Rimfire rifle shooters— heads up

Only if it's all that's available.

Available? I totally agree, and I would grab a steak knife if needed. It just seems stupid to worry about not having a thousands rounds of 22 rim fires.

Buy yourself a center fire. Your 22 will not be the tool in that kind of emergency.

22 is great for small game gathering, I think it would come to that long before using it for personal defense.

KT, in the Royal Defense Room AKA Tornado Shelter, has bandoleers of various caliber shotgun, pistol and rifle rounds, along with several ammo cans of the same loads, one can of .38 reloads, 1 can of .45 reloads, and one very large can of a variety of shotgun loads, from 12 gauge 8s & 6s for bird, squirrel, and rabbit hunting, along with 00 and 000, and slugs for 2 legged predators. Shelter is bullet proof for .357 mag so it makes a safe room also incase of a Castle invasion! Of course the moats, and their alligators and pirahna fish are expected to slow the invaders down a bit!

And there are numerous bricks of .22lr available from the Castle Arsenal! One pistol and a spare clip, along with a break-over backpack shotgun are permanently stored in the Chariot at this time.

KT is prepared to come out of the shelter armed and dangerous to any invaders. :gunbandanna:

Available? I totally agree, and I would grab a steak knife if needed. It just seems stupid to worry about not having a thousands rounds of 22 rim fires.

Buy yourself a center fire. Your 22 will not be the tool in that kind of emergency.
The worry about rimfire ammo disappearing is simply that what has traditionally been the cheapest thing to shoot won't be around.
I have several .22LR's, one of which is a trainer to shoot in place of my long range rifle. I just bought 500 projectiles to load, and they cost me as much as 4500 rounds of .22LR ammo.

I could have absconded with a real steal on a brick of.22lr about a week and a half ago. I went into my local pawn shop just for a look see and noticed that they had sold a good portion of their guns which is unusual for this shop as they're fairly high on their used guns also they're only two doors up from the gun shop which sells more guns in a day during normal times than any other shop I've regularly visited in my life has in a week.

Anyway the owner was sitting in his office and was on the computer and working the counter was a young lady in her early 20s that I assume was his daughter. I hadn't seen a thing I couldn't live without but while browsing the handgun case where there was also some ammo I seen a brick of Armscor .22s. I didn't have any of that brand at home and hating to walk out without buying something, the girl was keeping a constant eye on me, I ask her what they wanted for them, I was thinking per 50 round box. She pulled the brick out looking for a price and turned it over and said $5. I said, for that big box? She said yes and I said lay it on me.

I didn't look at on the way home but kept thinking she made a mistake or somehow in pawnshop trading the guy made a great deal and decided to pass it on to the customer...not. Getting home I turned it over and in black marker it said $5@ per box. I knew than the girl had unknowingly gyped her dad out of $25-30.

Next day I went back with the brick minus one box I kept. Went in the shop repeat scene, I seen pop on the computer and daughter behind counter. I wanted to keep her from getting a butt chewing so I walked down the counter a few feet and she kept pace, I than told her that when she had sold me the ammo the day before she had made a mistake. She looked at me worried like and ask how. I proceeded to explain when dad came out and ask what the matter was, so I explained what had happened and how looking at the writing I could understand. He slid out the remaining 9 boxes and slid one over to me and told me to take another for my honesty.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Use what you have, even if it is "only" a .22

No argument. Grab a knife in a crunch, but better yet, buy a bigger gun instead of stock piling 22 rim fires. It is an ugly round and more of a stinger, not killer. You don't want an angry intruder.

I really forgot about 22 rimfire platform. Congrats to the die-hards. It is much easier to boost the gun, not add more rounds to a 22 pop-gun. Getting "serious" with a confrontation inside the house....nuff said

Never really been an ammo hoarder in any form I usually have between 1 to 3 boxes per caliber of weapon I have. I used to reload for about 20 years, and recently gave it up.

While I think I'm pretty competent with any of my weapons, I'm not naive enough to believe I can defend volumes of invaders without getting hit myself. I finally understand I'm not Rambo nor the Terminator and doubt I can kill all 6000 offenders who are trying to kill me, without getting shot.

Back
Top Bottom