Funny Things that Happen While Detecting

Yep, that has happened a few times, if they are being super obnoxous, I tell them quit being so cheap, and throw down some 50 cent pieces or silver and gold. They usually look startled. :lol:

Just last week I had a guy sitting on a picnic table nearby at the park toss a handful of clad out in the higher grass and asked me if I think I could find it. I walked over and found 3 dimes, a nickel, 6 pennies and 3 quarters (to be fair, I spotted most of it without the detector). He watched as I swung my detector over a few spots and picked up the coins I saw. I showed it to him, and he seemed impressed that I found it. He then asked "Do you ever make any money doing this?" I said "Well, I just made $1.16 off of you in about 3 minutes." and put the coins in my coin pouch. He laughed and said "fair enough" and left me alone after that.

Just last week I had a guy sitting on a picnic table nearby at the park toss a handful of clad out in the higher grass and asked me if I think I could find it. I walked over and found 3 dimes, a nickel, 6 pennies and 3 quarters (to be fair, I spotted most of it without the detector). He watched as I swung my detector over a few spots and picked up the coins I saw. I showed it to him, and he seemed impressed that I found it. He then asked "Do you ever make any money doing this?" I said "Well, I just made $1.16 off of you in about 3 minutes." and put the coins in my coin pouch. He laughed and said "fair enough" and left me alone after that.

:laughing: , It takes a while for some people to catch on to some things doesn't it .

I was detecting near a teenager in a park. She asked me the usual, whatcha doin? So I gave my stock answer, I'm cleaning the county parks one pull tab at a time. She cocked her head, considered that, then said, gee, I didn't know they paid someone to do that!

I was detecting near a teenager in a park. She asked me the usual, whatcha doin? So I gave my stock answer, I'm cleaning the county parks one pull tab at a time. She cocked her head, considered that, then said, gee, I didn't know they paid someone to do that!

I'm surprised she even noticed you there if she's like most of them, always looking down texting. :D

No, she was there with two pit bulls off leash (illegal). As I was digging, one would always have its head in the hole and the other would jump on my back. I finally had to tell the girl to get them out of there or one might have been "accidentally" hit with a shovel on its head and it would be---dog-gone!:ewink:

while hunting i keep hearing high tones everywhere i swing but could not pinpoint the target where exactly it is. almost an hour gone no target dug then i realized the sunray switch was on the probe side...newbie at its best! lol [emoji1]

Just had a funny one yesterday. I was detecting around a playground and had kids watching me. They were pretty unimpressed with the foil I was digging and quickly left, but one of them, a boy about seven, said, "Tell me if you find a car." Expecting that he'd lost a Hotwheels car I said, "A toy car? Or a real one?" and, with a totally straight face, he said, "A real one." :laughing: I told him I would be sure to tell him if I dug up a real car. It was one of the funniest things kids have ever said to me while detecting. Except for that one time at the beach when a girl referred to my ProPointer as a vibrator. lol :laughing: I also recently had a guy ask if my detector could find paper money.

My home is located near the rear gate of a large military installation, and one of the parks I metal detect in lies just across a lake from the main post.
While detecting in this park one day I noticed a fellow wearing black motorcycle leathers, appearing to be asleep on one of the tables, with his bike and black helmet resting against it.
Having nearly completed metal detecting the park I was finishing up in the tot lot, digging for a quarter in the bark.
As I started to stand up I noticed that the guy had approached my rear and was watching from a few feet away.
As he opened his mouth to speak I steeled myself for the usual....."finding anything"?
Instead he asked if I was from the fort, and if I was, he was glad to see me.
Take aback by this I asked why he asked that.
He said that he was a Korean War veteran who had lived here all his life and had ridden his bike in this park for many years, and he knew what was going on.
I asked him to let me in on it, I wasn't from the fort, but I was a veteran and whatever concerned him concerned me.
He said he knew for several years that the Army had been lobbing those shells over this way, he knew that I was a metal detector expert, and he was glad they had finally sent someone over to clean up their mess.
I asked him if he'd ever seen or heard a shell fall here, or had he ever seen anyone find one.
He said no he hadn't, but now that I was there, he would watch to see how long it took me to find one.
I asked if he really felt safe knowing that some of these shells may have not exploded, and maybe my metal detector would set them off if I did find one.
Shaking his head, grabbing his helmet and straddling his bike the guy frantically pedaled away.
As he left he said he knew there was strings attached anytime the government was involved, and he wasn't about to be blown up for their pleasure.
I took my few pieces of clad and scatted out of the park so that if he returned anytime soon I would be long gone.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT Hand held

