Masked Indian and the Nut It Rode In On...

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I got out to an farm field for a couple hours over the weekend that I hunted quite a bit last year, hoping to squeeze a few more goodies out of it. I wasn’t having much luck - miscellaneous brass and copper bits was all I was managing for the first half of the hunt - so when I got over a somewhat inconsistent sounding 19-21 signal, I didn’t hold much hope of anything different. The tone stayed in that higher range (EQ800) most of the way around the target, but in one direction it broke down, varying between 15-22 and even some iron grunts. Sigh....”more junk”, I thought. Still, there was something about the sound that convinced me it might be something good, and I popped open a plug. About 5” down, slightly offset from my pinpoint center, I dredge out a big ol’, rusty 1” square nut :cuss: The annoyance wore off quickly as I realized that there’s no way that nut gave off such a nice tone in the other directions. I swung the detector over the hole again, and this time I got a solid 19 all the way around - sure enough, there was a 1901 Indian in the side of the hole maybe just slightly shallower than the nut!! I was stunned that the machine saw the Indian in such close proximity to the beefy iron...pretty dang cool!

Soon after the Indian, I noticed a portion of the field near the road where the farmer cut a little deeper into the frontage than he has in previous years (see the pic below), so I spent some time hitting the newly churned up section. It’s always tougher hunting closer to the road, because the modern trash density increases from litterbugs, but before too long I got over a distinctive sounding 12-13 signal with some depth. Turned the plug, and got rewarded with a V nickel! Not even 3 feet further down the recently cut section, I was thrilled to hear a nearly identical sounding 12-13 tone! Digging again, it was long before I spotted another nickel sized coin - this one was noticeably slicker, but turned out to be a V also!! The first one turned out to be 1889, but the second one is too slick and corroded - the date is almost, but not quite, visible.

Rounded out the hunt with a “Blue Bell” button from an old pair of work overalls.

Pics below show the cleaned Indian next to it’s nut, the newly turned portion of the farm field, and before/after cleaning shots of coins & button. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• EF7CF818-D12F-40D5-8907-EBA594DB69DA.jpg
    EF7CF818-D12F-40D5-8907-EBA594DB69DA.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 660
  • ECC931F3-1BB9-4342-8E3E-63C8C7764184.jpg
    ECC931F3-1BB9-4342-8E3E-63C8C7764184.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 592
  • BDF39851-C5E8-43D3-BA10-EA169CDE1D8C.jpg
    BDF39851-C5E8-43D3-BA10-EA169CDE1D8C.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 606
  • 7BEDEFF3-3D36-4B94-8AF5-6D0C966CC073.jpg
    7BEDEFF3-3D36-4B94-8AF5-6D0C966CC073.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 601
  • 7BDF668D-D658-45DF-A574-068183E869F6.jpg
    7BDF668D-D658-45DF-A574-068183E869F6.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 594
  • 76017239-6A15-4C40-907E-B7D7EEED2317.jpg
    76017239-6A15-4C40-907E-B7D7EEED2317.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 625
  • 3E092A14-9984-4D57-A485-5706F5134C87.jpg
    3E092A14-9984-4D57-A485-5706F5134C87.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 592
  • B40D19E2-E12A-4811-A0E0-9C154EA616EA.jpg
    B40D19E2-E12A-4811-A0E0-9C154EA616EA.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 599
Your really had to earn those coins Ben. A great job not only in the recovery but also in the cleaning. In the cleaned picture on the second "V: the date looks like 90 or 96 to me. Anyway congrats on the Indian and the 2 "V's". Trapper

Ben, great hunt ! congrats, that Ihp is in nice shape. Believe it or not I could mirror your story on the Ihp. Wouldn't change a word except I had a Merc in with the huge iron nut. Also got a gift, digging a 12-13 I had a Barber dime hiding in with a V nickel. In some cases you just can't beat the Equinox. Again congrats. HH Mark

Nice job pulling that Indian out along with the iron. Nice to see the V nickels I have never pulled one out of the ground yet. I guess we all have a white whale of some sort.

