• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My favorite find yet

okiediggin

So...this is a long post, but I think its perty awesome. A few weeks ago, I was hunting in a local park here in town. I dug on a signal and found this sterling bracelet 8-10" deep. It had a name and an address on it, so I started researching on the internet. I found a woman of the same name with ties to Oklahoma, who lives in Louisiana. The woman in question was the granddaughter of a local oil tycoon from the early 1900's. Her grandfather's house in town is on the National Registry of Historic Places. She met and married a man who would become George Bush Sr's ambassador to Finland. He organized a summit between Bush and Gorbachev in Helsinki, Finland. He was a Tulane law graduate, and they were supporters/donors to the school. The Tulane law school building is named after him. She is 92yrs old and still sits on the board of an energy co in Louisiana. I snooped some more and found her daughter, who I messaged on Facebook and asked if her mother lived in my town as a child. She did! It turned out that the woman I had read about was the original owner of the bracelet. The daughter gave me her mother's office address and I sent the bracelet to its rightful owner. Today I received this sweet letter and photo from Virginia Eason Weinmann. I've found some perty neat stuff, but that has got to be one of the best finds I've ever made!
e74928d68033192f6d541dad63de53cc.jpg
59fcbcc1e64e80eaa7324f11582fbde4.jpg
6a007485b5277b60a38db100235e1cec.jpg
06a3585dd4339255c840a13ba89a4f9d.jpg
5f7a6aac45126c38f105126cb90ce6e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Well, that’s just plain awesome! Great find, and even better job doing the extra research and tracking down the owner of the bracelet, and getting it back to her. Thanks for sharing this cool story with us!

That is a wonderful story to a very cool find. This should DEFINITELY be a FEATURED thread!!!

In many ways, this is why we do this hobby.....the historical aspect of our finds and with your sleuthing you found the rightful owner brings it all full circle. CONGRATULATIONS.

Fantastic job!

... In many ways, this is why we do this hobby........

^^ this ^^

You can't ask for a better "Sherlock Holmes md'r repatriation" story than this. And believe it or not, it's THESE type stories and finds that make for more fun than super rare coins , and even gold coins.

Whenever my wife and I have a party, and I pull a few guests aside to show them my display cabinets. Then it goes like this : I'm busy trying to point out reales and gold coins, but my wife butts in and regales the guests with the stories of repatriated family heirlooms ! And the coins do not elicit the "oohs and aahs". Only the personal human-relations stories elicit the ooohs and aahhs. As if .... those are more important, haha. :roll: :laughing:

Good job !

Wow... an outstanding find and even better "return" story and history, excellent job and you sure made that woman's year!

Thanks y'all! I sure thought it was cool! She has lived an amazing life, for sure. The more I read about her, her husband, and her family, the more amazed I felt about holding a piece of her childhood and youth in my hands. As soon as I saw a name, there was no question I was gonna do my best to return it. Her daughter and I have messaged a few times, and she told me that since she got the bracelet back, her mother has new stories that she had never heard before. Very memorable find for sure!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Awesome story, and what a nice letter. She is obviously a very classy lady. We need more people like you and her, we'd be a better country if people started being grateful for the goodness around them. And the effort you made to return the bracelet is a testament to you. Good job.

Unreal story here and alot of history. The fascinating part is in the letter. That it was common back then for girls to wear ankle bracelets. I thought during this era girls were a little more conservative. But idk. Never heard of this. And this bracelet is not the type 1 would wear on an ankle. Looking at the clasp , I don't see how that would stay in place at all. Gives us hope on old returns like that.

Awesome story!

Hey Okie,
What a cool experience!
I have not been detecting that long (compared to some of the veterans on this board) but I have experienced the thrill of a couple of nice returns also.
The excitement of the detective work, the success of finding the owner, the return itself....just gives one a cool feeling! And you got a bonus of a beautiful letter from a beautiful woman. Not only that, you, in a sense, brought a daughter and mom even closer together.
It just doesn’t get better than that!
Hats off to you for such a commendable job and a beautifully written post!
Keep up the good work and happy continued hunting!

Back
Top Bottom