• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

E-trac vs deus depth

As you and Terry have stated and most agree. I've been sitting on this video for 4 months because I know it will cause drama if not take for what it is. I did a freshly buried nickel battle with F75 LTD, Deus, Omega, and Etrac and it's totally not equal considering the coils sizes but that's not the point. It does give you and idea of how well machines ID deeper coins though...enjoy!

Good video!

As you and Terry have stated and most agree. I've been sitting on this video for 4 months because I know it will cause drama if not take for what it is. I did a freshly buried nickel battle with F75 LTD, Deus, Omega, and Etrac and it's totally not equal considering the coils sizes but that's not the point. It does give you and idea of how well machines ID deeper coins though...enjoy!

Good video. Looked like the Etrac was banging that 13 on the CO pretty much every time. Just goes to show why its earned such a great rep as a deep coin hunter.

I agree, vid is not as accurate on Deus, BUT it is a tone machine. I use vid, BUT tone is the deciding factor in deep digs for me with Deus. My deepest coins didn't even get a vid number, but tone told me to dig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice video.

Here's an experiment for someone.
Would involve air testing only.
Be sure to use fbs/fbs2 detector in the mix.
Take some coins.
Airtest at say 6" with various detectors document readings.

Then grind the coin thinner just a little, retest by sweeping with all detectors.
Keep grinding down and testing.

What would a person notice?

The fbs detector, yes it will start reading lower ID wise (conductive number), and the other more typical vlfs will too.

But the fbs/ fbs 2 detector(s) will read closer value wise to the original condition coin(s).

If we sweep a nickel with fbs detector say at 5" deep. And it reads a conducive numbe of 12.
This is not the what ideally a nickel reads is it, more like 13.
But if we sweep this same nickel that does infact read 12 conductive, how far off vdi wise will the nickel read using the more typical .(non fbs) detectors?
More than one point likely,right?

So even if the fbs/fbs 2 detectors get it wrong (not ideal) TID wise, they can put the odds in a users favor moreso vs what info more typical Vlf detectors provide.

Remember TID scale of fbs/fbs2 vs Vdi of more typical vlf detectors,,,scale is compressed. So if a person applies this being compressed here, one might think the more spread out Vdi range of more typical vlfs would be more accurate in reporting say a nickel vs junk targets.
Just food for thought here.

Great video detecting MO.

I do agree it shows why the E-Trac has the rep it does for finding those deep coppers and silver, but the Deus has a sweet tone.

I agree, vid is not as accurate on Deus, BUT it is a tone machine. I use vid, BUT tone is the deciding factor in deep digs for me with Deus. My deepest coins didn't even get a vid number, but tone told me to dig.

I agree 100%. My E Trac and CTX are great at IDing deep targets BUT as far as raw depth the Deus wins out for me. As you stated JWP it is a tone machine and if you have your tone bins set correctly then that high tone that is repeatable but with no targetID number, chances are you have a deep coin or other non ferrous target.

Relying on numbers is like driving a car and watching the lines to stay in your lane.

I would say tone rules the roost whether to dig or not.

Both are good machines, but for countless reasons, I chose Deus.

I think they each have their place. Tone is king in my book too, but sometimes it's nice to have good tones AND a rock solid ID for when you want to cherry pick targets out of spots that have lots of non-ferrous junk.

I'm a long time stare-at-the-screen guy, having had a DFX for years and a V3i for years and they are good machines, Also had an Explorer SE, hated it but that's just me. Also now have a Deus and I have to say that after you've plodded around for a couple hours in the heat and getting a little tired and inattentive, the quickness and sharp tones of the Deus on target will get your attention much more effectively than a screen and mild tones. It's a seemingly small subtle thing, and maybe it's just me, but as the day wears on I am much more likely to pick targets out of trash with the Deus than any other machine I've had.
Just my 1.5 cents worth.

You're right. A Deepseeker is made by Garrett. LOL.

OK just kidding.

Why would you not consider the E-Trac a deep seeker? I've never gone deeper with any detector consistently on coins than with the E-Trac/CTX.
I can't vouch for the CTX, but I've owned and used different Minelabs since 2010, I'm not impressed by the two etracs i've used/tested. I get better depth out of the older units such as the Explorers, and I've tested them side by side, Etrac vs Explorer, using identical coils.

I just made my first-ever test garden and have tuned and tested both my machines extensively. I have both coins and trash buried. (Learned a lot about tuning by the way). Anyway I have both machines tuned for the best results I can get and the result is an almost perfect match for depth, with the benefit of doubt favoring the Deus (but only by an estimated 1/2 to 1 inch). On the deepest targets (10"+) the Deus gives a tone I would dig but no ID while the CTX gives a questionable tone response if any and just a blob on the screen with no circle but the blob is properly located as far as ID. If I use the 17" coil on the CTX I get ID on the 10" target every time. The 11" LF and 9" round HF Deus coils are about equal.

It will be interesting to compare results next spring after the test holes have had time to settle in a bit.

I just made my first-ever test garden and have tuned and tested both my machines extensively. I have both coins and trash buried. (Learned a lot about tuning by the way). Anyway I have both machines tuned for the best results I can get and the result is an almost perfect match for depth, with the benefit of doubt favoring the Deus (but only by an estimated 1/2 to 1 inch). On the deepest targets (10"+) the Deus gives a tone I would dig but no ID while the CTX gives a questionable tone response if any and just a blob on the screen with no circle but the blob is properly located as far as ID. If I use the 17" coil on the CTX I get ID on the 10" target every time. The 11" LF and 9" round HF Deus coils are about equal.

It will be interesting to compare results next spring after the test holes have had time to settle in a bit.

Thanks for sharing.
I think I'm going to get the round HF coil.

One thing unique about The Etrac /CTX, Both Detectors Run Very stable

when the Deep coin shows up on the Target ID screen

both detectors will ID the Deep coin very accurately with very stable Id numbers.

The other deep single frequency Detectors from the other manufactures

After the 6-7 inch mark, the repeatable signal is there, but the Target ID is so bouncy, I have no clue if I have a deep coin or deep trash.:?:

I own both. When I know the area is fairly clean I take the Etrac. If it’s nail city I take the deus.

The Etrac fro some reason hits coins deep and true. Target I’d and depth help a lot.

On the other hand if I take the Etrac to an old home site? I’m probably going to head back to the truck. Even in TTF, iron shuts it down to me.’

I have a Etrac and deus.I don't even use the remote anymore just deus lite,it's all sound ..And I do very well with it.Sure I dig some things that aren't coins,but I also do that with the Etrac.

Back
Top Bottom