First Class Ring UPDATE(returned to owner)

Steve77

Elite Member
Well My four year old is just learning to ride her "two wheel bike". Earlier today I took her to the nearby high school to giver her a few more pointers. She figured it out!

Well about half an hour before dark she started hounding me to go back to the high school to ride her bike some more, well I caved because she's my sweetheart, and...I noticed when I was there earlier that they had torn up a section of lawn next to the parking lot. ;) Tearouts are probably my favorite hunting grounds, you can dig some beautiful spots without worrying about the lawn.

Anyhow, it got dark fast, I only found bits of foil, pulltabs and a bit of clad. It was getting chilly, and I told my daughter it was time to go home. She said "no dad, you dig some more good things first." Shes used to asking when we can go home and my response is "when I dig one more good thing!". Well I hit a couple more pennies and my wife pulled into the parking lot and said "it's past bedtime" I told her to watch her daughters improved riding skills and went back to swinging. I figured I could sneak one more target. I got over something that sounded barely good enough to dig, dug it up and it was a 1993 mens class ring! It was way dark, even with my led light i couldn't read the hallmarks, but I could read the name. I recognized the last name, so I knew it didn't matter what it was made of it was going back to it's owner.

Got it home and still cant read the hall marks, but I don't think it's gold:no:bummer. Hallmark is two diamonds side by side with what may be a script letter 'J' in each one, followed by a circled 'C'. sorry my camera doesn't handle macro very well so the pictures are basic.

Congrats on your first class ring!!

The "J" could stand for Jostens..(the maker)

<*)))>{

My first and only class ring find wasn't gold. I was able to find the owner and she was very happy to get it back.

I found the owner John's parents with a little asking around town. They were ecstatic! They called John on the phone, and I was able to be the first to tell him the news. He was surprised and amazed. He described the place he lost it, and asked if that was where I found, which of course was right where I had dug it.
Both he and his parents offered to pay me for the find, obviously I declined. However, I said "if you want to return the favor, Would you mind me detecting your front yard?" Well, he told me I could detect the front yard, the back yard, the side yard and the alley!

I got started right away, and found some clad, some junk, and a 1949 wheat penny. I only had about 45 minutes but before I left he got permission for me to detect 2 more yards nearby! This section of town dates back to at least the 1880s, and is accross from the old train depot and the feed mill!:mder:

Both he and his parents offered to pay me for the find, obviously I declined. However, I said "if you want to return the favor, Would you mind me detecting your front yard?" Well, he told me I could detect the front yard, the back yard, the side yard and the alley!

I got started right away, and found some clad, some junk, and a 1949 wheat penny. I only had about 45 minutes but before I left he got permission for me to detect 2 more yards nearby! This section of town dates back to at least the 1880s, and is accross from the old train depot and the feed mill!:mder:

This is what this hobby is all about- everyone in this situation was a winner.

Well done!:grin:

I love to hear good news! Great job in returning the ring and using the feel good currency to open up new sites, great lesson for us. GL HH.

I found the owner John's parents with a little asking around town. They were ecstatic! They called John on the phone, and I was able to be the first to tell him the news. He was surprised and amazed. He described the place he lost it, and asked if that was where I found, which of course was right where I had dug it.

That is better than reward money!! Gl and HH

We just got a bit of rain last night and today, hopefully I can get some swing time, in the next few days and hit the best parts of the properties.

Back
Top Bottom