Great finds! I have been wondering a while now... when you guys hunt fields, are they ones that formerly had a farmstead, or are you finding stuff dropped by farmers over the years?

Your really had to earn those coins Ben. A great job not only in the recovery but also in the cleaning. In the cleaned picture on the second "V: the date looks like 90 or 96 to me. Anyway congrats on the Indian and the 2 "V's". Trapper

Thanks Trapper! I often have just as much fun cleaning my finds as I do finding them - it's a little bit of an art in and of itself, and oddly calming :yes: You might be right on the date - depending how I angle the light, I also thought the last digit might be either a 6 or a 0. Trouble is, every time I look at it, I see a different number in the third spot too. Sometimes I think I can see an 8...sometimes I think it's a 9! Oh well - I've learned to love the aged look of the old nickels, and I'm just happy to see that I can easily identify them as Vs.

Ha! That’s awesome! Sweet finds! Great story and pics. Nice job

Thanks WyoTom!

Good finds.

Thanks waltr!

Ben, great hunt ! congrats, that Ihp is in nice shape. Believe it or not I could mirror your story on the Ihp. Wouldn't change a word except I had a Merc in with the huge iron nut. Also got a gift, digging a 12-13 I had a Barber dime hiding in with a V nickel. In some cases you just can't beat the Equinox. Again congrats. HH Mark

Thanks Mark! I've heard several stories now about how the Equinox does an exceptional job unmasking targets, but this was the first time I actually experienced it myself...I really was impressed with the machine!

Nice job pulling that Indian out along with the iron. Nice to see the V nickels I have never pulled one out of the ground yet. I guess we all have a white whale of some sort.

Thanks Dan! I'll trade you a couple of my Vs for a couple of your Barber quarters! :cool3: ;)

Nice farm field finds! Hopefully you can get on some old silver out there!

Thanks Waveoff! I've hunted that field quite a bit last year with my Max and got several silvers out of it - and I bagged by first silver with the EQ earlier this year in the same field, an 1877 CC Seated dime :cool3: I have no doubt that there's more - it's just getting harder and harder to squeeze them out. I've hunted the place hard!

Good find and good write up. Anyone can find the easy ones. But finds like that require skill.

Thanks Mountain Mike! I really appreciate that! I really feel like I'm starting to understand and get truly comfortable with the EQ800 - I'm probably approaching 50 hours on the machine now :yes:

Great finds! I have been wondering a while now... when you guys hunt fields, are they ones that formerly had a farmstead, or are you finding stuff dropped by farmers over the years?

Thanks Kevin! Yes, most of the fields I hunt are former home/farmstead sites, but also sometimes former churches or schools identified on old maps. This field happens to be the site of a former town, so there was a ton of activity. I definitely wouldn't recommend just hunting a random field - the occasional drop finds would probably be exceedingly rare.

Good play-by-play ! Love the in-situ pix. Love the kissed coin pix. Thanx for sharing.

Thanks Kevin! Yes, most of the fields I hunt are former home/farmstead sites, but also sometimes former churches or schools identified on old maps. This field happens to be the site of a former town, so there was a ton of activity. I definitely wouldn't recommend just hunting a random field - the occasional drop finds would probably be exceedingly rare.

Yep, I do hunt 'random' farm fields since this area has no former home, towns (all has been rebuilt on). Good finds are very rare but exist.

Best find is an 1850 Bank of Canada half penny in the middle of a local soccer field (was farm field until 10 years ago).

Mostly the farm fields just yield rusty junk.

Congrats on some great finds. Thanks for the, in detail write up, it made it feel like I was there. Nice job!

Excellent nickels my friend!

Thanks teotw! Two Vs in one hunt is a first for me!

Good play-by-play ! Love the in-situ pix. Love the kissed coin pix. Thanx for sharing.

Congrats on some great finds. Thanks for the, in detail write up, it made it feel like I was there. Nice job!

Thanks Tom and chaiosComo! For me, part of the fun is sharing the experience of the hunt - I’m glad to hear it’s appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom