• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"totally hunted out" yard

bobac

Elite Member
Yeah right.......:cool3: I love hearing that line then getting on the yard......
So I get the permission at this 1890 house. The lawn was huge so I had a good feeling something had to be left for me.
I had a GoPro with me but it said the card was full......:mad: oh well.....nothing crazy here anyway.
I got the merc , then a few minutes later I got a 4 inch 12-46 and was shocked to see a large cent!!!
A little bit later a 12-45 at 6 inches ends up being another largie.
I also managed a couple wheats and a couple V nickels, which had dates on them , but they're pretty rough as most old dug nickels are.....

Does anyone know what the CC cap is ??:?:

Anyway.....up to a whopping 32 silvers this year......

I'm waiting for a YES at a 200 year old property......I got a NO at a 1790 yard last week, and one other old one.....I've been working 6 day weeks again , so not sure how much time I'm gonna have to get a few digging trips in this year......but I'm gonna try my darndest.....
I can feel it, my Bust coin is waiting for me somewhere......

ADDED : My buddy asked me what year the beat up largie is , so I had to break out the second set of eyes and check it out. It looks to me like its 1821.:roll:..... I added a pic at the end.........What do y'all think?? From what I gather there were only 389,000 produced. :shock: :wow:
That's by far the lowest mintage of the Matron heads anyway. Too bad its so beat.....oh well

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 723
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 719
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 698
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 706
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 661
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 654
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 654
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 666
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 711
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 654
  • 20200807_230254.jpg
    20200807_230254.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 650
  • 20200807_174425.jpg
    20200807_174425.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 665
  • 20200809_204809.jpg
    20200809_204809.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Awesome finds man, you never know what the next signal might be at a spot like that. I believe your CC cap is a Colgate and company cap. Here's a little info on the company:

William Colgate

"In 1806 William Colgate, an English immigrant, founded a starch, soap and candle enterprise on Dutch Street in New York City. Getting the jump on others, Colgate obtained a giant kettle and proceeded to render (purify) his fat (for soap and candle making) himself. After buying out his early partner, Frances Smith, in 1813, the business became "William Colgate and Company".
In 1817 Colgate's first advertising appeared, for "Soap, Mould and Dipt Candles".
Sometime after 1817, Colgate's brother-in-law, John Gilbert, built a starch factory in what is now Jersey City, New Jersey. In 1847 all of Colgate's factory operations were moved to the New Jersey site.
William Colgate died in 1857 and the business was renamed —Colgate and Company.
Colgate and Company began to venture into perfumery in 1866. 1872 saw the introduction of their landmark soap, "Cashmere Bouquet", a milled, perfumed toilet soap. ("Octagon" was their longtime best seller laundry soap and it was immortalized by a giant, octagon-shaped clock, first over the company's New York offices; later, in an updated version, over their Jersey City factory.)

Caprice Toilet Water By Colgate
In 1873 Colgate introduced their first toothpaste — an aromatic dental cream sold in jars.
In 1896 Colgate introduced its first tube toothpaste, a model very similar to the product it sells today.
Although nobody would have guessed it in 1896, the introduction of tube toothpaste no doubt spelled the beginning of the end of Colgate and Company as perfumers. By the 1920's, Colgate was strongly focused on it's highly profitable dental products.
Yet looking back a few years we find that in 1906 — Colgate's centennial year — the Colgate product line included 625 varieties of perfume, in addition to their dental products and perfumed soap!
Today Colgate's years as a perfume marketer are largely forgotten." Photos & text from!Perfume Projects.

Looking forward to the next post, good luck out there!

Attachments

• il_570xN.1840466544_is5j.jpg
    il_570xN.1840466544_is5j.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 637
Great finds! I’ve been working up the nerve to try door knocking, I always chicken out last minute. But anyway congrats!

What a yard there Bobster! And Jeff’s ID on the Colgate thing is damn fine sleuthing! I have found more bullsh*t toothpaste tubes and sav tubes and nonsense in old yards....and in ONE old yard...a Merc, V nickel and an LC! Go figure!:lol: A weird trio that apparently gets around...at least in your case and mine.
Great to see the CTX do what it does best...FIND STUFF!!:yes:

Nice recoveries from a hunted yard. I used to enjoy "hunted out" locations until I moved to Texas. Now I believe someone when they claim it's hunted out.

Anyways, that is a real nice '18 merc. And the largies Indicate there was probably a homestead or kther activity there before the current dwelling was built.

Good luck on the capped bust!

colgate....

Awesome finds man, you never know what the next signal might be at a spot like that. I believe your CC cap is a Colgate and company cap. Here's a little info on the company:

William Colgate

"In 1806 William Colgate, an English immigrant, founded a starch, soap and candle enterprise on Dutch Street in New York City. Getting the jump on others, Colgate obtained a giant kettle and proceeded to render (purify) his fat (for soap and candle making) himself. After buying out his early partner, Frances Smith, in 1813, the business became "William Colgate and Company".
In 1817 Colgate's first advertising appeared, for "Soap, Mould and Dipt Candles".
Sometime after 1817, Colgate's brother-in-law, John Gilbert, built a starch factory in what is now Jersey City, New Jersey. In 1847 all of Colgate's factory operations were moved to the New Jersey site.
William Colgate died in 1857 and the business was renamed —Colgate and Company.
Colgate and Company began to venture into perfumery in 1866. 1872 saw the introduction of their landmark soap, "Cashmere Bouquet", a milled, perfumed toilet soap. ("Octagon" was their longtime best seller laundry soap and it was immortalized by a giant, octagon-shaped clock, first over the company's New York offices; later, in an updated version, over their Jersey City factory.)

Caprice Toilet Water By Colgate
In 1873 Colgate introduced their first toothpaste — an aromatic dental cream sold in jars.
In 1896 Colgate introduced its first tube toothpaste, a model very similar to the product it sells today.
Although nobody would have guessed it in 1896, the introduction of tube toothpaste no doubt spelled the beginning of the end of Colgate and Company as perfumers. By the 1920's, Colgate was strongly focused on it's highly profitable dental products.
Yet looking back a few years we find that in 1906 — Colgate's centennial year — the Colgate product line included 625 varieties of perfume, in addition to their dental products and perfumed soap!
Today Colgate's years as a perfume marketer are largely forgotten." Photos & text from!Perfume Projects.

Looking forward to the next post, good luck out there!

WOW !!! Nice work with the research and the quick ID . That's an amazing writeup on the Colgate history. Thanks much.

Back
Top Bottom