• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Pro advice

Pro zero mode, full sensitivity ,ground balance and go. . I can't say enough good about the at pro, it's the reason the rest of these companies got off their asses and started reworking they're old tired tech.lol

It's one of my favorite detectors i run mine wide open sense no disc pro mode i use mine on California beaches mainly on days i'm dry sanding if it's a day that i'm mainly in the ocean i'll take something else but you don't have to deal with saltwater so you made a great choice

Pro mode, wide open. I found a ton of cool stuff running it that way. Anybody says different did not put enough time in with it. The only reason I switched was all that I had read about the Etrac I wanted to give it a try. You might want to reach out to Loves the Shiny, he's a beast with it. He'll set you straight Good luck. Mark

Pro mode, wide open. I found a ton of cool stuff running it that way. Anybody says different did not put enough time in with it. The only reason I switched was all that I had read about the Etrac I wanted to give it a try. You might want to reach out to Loves the Shiny, he's a beast with it. He'll set you straight Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark for that intro! Yep, I purchased my AT Pro in March of 2017, love that detector. Have found approx 1200 Silver Coins, 6000+ Wheat cents, and all sorts of goodies with that detector. Here in Montana we do get Silver Dollars and I have 7 of those (6 Peace 1 Morgan), also tokens, Indian Head Cents, Seated coins, Silver and Gold rings, Jewelry and more. You can check my posts on the Friendly Forum for the last 5 years to see how well the AT Pro can do.

It is a very simple and easy detector to operate. I run mine very much like many of the posts above... Pro Zero mode, nothing Notched or Discriminated out, and Full Sensitivity. I want to hear every signal and use my single brain cell as the source for deciding what to dig and what not to dig. The detector will remember those settings when turned on, just ground balance over clean soil (takes about 5 seconds) and get hunting.

The audio is 3 tones, with iron, nails, rebar, property stakes etc low tones, mid tones are foil, pull tabs, smaller can slaw, nickels, and gold. The tone break between mid and high tone happens right at Indian Head Cents, tokens, and sometimes crusty Zinc Cents. Smooth high tones mean at least a Wheat Cent, Copper Cent or clad or silver. The audio is Proportional (hence the AT Pro - the "Pro" being short for Proportional.) Sharp short tone for shallow or surface targets, and faint but smooth tones for deep targets.

The digital VDI readout is super accurate. I often have my friends who all use the Nox 800 ask me to scan their target to help with their ID. The pinpointing using the standard Elliptical coil is outstanding. My turf plugs are small and accurate. I have found good coins with an iron nail or other contamination in the hole, so I know my machine has some ability to unmask coins in that scenario.

I've said this a few times.. where I live... with moderate mineralized soil, semi arid climate with not a ton of rain or organic matter buildup, the AT Pro keeps pace with the Equinox and I find an equal amount of good targets, sometimes more with my machine. I do have several thousand hours on my detector so I do have that advantage of really understanding my machine.

The only limitation I have is that the AT Pro (along with about every other single frequency detector) will perform poorly in a salt water detecting environment (other than the dry sand). Not a problem in Montana! :lol: Any other questions I would be happy to help with, will check this thread tomorrow morning!

Thanks Mark for that intro! Yep, I purchased my AT Pro in March of 2017, love that detector. Have found approx 1200 Silver Coins, 6000+ Wheat cents, and all sorts of goodies with that detector. Here in Montana we do get Silver Dollars and I have 7 of those (6 Peace 1 Morgan), also tokens, Indian Head Cents, Seated coins, Silver and Gold rings, Jewelry and more. You can check my posts on the Friendly Forum for the last 5 years to see how well the AT Pro can do.

It is a very simple and easy detector to operate. I run mine very much like many of the posts above... Pro Zero mode, nothing Notched or Discriminated out, and Full Sensitivity. I want to hear every signal and use my single brain cell as the source for deciding what to dig and what not to dig. The detector will remember those settings when turned on, just ground balance over clean soil (takes about 5 seconds) and get hunting.

The audio is 3 tones, with iron, nails, rebar, property stakes etc low tones, mid tones are foil, pull tabs, smaller can slaw, nickels, and gold. The tone break between mid and high tone happens right at Indian Head Cents, tokens, and sometimes crusty Zinc Cents. Smooth high tones mean at least a Wheat Cent, Copper Cent or clad or silver. The audio is Proportional (hence the AT Pro - the "Pro" being short for Proportional.) Sharp short tone for shallow or surface targets, and faint but smooth tones for deep targets.

The digital VDI readout is super accurate. I often have my friends who all use the Nox 800 ask me to scan their target to help with their ID. The pinpointing using the standard Elliptical coil is outstanding. My turf plugs are small and accurate. I have found good coins with an iron nail or other contamination in the hole, so I know my machine has some ability to unmask coins in that scenario.

I've said this a few times.. where I live... with moderate mineralized soil, semi arid climate with not a ton of rain or organic matter buildup, the AT Pro keeps pace with the Equinox and I find an equal amount of good targets, sometimes more with my machine. I do have several thousand hours on my detector so I do have that advantage of really understanding my machine.

The only limitation I have is that the AT Pro (along with about every other single frequency detector) will perform poorly in a salt water detecting environment (other than the dry sand). Not a problem in Montana! :lol: Any other questions I would be happy to help with, will check this thread tomorrow morning!

That's exactly what i would of said if i was a better writer

LovestheShiny nailed it.
FWIW, I run discrimination up to 40 to eliminate iron.
PRO Zero mode, one notch below max sensitivity.

One thing I noticed when I bought my second machine last year, I no longer need to ground balance it, I never have even once.
I'm not sure why ( I always did this with my first AT PRO-maybe they changed the programming??)

Shiny, which coil do you use on your At Pro the most?

The AT Pro was my go-to detector for many years. I got old and the Deus took its place. Would never hesitate to buy another AT Pro. Fantastic tot lot detector.

Shiny, gave me advice when I put a Garrett Viper Coil on my AT Pro, he thought I needed to ( reset ) detector with a new coil, I followed his advice, and believe I will be happier with it when the snow leaves ! :chaplin::sunny::kingdances:
too_

Pro zero mode, full sensitivity ,ground balance and go. . I can't say enough good about the at pro, it's the reason the rest of these companies got off their asses and started reworking they're old tired tech.lol

I have never used the pro mode, my relative, said to use the standard coin mode, so I should work on that and understand it. He has an AT Pro also, so when the "white stuff goes " I have alot to work on !, thanks all for great advice.:digginahole::digginahole::digginahole::heartylaugh::frustrated:
too_

I have never used the pro mode, my relative, said to use the standard coin mode, so I should work on that and understand it. He has an AT Pro also, so when the "white stuff goes " I have alot to work on !, thanks all for great advice.:digginahole::digginahole::digginahole::heartylaugh::frustrated:
too_

Try not to disc out anything,my problem with the coin mode is there's all kinds of gold rings that would be notched out right in that pulltab range and learn pro mode one of the benefits of pro mode is when you go over a light iron target you will hear a iron grunt and keep moving but std mode or most other vlfs for that matter as you pull off an iron target you hear iron then as you pass over you might hear a quick blip of high tone just enough to make you stop and reswing

Back
Top Bottom