A nice greenie...from my own hunted to death front lawn, yet!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
About the middle of september I started hunting with the F5 hoping for a more stable heater that can get fairly deep here in my mineralized iron infested mess.
Got the Nel Sharpshooter coil too because it seems to work so well here on the F70.
I used the F5 and that coil for about a month on several hunts, I was impressed.
More stable and less jumpy than my F70 in this dirt, unmasks as well if not better than my F70 or the Nox with an expanded target range I enjoy more than using the Minelab.
All that was great, it was what I was hoping for but didn't actually think I could get but it was the depth that surprised me the most, especially with that sniper coil.
Just about as deep if not deeper as anything I have used here so far with accurate depth readings to boot and with very decent and pretty darn normal readings which my F70 rarely can do...even my Nox can get skittish here as targets get deeper.
I can get fairly deep with the F70 but not with normal behavior, I had to learn a whole new language with that one to do it and the behavior patterns I use to notice just about anything around here past 4" or so is nothing most of you would recognize.

For the last month I have been switching around coils on this thing just to see what they would do.
I tried the tiny concentric sniper that came in the package along with the 10" elliptical concentric too.
I threw on my 11" Fisher DD coil off my F70 and my 5" DD and they had a whirl.
Yesterday I mounted a large Cors Cannon coil also designed to fit the F70.
The last three coils were a crapshoot, the F5 is 7.8 kHz and the F70 is 13.5 so I wasn't expecting much but had to try them just for my piece of mind.
The two F5 concentrics were alright but unlike in the great dirt in Kansas the depth here was not great.
The two big Fisher coils were fairly worthless to me on the F5, not really deep and some other odd behavior I wasn't thrilled with but again, mismatched frequency.
The round 5" DD Fisher coil worked the best out of that whole pack, if I had no other good coil to use I would be going with that one so a good backup but the Nel still outperformed all of them by leaps and bounds so that is going to be my coil going forward.
Today I mounted the Nel after not using it for a month, it was like going home again.
It did its job well while hunting a neighbor's lawn I am in the process of cleaning up and is starting to dry up on me, found coins I missed and several were masked like ninjas so that was great.
When I was done with that lawn for today I walked across the street back home and just for giggles hit my own lawn one more time.
I have hunted this tiny space literally more than a hundred times using every detector I own, every coil that fits in them and used so many different settings just to see if I can find one more good target which by now almost wishful thinking...there just ain't that much left to find.
But out of the blue I actually got one.
It sounded far away, that great F5 modulation, I wasn't exactly going slow because I was just heading for my porch thinking I would not find a thing and I was done for the day but a high tone jumped out at me.
A bit short, a bit squeaky but it stayed in the higher numbers in a small range from more than one direction, I disturbed the dirt a bit to see if it was some iron disguised as a wraparound high tone signal but it was still there and I just had to see what this was.
The depth reading says 6", the deepest target I have seen for a few weeks.
I dug down and from at least 6", and I swear I measured it at about 7", a small green coin pops up.
I was shocked.
Around here that 7" is more like 10" or even more in good dirt with a detector that can even get that far, and I can only think of one other coin sized target I have ever dug around here that was that deep with such normal, stable, recognizable behavior and that was with the F70 in a small patch of very rare great black fill dirt.
That is hunting here since we moved back from Kansas in 2015, and I have hunted in a lot of different places since then in many parks and other sites both near and not so near to my home.
Needless to say I am thrilled to death.
That F5 was $299, the Nel coil cost me $110 and it was all just a hopeful experiment but this setup seems to be performing as good if not better than anything else I have used here so far.
I am gobsmacked...and giddy with excitement just thinking of what else we can possibly accomplish!ish together in both my old and some newer sites.

It's just a worn 1920's wheat cent but what it represents is huge.
This is a really big deal...to me.

Plus, who doesn't just love to death the green ones?

Attachments

• photostudio_1604095395787.jpg
    photostudio_1604095395787.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 322
Wow congrats on putting that combination together, and getting such great results.

And that green wheatie is sublime.

This proves no yard is really hunted out. :yes:

Never believed that anytime as long as I have been hunting, even here in my tiny little lawn, but things have really thinned out in this small piece of grass after hunting it for several years.
The last time I actually went looking here and found something good I used the Nox but that hunt was different.
I went super and painfully slow, just crawled around areas and found lots of iron but got a few odd signals that were not normal by far and examined each from several different directions before I dug them and none had anywhere near normal behavior or indicators at any time except maybe a shallow nickel but even that was a bit iffy and I had missed it so many times before.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=284876

All the targets I found on that hunt were badly masked but fairly shallow, 2-5", common for most of the deeper targets we dig around here by myself and many others I have hunted with using all kinds of detectors, my F2 and F70, an F75, a couple of Whites, an E Trac, two AT Pros, a Max, some Tesoros and a Deus.
The Nox can get a little deeper and often with better behavior but still the common deepest depth we find things in this rotten soil is usually at or around that 5" mark.

The headline here is on this coin at this depth walking over it at a very fast pace, probably too fast as the F5 likes a little slower swing speed, I hit this thing with a short but good high signal that had pretty stable higher numbers and a high tone that stopped me in my tracks.
Like really normal behavior that I haven't seen since I was hunting back in almost perfect Kansas and Missouri dirt.
That just doesn't happen often in my area in this mineralized, iron infested soil with any detector...or at least it doesn't ever happen for me after hunting in my strange dirt for many thousands of hours.
Nothing I used here ever saw this thing or gave me a clue or a hint it was there including the F70 and my Nox, and I guarantee you I ran a coil over this exact spot before with many of my tools.

It was pretty remarkable and for me, shocking.
A good shock, I had no idea any tool could do that here like this on a coin sized target that deep.
Back out west in great soil sure, but here, no way.

I have hunted many sites over and over with more than one detector and many coils and different settings and I have found targets with one that I had missed with others so not that unusual.
Even my low end Compadre and Mojave found targets my higher end detectors missed and vice versa so I don't have all that many biases when it comes to the ability of one over another and a big reason I happily and confidently hunt with a few different ones and I have enjoyed doing that almost since I started in this hobby and definitely since the day I got a second detector.
Too many things come into play, soil conditions, swing speed, the direction you come at targets from, trash or iron in the vicinity and more, so when someone touts one tool over another to be far superior to everything else in all sites under all conditions all the time I just don't believe it.

This signal on this coin at this depth, however, was different and special.
I just hope it has the same ability to do the same thing at other times in the future at other sites.
We will see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom