Ring dilemma...*UPDATE*

Don't post it on cragislist, people will drive you insane saying it belongs to them.
If you decide to research and return do not expect much, maybe not even a thank you...

:laughing: Gotta Love it! When a person takes up this Sport, sooner or later, a person will wrestle with this subject...Lots of cool and uncool posts about 'return' attempts....

Each Return Attempt is an experience in your Life you will have never gotten otherwise...Some are worth the effort, some are not, some are very depressing, some are Lifechangers, some are break evens, some are loss leaders and a depressing kick to the pills...

Ya just never know! No Right or Wrong here, no Moral Highroad to rigidly ascribe to....Roll with it on a case by case basis..

So, Now, after the experiences and moral/mental wrestling events...

What I do is, I dwell on it a little...Let my heart and the find speak to me a little bit for a week or more before I take any further action...Hey...I have it in hand, the 'loser' is no more out than they were a week ago, so I have a clear mind to make the 'right decision' in my corner and what happens is only up to only ME...

Yeah..Its all about ME at this point...I bought this gear, put in the time, learned this skill, got up early, burned gas, and 'accidentally' found this lost item...At this point, I am not under any obligation to 'do the right thing' to nobody but myself, and when it comes to this, I am my own worst enemy...:laughing:

I do like an appreciative 'Lost Item' recipient...one who respects my effort/skills and recompenses accordingly...or at least may 'pay it forward' to some poor but deserving b'tard....

I'ma gonna need some mercy someday from a Stranger! Doubt I will get it, never seems to happen to me...but I sure have given it and am well deserving...'Karma' is wasted on smelly hitchhiker Hippys, so no help to me there....In the end of the matter, for a Free Ranger in a World all alone...

I Probably shoulda just kept the gold and called it quits! ..still..a guy has some intrigue and compassion to figure out a find...just for curiosities sake if nothing else..might make a major difference in somebodies Life.....Ya just never know what the next ping will be....

A nice dirty Q is a better find than a moral wrestling event!..I hate to take on myself! Even though I know my weaknesses, I'm up against a crazy no account who doesnt ascribe to the Marquesse de Queensbury rules! That can take a baseball bat straight to the noggin! Has a left hook!...I generally run away from myself if I can...Ah, the joy in finding peaceful little parking lot pennies..:laughing:

Melt it!

Who's that funny looking guy photobombing all those good looking people?

Well, it all depends. I would try to return to owner if possible. Otherwise keep it for your collection.

Reread my first post. Do what you feel is right and don't look back.

Yeah, it makes an awesome trophy.
But has little melt value. I don't even think twice about any ring without identifying marks, but this one was nagging at me.
I'm hoping he coughs up a little reward I can use towards a Nox.
If not, it's just me paying it forward after someone hunted me down on FB after losing my wallet before I even realized it was gone.
Thanks for the advice.

Don't post it on cragislist, people will drive you insane saying it belongs to them.
If you decide to research and return do not expect much, maybe not even a thank you...
I just posted it was a ring and what area it was found. They have to respond knowing the description.

Yeah, it makes an awesome trophy.
But has little melt value. I don't even think twice about any ring without identifying marks, but this one was nagging at me.
I'm hoping he coughs up a little reward I can use towards a Nox.
If not, it's just me paying it forward after someone hunted me down on FB after losing my wallet before I even realized it was gone.
Thanks for the advice.

Get your post count up and join the contest for a Nox. Everything you need in one small package. As long as it isn't won tonight!

I hear your struggle. The initials in the ring would get me; thinking the reason the initials are there is just this type of scenario; with the owner hoping for a return if lost. On the other hand, obviously, a gold ring is cash, Baby! If you are in desperate need of money, don't feel bad about selling it quick. Saving up for a 'nox doesn't sound desperate.

Another thought is your expense in returning it. If the owner has any cough about covering your gas for ten bucks or something, then they don't really deserve the return, do they?...unless they are in dire straits at the time...up to you. GL

I guess i had better start walking. I found a 10k ring, a HS class ring from a local High School, two keys and two tags on a chain as my first target at the beach this morning Was able to locate the owner thru facebook and i am returning his merchandise in the morning.

At least the water is not real cold.

More booty

All you ring returnees should walk the plank!!:pirate::pirates:

The ring was probably worth less than $10 melt.
I bought 2, 1 oz silver bars with the reward money.

Every good pirate knows how to PARLAY!

Attachments

• 20180513_000152.jpg
    20180513_000152.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 620
  • FB_IMG_1526195206920.jpg
    FB_IMG_1526195206920.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
I find and return stuff all the time.

Found a large gold leaf ear ring in a woman's bra one time. 20 people searching for a hour and I decided to get a reading on her other ear ring lol.

I had the same problem with a class ring. I looked on facebook, but no deal. You could try classmates and see if you can find someone in the year book?

Found a large gold leaf ear ring in a woman's bra one time. 20 people searching for a hour and I decided to get a reading on her other ear ring lol.

I had the same problem with a class ring. I looked on facebook, but no deal. You could try classmates and see if you can find someone in the year book?

Ok you'll have to elaborate....was she wearing the bra? Did you scan her? Lol

I tried all kinds of websites for lost rings, classmates, yearbooks.
What worked was looking up the class on facebook and contacting a classmate. She then got on a group page and they all concluded who it was and sent him a message.
Sure enough it was him. His story was airtight.

Attachments

• 2018-05-13 03.10.31.jpg
    2018-05-13 03.10.31.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 572
  • FB_IMG_1526205402562-1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1526205402562-1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 569
Bingo. Congrats on a return.

People think that returning rings is a stupid idea. I have received a 500.00 reward and a 350.00 reward for gold rings. WAY over the price of what they were worth.

I got a 100.00 reward for a silver ID bracelet. His parents gave it to him on his 16th birthday in 1944. No way could I have scrapped it for that much.

I have other stories some bad BUT the good outweighs the bad in my book.

Returning things has also gotten me into places nobody can get into. I have been in private lakes, one was to find keys which I did and they let me play, and I found a 2 grand platinum ring I could keep.

Everyone do what you desire. No right or wrong here. I will keep putting my money in the bank.

So you folks that melt everything be my guest. However, I bet I have a lot more money from what I do than you will have melting them.

Awesome job on the return. I'm hoping someday I have the chance to do that same for someone and they are greatful as well. Hear great and horror stories regarding them but you got a winner. Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom