Turned in the silver ring I found jogging

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
And what a PITA :madmad:

I had to wait 30 friggen minutes before the officer took my info for the 'found property' report. He mentioned very few people would do this. Well, yeah if you make them wait 30 minutes while trying to do a good deed. Geesh!

BTW, usually I wouldn't turn in a silver ring but it was an 'engagement pattern' so I figured it may mean something to the person who lost it.

Either that or they tossed it because it was too cheap of an engagement ring :D

Nice to try and locate the owner. Kudos on that! I think it is 30 or 60 days if it is unclaimed you have full rights to it?

I think it is 30 or 60 days if it is unclaimed you have full rights to it?
I asked that question for the two rings I have turned in the last month. Neither officer knew the answer! Actually they would give it back to me, they just didn't know how long they are supposed to hold it. I guess I'm the only one filing lost property reports :lol:

Being an excop, I am surprised the officer didn't know. It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but in our city it was 90 days. It was up to the finder to claim it after the time period and it took a judge to return it to the finder. A lot of silly red tape to return a $19.00 silver ring. But that was the process. Cops don't make the laws thankfully. Now what most people didn't know is that you don't have to turn it in. Just report it. Most peopel just made a report and hung on to the item until the 90 days were up. The report was only necessary to compare it with any known stolen property. If it came up on the "hot" list then you had to turn it in of course. Monty

Being an excop, I am surprised the officer didn't know. It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but in our city it was 90 days. It was up to the finder to claim it after the time period and it took a judge to return it to the finder. A lot of silly red tape to return a $19.00 silver ring. But that was the process. Cops don't make the laws thankfully. Now what most people didn't know is that you don't have to turn it in. Just report it. Most people just made a report and hung on to the item until the 90 days were up. The report was only necessary to compare it with any known stolen property. If it came up on the "hot" list then you had to turn it in of course. Monty
Interesting on the "people holding it" angle. What happens if someone makes a claim and then the person who is supposed to hold it for 90 days simply claims they lost it?

Being a in a smaller burb - I rather have the police hold it. Not sure what I would do if I found something of value while on vacation. I guess report it and hold onto it.

Well, I figure if you were dishonest and the law required you to turn it in you wouldn't do it in the first place. So it wouldn't matter if you "lost" it. Some people put an ad in the local free press and the loser has to be able to describe it in detail. A lot of dishonest people will try to claim it but they can't describe it. I only did it once and got about 4 calls. I asked one guy if it has a big initial B carved on it and he said yes, that's it. It didn't have a B, dirty crook! Never did find anyone who could describe it and I still have it. If you want to turn it in fine, do it, just telling you how it is here.

good gesture. hopefully if this person claims it, they will atleast thank you somehow.

Back
Top Bottom