U.S. Treasury Sieze Family's Rare Gold Double Eagles

damn man I would be pissed!!! I would have never tried to grade them! They wouldn't be going through this problem!

I believe there is only one authorized double eagle of its kind. It was originally presented to King Farouk of Egypt. All other double eagles of that mintage were supposed to have been melted down and were never monetized by the mint.

Well, if their relative stole it then they should have to give it back. If not then they should be able to keep it.

Well, if their relative stole it then they should have to give it back. If not then they should be able to keep it.

They don't know that the coins were stolen. The guy was a licensed dealer, and at the time, he was permitted to trade bullion for coins from the treasury.

They don't know that the coins were stolen. The guy was a licensed dealer, and at the time, he was permitted to trade bullion for coins from the treasury.

Makes no difference. The coins were never monetized when the order to melt them was issued. As a result all double eagles of that mint year (except one) were destroyed.

Or looked at another way, it is the mint's gold as the coins were never issued as money. Therefore they are stolen government property. Wether the family knows it or not, stolen property, when found, is always returned to the legal owner.

Rudy is right - the coins had to have been illegally taken from the mint. The family shouldn't profit from theft.

Makes no difference. The coins were never monetized when the order to melt them was issued. As a result all double eagles of that mint year (except one) were destroyed.

Or looked at another way, it is the mint's gold as the coins were never issued as money. Therefore they are stolen government property. Wether the family knows it or not, stolen property, when found, is always returned to the legal owner.

Exactly. Same as if a thief stole your HD TV, and sold it to someone else. The unsuspecting victim would still have to return it whether they knew about the theft or not.

Back
Top Bottom