Question: Hunting lake beaches, how does a person get started?

SWKDigger, thanks for those tips! I would not have thought of a lot of that. Still waiting on my waterproof headphones and some swim type clothes to arrive before giving it a shot, but am kinda getting anxious to give this a go!

I do not wear fancy swim wear.
If it is cold, I wear chest waders and a sweet shirt.

Not to cold out, I wear old blue jeans.

If nice, I wear old shorts. I look funny when I wear shorts with my old work type boots I got at a garage sale.

That is what I do.

KEN :D

I do not wear fancy swim wear.
If it is cold, I wear chest waders and a sweet shirt.

Not to cold out, I wear old blue jeans.

If nice, I wear old shorts. I look funny when I wear shorts with my old work type boots I got at a garage sale.

That is what I do.

KEN :D

Thanks Ken, I ordered myself a long sleeve top and what they're calling these days "swim pants" that will keep me from frying myself burnt in the hot sun I hope... The big benefit to this for me is that they're supposed to be thin neoprene to dry really fast, so after I hit the water with some luck a few minutes of drying time and I'll be ready to drive home, no clothing change needed. I figure that way if I'm having no luck at one lake I can scoot on over to the next one without drenching my truck.

I used to wear my high top work boots with shorts when I did land surveying in the summer. I looked funny too! :lol: I quit wearing shorts after I turned 55, some things just aren't meant to be seen after that I think and old legs are one of them! :shock: :lol:

You might want to get a pair of chest waders if you going in mucky swampy places lots of creepy crawlers I use Hogman ones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ewwwww, leeches, "If there's anything in the world I hate, it's leeches, the filthy little devils" Quote, the great Humphrey Bogart, African Queen.

Waders will disappoint after a while. A wet suit will let you go deeper and also protect you. I use a 5mm all summer although I am completely underwater. A 3mm one piece would work.

Just need booties and you are good to go. Sooner or later you will want to go deeper than waders will allow. If there are a lot of waders with detectors in your area getting as deep as you can should bring up more goodies.

I get things others can't

Waders will disappoint after a while. A wet suit will let you go deeper and also protect you. I use a 5mm all summer although I am completely underwater. A 3mm one piece would work.

Just need booties and you are good to go. Sooner or later you will want to go deeper than waders will allow. If there are a lot of waders with detectors in your area getting as deep as you can should bring up more goodies.

I get things others can't

First she wanted to wade in a little, pretty soon she was deep sea diving with that detector-thing! :laughing::lol: This is how obsessions become even more, well, obsessive :laughing:

My website has some helpful information if you want to look at the tips. You won't want to dive with that critter, you will drown it. But you will want to go as deep as you can. Lots of gold out there.

I was watching a video of NuggetNoggin and noticed that on his belt rig he used a carabineer to attach both his pinpointer and another for his AT-PRO, pretty clever so they don't float away, or sink away...would really, really suck to see your $150 pinpointer go missing ironically as you look for things others lost....right?

My website has some helpful information if you want to look at the tips. You won't want to dive with that critter, you will drown it. But you will want to go as deep as you can. Lots of gold out there.

I'll check out your site, halfway kidding about diving but halfway not too :yes:

I was watching a video of NuggetNoggin and noticed that on his belt rig he used a carabineer to attach both his pinpointer and another for his AT-PRO, pretty clever so they don't float away, or sink away...would really, really suck to see your $150 pinpointer go missing ironically as you look for things others lost....right?

No kidding, that would stink. Great idea, I use caribineers on my purse at Wally-World when I shop, clip the thing to the basket just in case someone decides to try a grab & go. The irony there is I carry my important stuff ON me, not in my purse anyway, but still.

Yikes! I went and read your tips, kinda spooked me to be honest, I don't want to get drowned for sure :shock: but seeing the kind of stuff you find makes it interesting as a potential future activity, maybe after some actual diving training I'm thinking...

So question, if you don't mind, what is a BC? Sorry to be so ignorant of basic stuff but I have never investigated this topic before, but I think I understood everything else on your tips.

One other thing, that news video was great!

Yikes! I went and read your tips, kinda spooked me to be honest, I don't want to get drowned for sure :shock: but seeing the kind of stuff you find makes it interesting as a potential future activity, maybe after some actual diving training I'm thinking...

So question, if you don't mind, what is a BC? Sorry to be so ignorant of basic stuff but I have never investigated this topic before, but I think I understood everything else on your tips.

A BC is a buoyancy compensatory. It holds weights and air. Weights to keep you down and air to make you hover off the bottom. It is used by divers

The vest I am wearing is a BC. It holds the tank, weight pouches, and has a hose going to it so you can add air if you sink. I like staying on the bottom so I stay negative buoyant.

The vest I am wearing is a BC. It holds the tank, weight pouches, and has a hose going to it so you can add air if you sink. I like staying on the bottom so I stay negative buoyant.

I take it that they're customized for whatever specific type of diving you're doing, looks like a lot of gear but well organized.

Hey maybe a diver propulsion device like in this movie clip can help -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2791096&postcount=7

m0254.gif m0262.gif m02111.gif m02112.gif

I see your question's been answered, but thought I'd post a pic of myself in full dive gear for you. :D

I've never heard of a BCD just called a BC. I've always been told BCD (Buoyancy Control Device or Buoyancy Compensation Device). It's basically a vest with straps that hold your air tank and weights. You inflate it when you want to float and deflate it to sink.

Attachments

• 0709161017-01.jpg
    0709161017-01.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 78
Hey maybe a diver propulsion device like in this movie clip can help -

Hey that's cool, just go jettin' around down there :lol:

I see your question's been answered, but thought I'd post a pic of myself in full dive gear for you. :D

I've never heard of a BCD just called a BC. I've always been told BCD (Buoyancy Control Device or Buoyancy Compensation Device). It's basically a vest with straps that hold your air tank and weights. You inflate it when you want to float and deflate it to sink.

Cool pic, you look like you mean business! :yes:

I've been getting my gear all together, and so far have some duds to wear in the water, the scoop, the waterproof headphones... I was scratching my head on what to do for a sieve when it occurred to me I have several gold panning sieves laying around so I enlisted BB to give me a hand attaching a swim noodle to one of them with zip ties, then a para cord lanyard.

I think it turned out okay. We test floated it and it works with a brick size rock in it, so I think it should be sufficiently buoyant.

Unfortunately the weather is changing again here which is giving me a big dang sinus headache, so I probably won't get out to give this a test drive until tomorrow or Tuesday. Dang...

picture.php

Back
Top Bottom