Are Y'all gonna let little ole me have all this Black Hills silver and gold?

wutchy

The Black Hills has gold and silver all in them thar hills. They have streams to pan, battle sites to detect, and mineers stashes and caches all over the Black Hills, but there are no other metal detectors here but me.

The Black Hills is a wide open metal detectors dream. I'm going to hunt Mystic, Rockerville, Rochford, and Silver City this spring.

In the summer, I'd like to scout out Hill City, Custer, and Keystone.

People used to hide their stash in the Black Hills for almost 100 years. There has to be caches galore. Lots of buried loot from robberies, and missing and buried payrolls.

I'm sort of depressed that I don't know any other detectors who want to join in on the fun.

I've been study google earth maps of the hills and applying lost treasure methodology to find a good hunting site.

I plan to pretend I'm a prospector, and find a creek or stream, and walk up and down stream until I can identify good campsites and homestead sites.
Then I'm going to stand there and look for places to hide my stash, and check them out to see if I think like the old timers did.

I know I want to be near water, and find flat spots to camp. Lots of old mining ghost towns there too.

Wanted to get out that way 9 years ago when I lived in Nebraska but never did. Didn't have time due to my job at the time. If I was still out that way I'd go. :D

I would love to hunt the black hills.. I live in nebraska so I'm not to far away so maybe some day and I'm very new to Metal detecting. I have alway wanted to try and find gold. even finding some of them tiny little flecks would be a good time.

Sounds like heaven!!!

Sounds like you're going to have some interesting stories to tell.

Welcome to the forum from the Great Lakes State!

Looking forward to your posts.

I don't know how those gold panners do it, they pan all day and lift the gold out of the pan with a snifter and eyedropper bottle.

I'm looking for for loot, I don't even want to find coins. I want to find all that stash that has been sitting there for 100 years, undisturbed, under a rock, just waiting for me to come get it.

There are even lost mines out here, due to cave in or explosion shut.

I've been researching lot, and I got a good feeling about the lost George Custer payroll.

Let me know

I would love to join you for a week out there, PM me.
Perhaps a trip to Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse too?
I think if you were to spend a little time out there, and post a few pictures, you might get some visitors.

There's a few of us around. The Black Hills is awesome, and lots of fun. Haven't been there to detect yet, still working on it. :D

We did ask around as far as panning goes, and couldn't come up with any viable information. I think there's a gold prospecting group in Rapid City. Are you a member?

You're lucky to live so close. We live in Eastern SD, a 4/5 hr trip for us.

Be sure to join the forum South Dakota group located here: South Dakota MD'ers

The Black Hills has gold and silver all in them thar hills. They have streams to pan, battle sites to detect, and mineers stashes and caches all over the Black Hills, but there are no other metal detectors here but me.

The Black Hills is a wide open metal detectors dream. I'm going to hunt Mystic, Rockerville, Rochford, and Silver City this spring.

In the summer, I'd like to scout out Hill City, Custer, and Keystone.

People used to hide their stash in the Black Hills for almost 100 years. There has to be caches galore. Lots of buried loot from robberies, and missing and buried payrolls.

I'm sort of depressed that I don't know any other detectors who want to join in on the fun.

I've been study google earth maps of the hills and applying lost treasure methodology to find a good hunting site.

I plan to pretend I'm a prospector, and find a creek or stream, and walk up and down stream until I can identify good campsites and homestead sites.
Then I'm going to stand there and look for places to hide my stash, and check them out to see if I think like the old timers did.

I know I want to be near water, and find flat spots to camp. Lots of old mining ghost towns there too.

That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man what i would not give to live that way! Im going to keep this area in mind.

Just make sure your not swinging a detector around on someones claim. Thats a good way to get shot. Unfortunatly, most any where they have found gold in the past, is still claimed by someone else today.

Any luck in the last 4 years, Wutchy?

Hey Wutchy...I just went through the process of joining this forum just to ask YOU if anyone has gone out with you yet. I'm in Rapid and want to go. I just need a mentor. Reply and let's plan some outings!

BHPlugger

I used to live between Keystone and Rockerville...I trapped all the drainages in the entire area of the BH...panned gold, hunted for stuff, found a few abandoned mines that a guy could crawl into...I rode a Mtn Bike and had some access to the out of the way places...Like the 'Hippy Hole' on Battle Creek...

Theres also Fairburn Agates down by Hot Springs on the river below Angostura....Great big friendly Bull Snakes etc...Fossils everywhere in the BadLands......the BH are a very unique ecosystem/microclimate....Its a dang cool place overall...

Hey Wutchy...I just went through the process of joining this forum just to ask YOU if anyone has gone out with you yet. I'm in Rapid and want to go. I just need a mentor. Reply and let's plan some outings!

BHPlugger

23 posts in 6 years, I doubt he's still here.
Hope he didn't get lost in the black hills! ;)

There have been stories of lost cached gold and other loot since there's been humans I think... There are stories here in my part of Oklahoma, lots of nice treasures that people have been hunting for generations.

Never assume you're the only detectorist around, you may just not see the others... until the day after some big event then they all come out of the woodwork. Maybe not serious ones, but some folks with an interest in it at least! That's where you'll find them the easiest. I run into my local ones here usually the day after the annual 4th of July blowout extravaganza at our city park.

As far as gold panning, it's backbreaking work but very fun when you get some color in your pan, been at it myself for over 30 years and go whenever I can, that and rockhounding kind of go hand in hand. To get a good legal spot to prospect is the problem, you will probably have to join a famous gold mining club that has claims for members to prospect in all of the states.

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated on your adventures.

Hey Mud, we will have to run into each other in years ahead. I want to buy a class A home and travel around for a few months at a time in the winter months down south. In the summer, head up to Canada or northern USA.

Man! That sounds like the Plan! Stay just ahead of the weather, and be in the paydirt! I'm doing a tremendous amount of research into the RVs as well as watching a lot of youtube vids by people that are Fulltimers....The Ins and Outs of State Registrations, mail forwarding services,...checking out "Workkamping" ways of making money on the road etc...

I'm also surfing For Sale Used rigs...Looking at Class A's and C's...I'm pretty good at fixing things.... experienced with AC/DC power, hydraulics, HVAC, plumbing, and wringing a lot of years out of a vehicle..So yeah, it should be a good fit for a final adventure kind of deal for a guy like me. Good Luck brother! Maybe we can start a Metal Detecting Convoy Someday!:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom