Using rifle bipod for detector stand

ProDigger

Fed up with my detector getting muddy, I first had the idea of using a "Y" fishing rod stand to prop my detector on when digging the target. I clipped this to my spade so I was only carrying the one item and this worked ok on sand & pasture but the slightest hill or incline & it wanted to fall over.
I now use a rifle barrel bipod mount which works great in all terrain. The legs swing up when you're detecting & take only seconds to swing down & lock into position for when you want to dig.
See photos
The one I use is a Zeadio and will fit most detectors without needing any modification. It will fit shafts 14mm to 22mm diameter.
Yes, it adds a bit of weight of course but I find the pros outweigh the cons.
You can get them for around $20 on Amazon. The detector does not feel unbalanced when you're swinging it with the bipod mount on it. I just leave it on all the time.

Attachments

• DSC03823.JPG
    DSC03823.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,444
  • DSC03826.JPG
    DSC03826.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,308
  • DSC03828.JPG
    DSC03828.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Zeadio tactical rifle bipod.jpg
    Zeadio tactical rifle bipod.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,199
  • Mount sizes.jpg
    Mount sizes.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,209
Nice idea,,if the extra weight don't bother you.
At least good for hunting swamps,,,like the currently Mo and Arkansas.

Rifle Bipod

Does it improve the balance with larger coils?

Hi Rockcore,
I couldn't say, as I don't use a larger coil, but it seems to me that it would, as you'd then have weight at the front & weight at the back. I use the Zeadeo H03 which weighs just 12.2oz but other bipod stands will be different weights.
https://www.amazon.com/Zeadio®-Tactical-Picatinny-10mm-22mm-Warranty/dp/B00XQQ4TH0

Myself, using the AT Pro, I saved 3lbs in weight by switching to the 5x8" coil from the standard 8.5 x 11", so the extra 12.2oz of the bipod stand is still less weight than the standard set up and not noticeable when detecting.
Hope this helps.
Roland

TNSharpshotter- bipod stand

Nice idea,,if the extra weight don't bother you.
At least good for hunting swamps,,,like the currently Mo and Arkansas.

The weight of the stand I use, (Zeadeo H03) is 12.2oz but other mounts will be different weights.

Wow, that's slightly nicer than my solution to that problem! Good thinking. :yes:

This is what I've got:

Attachments

• DSCN4133.jpg
    DSCN4133.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,020
Nice idea. I would move it back as far as I could and not have it extended, that way you might not have to fold it up, because folding and unfolding it may make it collapse easily.

I hate mud and don't hunt if it's that muddy. My detectors spend most of the time lying on their side and it hasn't seemed to bother them. I like to keep everything as light as possible and don't need any extra weight.

I was thinking of using something like that on my V3i to keep it from getting into wet grass or scratched but where it would attach to mine is 22.5mm so I dont know if it would fit.

So im looking at something like a Beamshot universal barrel mount. Its a picatinny rail that mounts to a shotgun barrel 20 to 24mm and then I could attach any rifle bipod or even a tactical light for all the night hunts I go on.. :laughing: Or a laser :shock:

Beamshot_zpszvxmjkk3.jpg

I plan to single point sling mine, like an assault...er, that is, like a modern sporting rifle. :D

I already added a Blackhawk! strap on ring to the ETP shaft, now I just need to get the sling, hookup, adjust it, and then I'll be set. I have a bad back, so all that putting down and picking up is a pain for me.

Zeadio

Fed up with my detector getting muddy, I first had the idea of using a "Y" fishing rod stand to prop my detector on when digging the target. I clipped this to my spade so I was only carrying the one item and this worked ok on sand & pasture but the slightest hill or incline & it wanted to fall over.
I now use a rifle barrel bipod mount which works great in all terrain. The legs swing up when you're detecting & take only seconds to swing down & lock into position for when you want to dig.
See photos
The one I use is a Zeadio and will fit most detectors without needing any modification. It will fit shafts 14mm to 22mm diameter.
Yes, it adds a bit of weight of course but I find the pros outweigh the cons.
You can get them for around $20 on Amazon. The detector does not feel unbalanced when you're swinging it with the bipod mount on it. I just leave it on all the time.

Do you have a model number ? The Zeadio ones I seen only fit 19mm max. I believe most detector shafts are 22 mm

Do you have a model number ? The Zeadio ones I seen only fit 19mm max. I believe most detector shafts are 22 mm

Zeadio rifle bipod

The one I bought was the Zeadio H03. It fits my Garrett AT Pro shaft OK but of course I can't vouch for other detectors.

I used the one from my Nokta Impact, a bit of rubber in the o ring to snug it up as it doesn’t fit properly. Made of plastic so weighs next to nothing

Back
Top Bottom