My home is located near the rear gate of a large military installation, and one of the parks I metal detect in lies just across a lake from the main post.
While detecting in this park one day I noticed a fellow wearing black motorcycle leathers, appearing to be asleep on one of the tables, with his bike and black helmet resting against it.
Having nearly completed metal detecting the park I was finishing up in the tot lot, digging for a quarter in the bark.
As I started to stand up I noticed that the guy had approached my rear and was watching from a few feet away.
As he opened his mouth to speak I steeled myself for the usual....."finding anything"?
Instead he asked if I was from the fort, and if I was, he was glad to see me.
Take aback by this I asked why he asked that.
He said that he was a Korean War veteran who had lived here all his life and had ridden his bike in this park for many years, and he knew what was going on.
I asked him to let me in on it, I wasn't from the fort, but I was a veteran and whatever concerned him concerned me.
He said he knew for several years that the Army had been lobbing those shells over this way, he knew that I was a metal detector expert, and he was glad they had finally sent someone over to clean up their mess.
I asked him if he'd ever seen or heard a shell fall here, or had he ever seen anyone find one.
He said no he hadn't, but now that I was there, he would watch to see how long it took me to find one.
I asked if he really felt safe knowing that some of these shells may have not exploded, and maybe my metal detector would set them off if I did find one.
Shaking his head, grabbing his helmet and straddling his bike the guy frantically pedaled away.
As he left he said he knew there was strings attached anytime the government was involved, and he wasn't about to be blown up for their pleasure.
I took my few pieces of clad and scatted out of the park so that if he returned anytime soon I would be long gone.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT Hand held

Hope the guy can get some help.

I just recently got my first MD. I was in the back yard swinging away while I let the dogs out to leave landmines. It was night, so all I had was the light from our floodlights. I dug one signal and found a little piece of metal, who knows what? I started to swing away some more when I heard the sliding glass door open, and my wife asking me, "find anything?" then a really loud scream and a THUD!

Lock story short, fill in your digs!! What luck she found the only 6inch hole in the entire yard?!?

Years ago I was detecting along a sidewalk in an area where a lot of Vietnamese had settled after the war. I saw an old lady with what was probably her granddaughter approaching. Seeing me she crossed to the other side of the street. Her granddaughter said "She thinks you're looking for land mines."

Ironic coin find!

Hello,Dale here (newbie)....I went back to my old local park to go detecting...when I pulled up to park by the curb and got out I started seeing several coins....quarters,nickels,dimes pennies.....all along the grass line and curb...so I started picking them up,and had a huge handful and looked all around the road and there were more just scattered everywhere! Like hundreds! All down the street too! Too many!...I just wanted to find and dig them up with my new detector,not just thrown out there! So I stopped picking them up and dug about 20 holes to find like 12 cents! But...I did find a really cool 1920 Art Deco Tie Pin...and that was all worth the trip! Just felt weird seeing all those coins laying there while I was digging! :detector:

Attachments

• 12805713_10205626643055151_736376229812688326_n (960x540).jpg
    12805713_10205626643055151_736376229812688326_n (960x540).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,254
Someone asked me ???

One day on the beach detecting .Someone asked me if I was detecting for fishing worm ????

Last edited by a moderator:
The other day at a sidewalk tear out, I was on my knees trying to find my target. A man in a pickup truck stopped next to me. I didn't hear what he said because I had my headphones on. I took them off and walked up to him. "Oh" he said. "I thought that you were a blind man with a cane trying to cross the street. I was going to help you."

The other day at a sidewalk tear out, I was on my knees trying to find my target. A man in a pickup truck stopped next to me. I didn't hear what he said because I had my headphones on. I took them off and walked up to him. "Oh" he said. "I thought that you were a blind man with a cane trying to cross the street. I was going to help you."

:laughing::lol:

Back
Top Bottom