be always-present to put us "front and center" . Therefore it's better for there to simply be NO permit. And not expressly allowed or disallowed. Ie.: silent on the subject. The less they think of us, the better.

I applied for a permit at 2 State Park beaches.

Wouldn't have even considered needing one, but it was clearly posted on the rules at the visitor centers.

Don't know why they require permits to participate in a hobby no more damaging to grass than pounding a tent stake, playing football or tossing a frisbee though.

Glad to hear it D. I have hunted county parks and was not aware a permit was needed. I was never questioned by anyone. I know you need a permit for state parks. Good luck, Mark

Don't know why they require permits to participate in a hobby no more damaging to grass than pounding a tent stake, playing football or tossing a frisbee though.

I know why. It's because those people in the past, who went to pound tent stakes into the ground, and tossing dangerous projectiles (that could poke someone's eye out) didn't do the following : They didn't show up at the state park beaches offices asking : "Hello, can I please damage the grass with my tent pegs, and throw dangerous projectiles around ?"

If they had done so, then they too could have received a "no" answer. And then they too could have started forums lamenting their lack of freedoms. Then they too could have had "permit" systems implemented to allow them to do their activities.

Thus shame on them for not asking. Right ? Why is it only md'rs feel they need to grovel, and not others, eh ?

.... I was never questioned by anyone. ...

And probably still never questioned since then, eh ? :wow: There is a city near me, that dreamed up "permits" for md'ing decades ago . Yet the dirty little secret is : No one of the md'rs in that city can EVER recall being "carded". Ie.: no one actually cares. So you almost have to ask yourself: "Why bother" ? Oh well :roll:

I applied for a permit at 2 State Park beaches.

Wouldn't have even considered needing one, but it was clearly posted on the rules at the visitor centers.

Does the verbiage on your permits state that you will agree to collect any trash encountered while detecting? Ours does. I don’t care and I do pick up what I can and usually empty my trash bag at least once during each visit. I wonder how many other visitors are asked to do the same? Our local park has a very active disc golf course and I always see bottles discarded along their routes. Guessing they didn’t get the memo?

...Guessing they didn’t get the memo?

Here's the difference : Those disc golf course people did not go asking "Hello, can I discard my bottles by littering on the ground please ?". Unlike us md'rs who somehow feel we can not proceed, unless given a princely-say-so permission. If they had asked if they could litter, then they too would get told "no". And then they too could start forum posts lamenting their lack of freedoms. Shame on them for not asking enough questions and permissions, eh ?

Does the verbiage on your permits state that you will agree to collect any trash encountered while detecting? Ours does. I don’t care and I do pick up what I can and usually empty my trash bag at least once during each visit. I wonder how many other visitors are asked to do the same? Our local park has a very active disc golf course and I always see bottles discarded along their routes. Guessing they didn’t get the memo?

The application does say to remove any trash you dig.

Can't detect in landscaped areas, flower beds.

Specifies max dimensions of digging tool.

Return all finds over to the owner or park personnel worth over $10.00

That is the clause that will limit my detecting at the parks.

No problems returning items if the owner can prove it is in fact theirs.

Turning them into park personnel doesn't tell me if they keep them, or give them to you after a period of time.

I wonder how may people turn in rings and other jewelry that the park personnel keep for themselves?

I'd be happy digging some indian heads and may a few silver coins.

The application does say to remove any trash you dig.

Can't detect in landscaped areas, flower beds.

Specifies max dimensions of digging tool.

Return all finds over to the owner or park personnel worth over $10.00

That is the clause that will limit my detecting at the parks.

No problems returning items if the owner can prove it is in fact theirs.

Turning them into park personnel doesn't tell me if they keep them, or give them to you after a period of time.

I wonder how may people turn in rings and other jewelry that the park personnel keep for themselves?

I'd be happy digging some indian heads and may a few silver coins.

haha, I don't consider a $10 gold piece to be worth over $10, do you ? And a 1909 s VDB penny is worth .01c, right ?

And heck, how do you value a gold ring ? It's intrinsic melt value ? The value when new ? And is anyone really going out there and measuring the length of your digger tool to make sure it doesn't exceed xx inches long ? This is all just silly talk. And another reason why the LAST thing we want is "permits". They are invariably riddled with silly stuff like this.

Better that it is just silent on the subject. Neither expressly allowed nor disallowed. If it's silent on the subject, then presto; It's not forbidden.

I know why. It's because those people in the past, who went to pound tent stakes into the ground, and tossing dangerous projectiles (that could poke someone's eye out) didn't do the following : They didn't show up at the state park beaches offices asking : "Hello, can I please damage the grass with my tent pegs, and throw dangerous projectiles around ?"

If they had done so, then they too could have received a "no" answer. And then they too could have started forums lamenting their lack of freedoms. Then they too could have had "permit" systems implemented to allow them to do their activities.

Thus shame on them for not asking. Right ? Why is it only md'rs feel they need to grovel, and not others, eh ?

Well, I can't change the past.

What I do have control over though, is whether to ask permission on public property and state parks.

If there are no posted rules prohibiting it, I won't ask. You're correct, properly dug targets do as much or less damage than tent stakes.

Common sense would dictate to keep a low profile and don't attract unwanted attention if possible.

As far as permit requirements, obviously one has a choice to detect with a permit, without a permit or not at all.

Back
Top Bottom