round bottom bottle ?????

bibelot

Forum Supporter
DSC02833.JPG

DSC02835.JPG

DSC02836.JPG

They don't want the. Bottle standing upright. I believe its for wine !

I think you are right about it being for wine. If I recall correctly, wine is supposed to be stored horizontally, with an incline to the neck, so the cork stays wet. The dregs accumulate on the cork, and come out with it, so you don't get them when you pour the wine. To ensure that the bottle is not stored standing up, a round bottom makes perfect sense.

It's a generic soda bottle. Dug many of them. Worth more if embossed, most came from overseas. A really fun collectible....

This style bottles curved bottom had several distinct advantages. First it forced the user to store the bottle on its side therefore keeping liquid in contact with the cork. This prevented the cork from drying out. The design was also much stronger than conventional flat bottom bottles so they were less likely to break from pressure, when used to contain carbonated water. I also speculate that another advantage to the round bottom is that once open the user was more apt to keep drinking since he could not easily rest the bottle without spilling the contents.

These bottles are sometimes refereed to as Hamiltons. The round bottom version are called Ballast Bottles because theoretically they would pack into the cargo holds of ships more compactly and could then be used as a ship ballast. From personal experience this does not seem to be true. All of the round and torpedo bottles I have recovered from shipwrecks were always packed in square crates just like their flat bottom counterparts.

s-l300.jpg
F630D3A0AB7847C3AE8875FBEFF71D09.jpg

20150108-20150108-img_0029_snapseed_1.jpg

Thanks for the replies.I wasn't expecting it to be a soda bottle.I almost chucked it for it almost looks cracked in the light along the top but it is just the way the funnel shaped mouth was was formed, has air bubbles in the glass as well. One of my better finds lately.

Back
Top Bottom