CTX 3030 - When/do you use recovery deep & fast

sandgroper

Elite Member
I'm slowly (very slowly) learning the CTX, and have read in the manual that there is an option for recovery fast and recovery deep. So my question for any CTX users, do you use these modes, and if so, when do you (or when should you) use these? And also, do you notice a big difference on the detector's performance when you use them?

From my understanding....Deep is for places that have fewer targets but they may be deep,it enhances the signal some but it's also a bit slower to recover.
Fast turns OFF some filtering to allow for faster recovery from target to target but ID may not be as accurate. Fast also shortens the audio response some....
From MY understanding. I never use Fast,almost always use Deep.

Agree. But some areas with high trash the fast ON can be helpful. the detector recovers more quickly from target to target. Usually run both ON at most of my sites.
HH!

From my understanding....Deep is for places that have fewer targets but they may be deep,it enhances the signal some but it's also a bit slower to recover.
Fast turns OFF some filtering to allow for faster recovery from target to target but ID may not be as accurate. Fast also shortens the audio response some....
From MY understanding. I never use Fast,almost always use Deep.

Agree. But some areas with high trash the fast ON can be helpful. the detector recovers more quickly from target to target. Usually run both ON at most of my sites.
HH!

Thanks for the advice guys!

I mainly hunt relics etc in older fields. I tend to be a somewhat slow swinger anyway. Just never really hunt "high trash" areas. That being said, for me, deep on, fast off.

I used to run with Fast ON when hunting in trashy spots but the recovery speed didn't really seem any faster to me. It just tends to clip the audio and make the TID more jumpy so now I leave it off. I usually have Deep turned ON but to be honest I can't tell a difference one way or the other.

I used to run with Fast ON when hunting in trashy spots but the recovery speed didn't really seem any faster to me. It just tends to clip the audio and make the TID more jumpy so now I leave it off. I usually have Deep turned ON but to be honest I can't tell a difference one way or the other.

Well I have used fast for 5 years (jumpy ids ) Clipped audio I don't see it my dimes come in at 12.43 Indians 12.35 quarters 12.45 to 12.46 and nickels at 12.13 now out of all these coins I have dug in the past 5 years I have only found 2 Indians at 12.33 and 12.34 and these were rotten and a few nickels at 12.09 to 12.12 and they were rotten that's why the tid is lower .

Clipped audio don't see a difference in either fast or deep in clean ground .Now they say to use deep where less trash is and use fast where more trash is if fast gets clipped with it's faster recovery time what the heck is deep going to sound like in the same environment now in clean ground more than likely neither well get clipped.

Some well say I get a better tone signal with deep I don't see this .

If you want the best of two worlds run fast at gain of 30 and go to long for audio way more imf instead of deep without slowing recover time .sube

Well I have used fast for 5 years (jumpy ids ) Clipped audio I don't see it my dimes come in at 12.43 Indians 12.35 quarters 12.45 to 12.46 and nickels at 12.13 now out of all these coins I have dug in the past 5 years I have only found 2 Indians at 12.33 and 12.34 and these were rotten and a few nickels at 12.09 to 12.12 and they were rotten that's why the tid is lower .

I didn't mean the ID wasn't accurate. It will hit the correct ID more often than not, but to me it just doesn't seem as stable - meaning the ID varies slightly with each swing. This could be due to less filtering, or it actually having a faster recovery and registering ID off of nearby targets as I swing through. It still happens even with the swing narrowed to a wiggle though so I'm not sure. I don't think its all in my head though, as Minelab even mentions it in the instruction manual.

Last edited:
IDK? I use that garrett 250 and run all metal until I get a target then turn it to something else. I find it runs deeper and hits targets like old funky quarters. but as for gold and silver it will hit just not as deep.. varies on setting and soil. i use the garrett infinium ls. that is a beast of a tool. I tell you a bobby pin 19 inches deep....... :laughing:

In my opinion, it all depends on the ground conditions. Hard to find two places that are the same.

I usually show up and start swinging and see what I find. If something seems off, tweak a setting or two until signals start popping.

You hear lots of stories of guys finding the best things on the walk back to the car... probably because it takes that long to get familiar with the place and tune the detector based on a little time there.

Say you found a hot spot and save your settings for the next trip back... chances are the ground will be different next time. Maybe drier dirt or wet if it rained.

First half hour or so is spent analyzing the ground in my history of detecting.

Hope this helps.

In my opinion, it all depends on the ground conditions. Hard to find two places that are the same.

I usually show up and start swinging and see what I find. If something seems off, tweak a setting or two until signals start popping.

You hear lots of stories of guys finding the best things on the walk back to the car... probably because it takes that long to get familiar with the place and tune the detector based on a little time there.

Say you found a hot spot and save your settings for the next trip back... chances are the ground will be different next time. Maybe drier dirt or wet if it rained.

First half hour or so is spent analyzing the ground in my history of detecting.

Hope this helps.

This man has a plan areas I hunt frequently I have a dime buried at 8 inches at all my sites and adjust my detector on the response I receive from it speeds up the adjustment process . some days it bangs loud and clear other days hard to hear ground emi change daily .

Rattelhead I have no doubt what you see is true but I have never received a signal in fast that would make me miss a target because of unstable #s . Just saying unstable tid as long as there in the coin range are going to get dug .

People ask this ? all the time and rely on what others say which is wrong all you have to do is sweep a 8 inch target in your ground .Using deep, fast ,deep and fast , or neither one checked and see which one gives the best signal .But if no difference I would be running fast .

Ground has more to do with it than you think every buddy takes it for granted that auto ground balance will adjust to the perfect balance every time as we move along however the ground can change from mild to harsh very quickly and auto is not going to keep up and you will loose depth . Now auto sensitivity changes to compensate for more ground noise it go's lower so your loosing depth however in manual you stay at the level you choose just got to slow down . That's why they have manual ground balance which give you perfect balance for the spot you balanced on .As you move along in manual ground balance the ground changes again you can hear the threshold change time to ground balance again but where there's targets every where go back to that clear spot you balance before won't work where your at now.

So that's why people run auto but when you hit that harsher ground you can't hear it in auto (threshold change ) the only thing you hear is more ground noise, ground balance disc out ground noise from real target's separating the two.

So if your in auto slow down the machine has to disc out more ground noise the harsher the ground is so look at it this way the more ground noise the slower the sweep give ground balance a chance to disc out the ground noise or suffer loss of depth without knowing it .sube

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom