• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Resource To Help Find Damp Ground

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I’ve pretty much been sidelined from detecting for the last couple weeks by a spell of extremely dry and hot weather, and judging by the forecast, things might not change much in the near future. Where the ground hasn’t been rock hard, I still couldn’t risk digging because the ground isn’t moist enough to keep the grass from dying when I replace the plug.

Anyway, I thought I would share a resource I’ve often used to help find diggable dirt in the dry months. Using this website, sometimes I can find areas within driving distance that have had enough rain from pop up storms to dig, even though my area has been dry:

Iweathernet.com Rainfall Accumulation Interactive Map

Once you click on the link above, you might need to scroll down past one or two ads before you see the map, depending on the device/screen size you’re using. It’s pretty easy use, and you can zoom right in to street level. The information can be filtered to encompass various time frames, from the previous hour up to the prior 72 hours, by clicking the labeled drop-down boxes on the map. The colored contours give you a pretty good idea of how much rain fell in an area, and you can also click a location and get a precise number. You can also adjust the opacity to help read the map detail underneath the precipitation contours. The screenshots below show two examples set to the previous 24 hours, one zoomed out a bit for a regional view, the other zoomed in to a street view.

I hope you find it as useful as I do! :yes:

Attachments

• 6F8F2FFC-1B4D-495F-A735-BBA2BD2311CE.jpg
    6F8F2FFC-1B4D-495F-A735-BBA2BD2311CE.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 412
  • 13F280CD-FF8D-4C9B-925D-3FB2ADD19565.jpg
    13F280CD-FF8D-4C9B-925D-3FB2ADD19565.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 405
Even though it's been 90+ degrees and sunny for the past few days, we had about 5 straight days of thunderstorms last week. When I went out yesterday morning I thought of a place that only gets sun in the mornings and is shaded the rest of the day. Nice and soft!

Back
Top Bottom