• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Platinum ring, lost 10 years ago. Tips??

OneStudPuppy

Forum Supporter
So I scored two new permissions today, neighbors so walk on over when I want to swing can’t beat that. One of my neighbors told me about 10 years ago he lost a ring somewhere on his property, he thinks by the driveway but admits to being hammered at the time. It’s a platinum ring, anyone got tips to increase efficiency or settings? (Equinox 800) I just got my 6 inch coil in today so I have on hand the 11 inch and the 6 inch.

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Good luck with that...I would start where he "thinks" he lost it, but don't get discouraged since it's likely nowhere near there. If you have access to a similar ring, scan it and lock in that number, and maybe 5 above and below it and dig any signal in that range (Im guessing between 10 and 20 would do, but I don't think I have any platinum here to test...the wife has only gold jewelry I believe).

I'd use park 1 probably, and use the 11 inch coil, unless it's REALLY trashy. Go slowly and take your time and grid the area out, hitting it from all directions if you can.

I hope you find it...that would be awesome.

Good luck with that...I would start where he "thinks" he lost it, but don't get discouraged since it's likely nowhere near there. If you have access to a similar ring, scan it and lock in that number, and maybe 5 above and below it and dig any signal in that range (Im guessing between 10 and 20 would do, but I don't think I have any platinum here to test...the wife has only gold jewelry I believe).

I'd use park 1 probably, and use the 11 inch coil, unless it's REALLY trashy. Go slowly and take your time and grid the area out, hitting it from all directions if you can.

I hope you find it...that would be awesome.
Indeed, as of now seems quite trashed area lol. I’ve found wire bits, connectors, tools lol! Shall see what else. I may still switch over to the 11 inch. Found part of it has some chopped off thorny bush parts. Might have to hover that part, want to keep coil puncture free

Is it an area that saw a lawn mower for the last 10 years? Was the driveway ever paved over or reworked in 10 years? Is the soil sandy or hard packed like clay?

Is it an area that saw a lawn mower for the last 10 years? Was the driveway ever paved over or reworked in 10 years? Is the soil sandy or hard packed like clay?

Believed to be left on a wall junction. About waist height on a 6 foot guy.
Quite harder soil, area not worked really, more left to grow wildish.
Today he mentioned the gardener who he discovered would show up hang out In The shade drink some beers and bail without doing anything except bill him. And it was about same time while ring was there where he left it then gone.. so it’s a possible goner.
He is going to clean up some of the thorny bushes and all which will give me access to detect without the friggin thorns getting me or coil cable (bougainvillea).
I got around and checked a few possibles which would have been up against a brick wall with maybe a few rebar in it every few bricks, but nothing other than over grown yard tools and one spot I kept getting a signal and tried to pinpoint but I think I was catching a rebar on that one.

Not ready to give up on it but I did some other signals too, so far all modern clad
And some 70s style beaver tail pulltabs.

Last edited:
I would just dig every solid repeatable signal in the area. If it was lost a decade ago, it shouldn't be all that deep. Let's hope he wasnt too hammered to remember the correct spot he dropped it though :laughing: good luck and keep us posted!

Ok. As of now it’s not looking great.
Hell of it is today he said if I find it he will give me 500 bucks.
Money isn’t the motivation but that would be awesome.
Kicker is he still thinks the Gardner might have snagged it.
As of now Ive cleared the planter pretty well of repetitive signals.
Main ones left are the walls I think some rebar or ??
Also thorny bushes.. but working where I can and still nope.

Attachments

• F02FFC61-573F-4F1F-BCF4-2668E97B71B7.jpg
    F02FFC61-573F-4F1F-BCF4-2668E97B71B7.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,668
  • 12AE2724-4003-45E5-9C97-EDE646F9E376.jpg
    12AE2724-4003-45E5-9C97-EDE646F9E376.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 1,664
  • 56B8F242-8BD1-4F4C-A3E6-D2CCE29D8758.jpg
    56B8F242-8BD1-4F4C-A3E6-D2CCE29D8758.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,561
You will

probably find it within 15 minutes , sure he will want the ring , its up to you to set the reward, or just do a nice neighbor a favor , depend's :lol: Atleast get dinner out of it for two :yes:;)

Have you considered using just a pinpointer? It might be worth a shot, although it would take awhile. Looking at that wall it may have fallen into one of the cracks....but it seems more likely the gardener took it, based upon what you've said so far.

probably find it within 15 minutes , sure he will want the ring , its up to you to set the reward, or just do a nice neighbor a favor , depend's :lol: Atleast get dinner out of it for two :yes:;)

Hunted pretty hard.. haven’t given up yet but those bushes are blocking some areas way to many thorns.. was doing it as a good neighbor lol.
He mentioned the reward later on lol

Have you considered using just a pinpointer? It might be worth a shot, although it would take awhile. Looking at that wall it may have fallen into one of the cracks....but it seems more likely the gardener took it, based upon what you've said so far.
Tried this the other day actually. Went max sensitivity and ran it all over.
And yea thinking he might be right about the gardener.

Ok

Dig you try this tape or wire tie a pointer to a wooden broom handle to get in between the bushes , ring -probably 1 -4 inches down , max , strenth on the pointer , land hunting I could use a pointer next to steps , and find coins 2- 3 inches down , it works , otherwise use a hockey puck coil like a 5 inch F75 coil , which I used to clean up side walk strip's & school yards .

Dig you try this tape or wire tie a pointer to a wooden broom handle to get in between the bushes , ring -probably 1 -4 inches down , max , strenth on the pointer , land hunting I could use a pointer next to steps , and find coins 2- 3 inches down , it works , otherwise use a hockey puck coil like a 5 inch F75 coil , which I used to clean up side walk strip's & school yards .

That’s not a bad idea, carrot won’t care about thorns (if I tape over the button)
Will have to try this..

Found

My sisters friends high school ring with a coin master , she had lost it 5 years prior, it was 4 inches down , figure 3/4 of an inch a year depending on rain & ground , it's probably 1 1/2 to 2 inches down if he lost it 2 years ago, easy target for the carott .

My sisters friends high school ring with a coin master , she had lost it 5 years prior, it was 4 inches down , figure 3/4 of an inch a year depending on rain & ground , it's probably 1 1/2 to 2 inches down if he lost it 2 years ago, easy target for the carott .
Interesting, good to know a rough per year drop. Sadly this one we’re looking at 10 years. Hard soil though. Neighbors backyard today I found a 1944 wheatie *edited* now that I think about it two of em from original owners maybe 2 to 3 inches down. But love the info you shared for per year drops.
With this hard soil though a carrot is probably still a viable thing to try for sure..

go to pawn shop test a plat ring.. here's why...

i was asked to find a wedding ring for a friend of a friend. then he tells me its tungsten.. setting my Whites MXT down i was using, to put my headphones on, and there it was on top of ground. BUT ... then his wife comes out curious about how machines work. no clue mind you. she puts down, an ANTIQUE PLATINUM ring from her Grandmother. its stamped, was bought reputable place in the day, been cleaned and etc... to look nice, real old time high quality platinum ring. THE DANG THING REGISTERED "6" on my MXT. 6... that comes up FOIL. i re-tuned rechecked etc... the tungsten registered in the 30's. 6.... sooo000 you may be looking for a foil range target. now her ring was filigree type with a sizable stone mounted up high, beautiful intricate with plenty of metal.

it may register as trash.

With nothing more than an iffy location AND no relatively narrowed VDI for the metal...I would only give it a short time effort and hope to get lucky. It is the proverbial needle in a haystack at present. I believe that the VDI will be way different than what most rings give. Iv'e never found a platinum "anything" though, on purpose or by accident.

Back
Top Bottom