• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Class ring and return Update

StratTone

Elite Member
So I finally found my first class ring and it had initials in it. I've always planned to try and do a return if I found one with initials and being honest that is easier said than done when you have $250 worth of gold and it being the biggest gold you've found to date. But after finding the guy and having a talk with him yesterday evening I have to admit it is totally worth it. Just hearing his appreciation for it and him telling me he is glad he can not only pass down the ring to his kids (he is 72) but also pass down the story of how it came back to him was well worth more than $250.

I was detecting a place where old off base housing used to be and dug up this 10k '66 class ring that had the high school mascot as the senators on it. With the initials CEP. Eventually I found a Dover High school Senators with a guy named on a class reunion page as not attending named Clifford Polite. Of to facebook I went and there he was a Clifford Polite holding a whisky sitting at the bar. Listed as retired Air Force. I looked up his location and typed his name and it showed a Clifford Edward Polite living at the location he listed. I knew I had the guy. I wrote him not wanting to give away the surprise but it took some time for him to see the message or the idea to reply. After we chatted some on Facebook (I'm sure I sounded like a scam guy) he reluctantly called me last night. When I answered I thanked him for calling and said "So I'm into metal detecting and...…….." He cut me off and says "You found my ring!". lol

Yes sir I did and it will be coming back to you. Turns out he lost it playing with his dog in the back yard of the off base housing and combed the backyard with no luck. The next day he even borrowed a metal detector (back in the 70s) to try and find it and still came up short. This was actually his second class ring. He lost the original in the ocean and had it replaced with the one I found just before the cut off time where they couldn't make it anymore so he thought it was lost forever.

Best part of the conversation was him saying he was glad to not only have the ring back to pass down to his kids but also pass down the story.

Attachments

• NnAckkw.jpg
    NnAckkw.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 652
  • jo7iZPK.jpg
    jo7iZPK.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 624
  • goWsdxJ.jpg
    goWsdxJ.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
So I finally found my first class ring and it had initials in it. I've always planned to try and do a return....

Well done! You get to be the hero of that story for years to come. If he had the original replaced years ago it obviously meant a lot to him!

May the next gold ring be hefty and free of initials!

Wow that’s a chunk of a ring, way to go on the return, glad it was appreciated!

Me too! Some of the bad stories on here had me second guessing the effort to return it. What it came down to was knowing the guy had to be older when he lost it and to be wearing your high school class ring still it had to have meaning to him. Then when I saw a picture of him on his facebook sitting at the bar with a whisky on ice I was like "oh yeah this dude is getting his ring back!". lol

Luv those reunion Sherlock-Holmes mystery solved stories. And yes, sometimes you can't put a price on Human relations stories like these. Good show !

Very cool story. Good on you. The older the person, the cooler it seems to me. That being said, I admit, I wouldn't mind finding the ring of a young babe who was super-enthusiastic for my efforts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Very cool story. Good on you. The older the person, the cooler it seems to me. That being said, I admit, I wouldn't mind finding the ring of a young babe who was super-enthusiastic for my efforts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

:laughing: Ok that had me laughing for real!

Great find and return. It is a good felling just to see there face. When they spot the ring after commimg up lost. I have had the luck of 3 returns. Yes what a great felling.

Got a super cool letter from the owner of the ring. Have a look.

Attachments

• EC089D9D-0E1E-41AD-ADB1-3970A625F061.jpg
    EC089D9D-0E1E-41AD-ADB1-3970A625F061.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 448
Whenever the subject of "should we track-down owners of H.S. rings ?" comes up: You can't say anything more than a conclusion like this. I'm not faulting those who don't follow through with the reunion/story attempts. But .... just sayin' ...

Back
Top Bottom