Anyone know anything about this bottle I found?

helgriffan

I was playing disc golf in a newly dug up area where they were doing construction. And I found this bottle in a pile of dirt. It looks old and hand blown. It says "GENUINE TILLY" "HARLEMOIL" on one side and "HARLEM HOLLAND" on the other.
I dont know much about Bottles. Just wondering if anyone does?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 831
  • IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 817
Calling Glasshopper , he will have the info . The little bottles sometimes have a more value then the larger ones . Nice eyeball find , I'd hit that dirt if ya can !

Congrats , ,,,,,HH

Haarlem oil is a product for horses. Apparently it's Geritol for horses. Still made today. You can find more info on google.

Calling Glasshopper , he will have the info . The little bottles sometimes have a more value then the larger ones . Nice eyeball find , I'd hit that dirt if ya can !

Congrats , ,,,,,HH

Sweet thanks! Im curious now! Ill have to go back and look around a bit more!

Definitely take your detector with you when you go back! Sounds a spot with potential, good luck and let us know what else you find.

Haarlem oil is a product for horses. Apparently it's Geritol for horses. Still made today. You can find more info on google.
I don't personally have one of those bottles but they are probably 1890s to early 1900s. I have seen accounts where they look older than they really are. IDK. Evidently they ran afoul of the Pure Food & Drug act.

Here's some info on Haarlem Oil:

http://www.bottlebooks.com/questions/Oct2001/haarlem_oil.htm

At the bottom of the 1911 ruling they were fined $10 and cost for the misleading labeling :lol::lol: Bottle should have a high value ? ,,,,,HH

I was playing disc golf in a newly dug up area where they were doing construction. And I found this bottle in a pile of dirt. It looks old and hand blown. It says "GENUINE TILLY" "HARLEMOIL" on one side and "HARLEM HOLLAND" on the other.
I dont know much about Bottles. Just wondering if anyone does?
Thanks

Look for a seam to tells if its machine made or not.

Likely a turn of last century bottle and a I wouldn't argue that it could date back to the 1870's . Definitely a medicinal of some type . A very cool find . Color and condition do not favor it to be an overly valuable bottle from a monetary sense. While likely not common that alone doesn't make a bottle worth a lot of money. Many bottles like this are locally common . But I'd sure check out that site as I'd bet good money there's a nice dump somewhere and if your bottle is any indication the dump is of the age to produce some keepers. Good luck.

Hmm dang it does look like there is a seam on it... Maybe it is machine made. Def an interesting bottle to say the least!
Thanks for the info!

Whether a bottle has a seam or not isn't the only indication of age. A bottle may have been blown in mold (B.I.M.), turn-mold, free-blown, 3-piece mold, etc. The thing to look for is color, where the seam stops (if it has one), type and style of top/bottom, whether pontilled or not, what that type of bottle was generally used for, when the product was produced (if it is embossed on the bottle, etc. Many different things to determine age. Gaspipe has it right. And-I'd be hitting that place hard.

Your bottle was definately not machine made.

old

It looks the same as the pre civil war style bottles. It "IS" pre 1900... Pre 1865 most bottles had a pontil of some sort... It was not machine made. That started in 1903... great find...
Gary from Oregon

Cool thanks for the info Guys... I wonder if it has any value? Im def going to go look around a bit more and see if anything else was dug up.
Thanks

Cool thanks for the info Guys... I wonder if it has any value? Im def going to go look around a bit more and see if anything else was dug up.
Thanks

They're not valuable really, as there were many made, but thet ARE cool as heck. Finding these old drug and quack med bottles are what makes bottle hunting so much fun. So many different kinds to find. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom