Curse of Oak Island looses one

My favorite is the voice-over announcer and his reaction to everything:

Marty: "Well, that looks old. It reminds me of a strap used on old wooden creates."

Announcer: "A strap?? From a wooden create??? The sort used to transfer treasure??? Found on Oak Island??????

I would say Dan had a long life , died of old age , lol, i still watch the show, even if no treasure exist's , you guy's know , pirate blood is in us all , show us the booty :laughing::pirate:

Yeah they are all part of them digging up a tar pit.. sorry Tom had to say it :laughing:

I have to confess I enjoy the show and think the legend is fascinating. I personally think what ever treasure was located there was removed long ago, or the whole story was a decoy or hoax.

There is no doubt people have been searching for it for years and some of the "finds" ie the human bone from deep underground ect are interesting in their own right...

Re Gary Drayton..I have trouble taking to the guy...He has his own website site which is mostly about promoting himself and what looks like his self published books on metal detecting..

Interestingly, it makes no reference to his role on Oak Island.. What really makes me cringe is that he refers to himself as a "Metal Detecting Ninja" :roll::roll:

Marty: "Well, that looks old. It reminds me of a strap used on old wooden creates."

Announcer: "A strap?? From a wooden create??? The sort used to transfer treasure??? Found on Oak Island??????
I'm with you....every piece of junk that is found has the announcer asking things in the form of a question. Drove me nuts. Haven't watched it in quite a while.

I have to confess I enjoy the show and think the legend is fascinating. I personally think what ever treasure was located there was removed long ago, or the whole story was a decoy or hoax.

There is no doubt people have been searching for it for years and some of the "finds" ie the human bone from deep underground ect are interesting in their own right...

Re Gary Drayton..I have trouble taking to the guy...He has his own website site which is mostly about promoting himself and what looks like his self published books on metal detecting..

Interestingly, it makes no reference to his role on Oak Island.. What really makes me cringe is that he refers to himself as a "Metal Detecting Ninja" :roll::roll:
I can't stand Gary Drayton either. Every time they mention his name the announcer refers to him as a "metal detecting expert" .When you have to keep referring to him as an expert there's a good chance he's not such an expert after all.

When the show airs over here, it has a British announcer speaking proper (The Queens) English, but he has exactly the same style as his Colonial cousin you guys get, so its obviously scripted that way, and they both really do suck..

I also hate the constant repeats of whats gone on previously...If you took out the adverts and constant rehashing of the old material, I bet each episode would only e about 20minutes long!:roll:

the Curse of Oak Island TV Show

Hi ! :tiphat: This is an interesting thread !

I'll just add my 2 bits with some obvious thoughts "If they do find the treasure, wouldn't that end the show ?". (If so, they probably already have another money-maker treasure show on the back burner and ready to go !)

The Oak Island show reminds me of Gold Rush, a constant roller-coaster ride of progress, breakdown, repair and continuing to struggle on, etc., etc., etc.. Reminds me of the reality of life on planet Earth for most humans and that's why I stopped watching Gold Rush after several years, the same-old stuff got boring and depressing !

However, despite the similarity with Gold Rush, I still watch Oak Island on a regular basis, just to be on hand in case the Lagina brothers do hit pay dirt. Wouldn't it be thrilling if they uncovered the Ark of the Covenant ! That would be on par with the U.S. government releasing what they know about alien life in our Milky Way galaxy and might have the effect of turning some of our various religions topsy-turvy ! :lol:

ToddB64

Last edited:
Oak Island and gold rush seem to be one big advert on Big boy toys with the nice heavy machinery used. I believe many of us, especially me, have a secret wish of playing with those excavators, loaders, and dozers. From skid steers to big rock trucks to me it looks like playing with big toys. That's what keeps me recording and still watching Gold Rush. Oak Island, I really am more into the detecting and coin finds than anything else they do. As far as Drayton goes, I'm really envious of the guy to be honest. Except when he says " That's a real Bobby Dazzler ".

Hi ! :tiphat: This is an interesting thread !

I'll just add my 2 bits with some obvious thoughts "If they do find the treasure, wouldn't that end the show ?". (If so, they probably already have another money-maker treasure show on the back burner and ready to go !)

The Oak Island show reminds me of Gold Rush, a constant roller-coaster ride of progress, breakdown, repair and continuing to struggle on, etc., etc., etc.. Reminds me of the reality of life on planet Earth for most humans and that's why I stopped watching Gold Rush after several years, the same-old stuff got boring and depressing !

However, despite the similarity with Gold Rush, I still watch Oak Island on a regular basis, just to be on hand in case the Lagina brothers do hit pay dirt. Wouldn't it be thrilling if they uncovered the Ark of the Covenant ! That would be on par with the U.S. government releasing what they know about alien life in our Milky Way galaxy and might have the effect of turning some of our various religions topsy-turvy ! :lol:

ToddB64

Just remember....if the Lagina brothers hit paydirt on Oak Island it'd be all over the news, newspapers, and internet LONG before it would be on one of the Oak Island episodes.

Just remember....if the Lagina brothers hit paydirt on Oak Island it'd be all over the news, newspapers, and internet LONG before it would be on one of the Oak Island episodes.

Would it though? Remember, everyone signed NDAs, so they COULDN'T say anything :)

The Oak Island tale has the same fatal flaw as the "Lost Civil War Gold" guy's tale on the other website. Why bury treasure more than a couple of feet deep when no one had metal detectors back then? No need for elaborate shafts, tunnels or anything else. Just dig a two foot hole, drop it in and cover it up. And if you do it in the Fall, the falling leaves and pine needles will soon cover any trace that someone had dug a hole in that spot.

I think the fact that the original people dug a hole so deep is what makes it interesting. It is well known that there is "old" wood down below a hundred feet. I think the flood tunnels are a proven fact by now. This seems like an awful lot of trouble for nothing to be there. I believe they stashed other treasures on the island for quick recovery. I believe this may be what the ex-slave guy found and I believe the original searchers found some chest in the original money pit as his ancestors say. Whether or not there is anything of value left down there is any bodies guess. You've got to be somewhat of a romanticist to go for this kind of thing. most people who do it die poor. The show just gives some of us the opportunity to fantasize about things we didn't have the courage to embark on in the first place. I read that " Readers Digest" article back in the sixties and I wanted to go look for it so bad I could hardly stand it. You have to be willing to give up everything you own, even your time to do something like that. I wish those boys all the luck in the world. I hope they find it for Me, Dan Blankenship and all the others who have worked so hard to find it. The TV people don't mater that much one way or the other. I'm sure they made their money. Happy Treasure Hunting.

I think the fact that the original people dug a hole so deep is what makes it interesting. It is well known that there is "old" wood down below a hundred feet. I think the flood tunnels are a proven fact by now. This seems like an awful lot of trouble for nothing to be there. I believe they stashed other treasures on the island for quick recovery. I believe this may be what the ex-slave guy found and I believe the original searchers found some chest in the original money pit as his ancestors say. Whether or not there is anything of value left down there is any bodies guess. You've got to be somewhat of a romanticist to go for this kind of thing. most people who do it die poor. The show just gives some of us the opportunity to fantasize about things we didn't have the courage to embark on in the first place. I read that " Readers Digest" article back in the sixties and I wanted to go look for it so bad I could hardly stand it. You have to be willing to give up everything you own, even your time to do something like that. I wish those boys all the luck in the world. I hope they find it for Me, Dan Blankenship and all the others who have worked so hard to find it. The TV people don't mater that much one way or the other. I'm sure they made their money. Happy Treasure Hunting.

I've never seen any actual proof of there being "old" wood below 100 feet (other than what they "found" in the show, which is likely prior searcher's wood)

There's also no "real" information that anyone dug anything there, deep or not, prior to the original searchers.

The "flood tunnels" could very well be natural as well.

That being said, I also read the article in Reader's Digest many many years ago and I HOPE that there's something there, but I'm not too confident.

The problem with this tale is that it's gotten more outrageous over time. Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

Theories about artifacts present on the island range anywhere from pirate treasure, to Shakespearean manuscripts, to even possibly the Holy Grail or the Ark of the Covenant, with the Grail and the Ark being buried there by the Knights Templar.

Pirate treasure, possibly, but the rest of those stories are just baloney. Why on earth would the Holy Grail or the Ark of the Covenant end up in Nova Scotia? Sorry, just too silly of a tale for me to fall for it.

The problem with this tale is that it's gotten more outrageous over time. Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

Pirate treasure, possibly, but the rest of those stories are just baloney. Why on earth would the Holy Grail or the Ark of the Covenant end up in Nova Scotia? Sorry, just too silly of a tale for me to fall for it.

The problem is that pirates very rarely buried their treasure. They spent it. There’s never been a verified case of pirates going to anything remotely approaching this level of complexity. Again, I hope they find something. But I wouldn’t bet on it unless I was given incredible odds

I've never seen any actual proof of there being "old" wood below 100 feet (other than what they "found" in the show, which is likely prior searcher's wood)

There's also no "real" information that anyone dug anything there, deep or not, prior to the original searchers.

The "flood tunnels" could very well be natural as well.

That being said, I also read the article in Reader's Digest many many years ago and I HOPE that there's something there, but I'm not too confident.

I am fairly sure they have retrieved & dated old wood from those depths and don't forget those fragments of old bones which were also date and which had DNA from Europe and the Middle East...

I would tend to agree re the so called Flood Tunnels though...

In fact any such tunnels may have in fact been drains to allow water to be pumped out during the excavations..

They also seem to have "forgotten" or tossed aside that metal bucket and concrete wall found in Smiths Cove...Could that be because they don't really "fit" any of their theories???

Back
Top Bottom