Equinox 600 help. I can’t figure this thing out.

Lots of good advice posted. I’m new with the 800. My suggestion is stick it out hunting iron infested sites..it’s good training..I like 50 tones, multi frequency, I
Want to hear it all. But whatever you’re using, it’s extremely important IMO to move in a slow circle around the target when iron is present. Close your eyes and listen occasionally..find the signals that hold 360 degrees..bouncy is expected with iron..but definitely..a full circle, not an X...6” sniper coil is like a laser....if you don’t have one, get one...that’s my newbie to the Nox suggestion..

Start with Park 1 and run Fe at1 and recovery speed at 3. Maybe go to a beach and dig everything there to learn a little about the machine, it's easier to dig a 100 holes in the sand.

By the way, the older and very good X-Terra 30 to 705 detector series has virtually the same 50 segment target ID and similar tone system so the Equinox is not a departure from anything by Minelab.

It is certainly a departure from the E-Trac, which at least gives you a pretty good idea as to whether the target is ferrous or not. I see nothing like that on the Nox, where, at least on my machine, ferrous targets sound pretty sweet.

I've seen some videos where some guys show how to determine whether or not a target is ferrous with the Nox, by swinging it for 15 minutes at every angle, then changing the frequency, then doing the same again. Just faster to dig, really, but I'm getting old and don't have the energy to dig every target.

I'm disappointed with the Nox, specifically with ferrous discrimination. I hope it clicks for me, and for you, but I am not optimistic. It simply provides less information to the user than the E-Trac does. Maybe its other reported benefits, such as separation, will outweigh this negative. We'll see.

I don't dig much iron with the Nox 800. If I dig iron it's because I was chasing a really iffy signal. I have buddies who both run Etracs a majority of the time. When it gets down to iffy signals they don't dig any less iron than me. Honestly I think they dig more. One ask me occasionally to swing over the iffys he thinks has potential. I have yet to be wrong calling iron or junk when it wasn't. The Etrac and Ctx are great at working clean ground and give you more info about widely separated individual targets, but in sites with lots of iron or non ferrous junk closely packed together they just miss stuff the Nox sees.

It is certainly a departure from the E-Trac, which at least gives you a pretty good idea as to whether the target is ferrous or not. I see nothing like that on the Nox, where, at least on my machine, ferrous targets sound pretty sweet.

I've seen some videos where some guys show how to determine whether or not a target is ferrous with the Nox, by swinging it for 15 minutes at every angle, then changing the frequency, then doing the same again. Just faster to dig, really, but I'm getting old and don't have the energy to dig every target.

I'm disappointed with the Nox, specifically with ferrous discrimination. I hope it clicks for me, and for you, but I am not optimistic. It simply provides less information to the user than the E-Trac does. Maybe its other reported benefits, such as separation, will outweigh this negative. We'll see.

"I'm disappointed with the Nox, specifically with ferrous discrimination."

That is the Achille's Heel with the Nox. I feel the same way.

Back
Top Bottom