job offer

45 short

Well while out detecting i was approached by a mail man and was asked if if i was for hire.
He explained his dad had lost his aviation ring in the farm pond several years ago. So i said for something like that i wont charge. The hunt sounds challenging and i love helping out people when asked. Well i have a question for you guys. Im going to use the e trac. What settings would work best in this case? cause im sure the pond will have standing water.

You wont charge?? Well you better at least be allowed to hunt the property after finding the ring and be able to keep what you find!

job

Thats what i was thinking. This is my first offer so dont have a clue what something like that would be worth

Thats what i was thinking. This is my first offer so dont have a clue what something like that would be worth

I would have left it open for him to offer a reward if finding it, or what I said above. Cant do everything for free. :D

job

yea i hear yea but the dad is probably in his 70's or 80's the son was in his 50's.
Ill ask as a reward to hunt the property and keep the findings. call it my good deed for the month lol.

I've given out my name & phone number a few times to people that need to find property markers, etc that I've run into while metal detecting

...no one has ever called lol

a farm pond is going to be deep - an E trac isn't waterproof is it?

i don't think i would take my etrac into any farm pond, your good deed could cost ya 1200 bucks if ya fall in :shock:

I was thinking the same thing, plus the last line of the OP said the farm pond might have standing water in it. My first thought was if there was no standing water it would be the farm, not the farm pond.

job

Good points about falling in. Ill have to see what it looks like before i go swimming. I also have a T2 and i can get a at pro if needed.

Mailmen can have some good knowledge.Probably worth a look and see if it is too risky.Could be a simple find.Then the mailman might know of some other places you can hunt.

Water and electronics don't mix well. Really don't know, until you take a look though, pond is rather loosely used word. May only be a pond during the wet season, like a run off/retaining pond, to ease flooding in an adjacent area. Could be a large mud puddle. Doesn't hurt to have a look, could even bag the box, just in case you take a spill. Won't be waterproof, but more resistant to a splash or brief dunk. If it does get wet, pop the batteries out quickly, and make sure it's all dry before powering up again.

Wouldn't turn down an invitation, never know what else you are going to find, before finding the ring. Farming is hard work, usually long days. Not really much time for search for lost items. Should be fun, a chance to find some cool stuff, make an old man happy... Up to you to decide if it's an acceptable risk. Success usually brings great rewards, better than an agreed upon price. Gratitude can be a powerful thing.

Or, he could gather good karma...and do something nice for someone...recover an heirloom of their father's :)

For him yes but for me, ummm no. I have helped a lot of people for free but I think I should get something in return for going out of my way to help someone now.

Water and electronics don't mix well. Really don't know, until you take a look though, pond is rather loosely used word. May only be a pond during the wet season, like a run off/retaining pond, to ease flooding in an adjacent area. Could be a large mud puddle. Doesn't hurt to have a look, could even bag the box, just in case you take a spill. Won't be waterproof, but more resistant to a splash or brief dunk. If it does get wet, pop the batteries out quickly, and make sure it's all dry before powering up again.

Wouldn't turn down an invitation, never know what else you are going to find, before finding the ring. Farming is hard work, usually long days. Not really much time for search for lost items. Should be fun, a chance to find some cool stuff, make an old man happy... Up to you to decide if it's an acceptable risk. Success usually brings great rewards, better than an agreed upon price. Gratitude can be a powerful thing.

Farm ponds can be rewarding. I haven't tried M.D. one, but I have dredged one, with a Keene gold dredge and found some nice stuff. If you can wade it with out sinking up to your knees, you might get away with M.D. it, but not with a 1200 dollar "dry detector".:no:
Good luck.

Id do it for free as long as I can hunt the rest of the land. Ill help ya if needed, I have a ctx and lots of relatives in Springfield. I can stay with them for a weekend.

update

Well after talking more with the guy come to find out they sold the property go figure but he still offered a finder reward. I guess he explained the situation to the new owners and they don't mind us hunting the pond. Heading over on Saturday to see what it looks like

Be careful. Its my experience living in the country until I was 17 and swimming in many ponds that even "dried" up farm ponds retain a lot of moisure under the 2-3 inches of dry top and you can easily sink up to your waist in the wet mud. Super easy to lose your footing also (as well as footgear).

Just a couple things to think about. With water in it, it will be worse, very muddy, no visibility, wet slick mud. ick.

well that attitude sucks

My attitude doesn't suck buddy, I helped to many people with not even a Thank You before soo why should I go out of My way to travel, waist gas to find something that MIGHT NOT get found for free???? Sorry but I don't work for free! If hes willing to pay why not take it! The TITLE does say JOB OFFER!

Back
Top Bottom