1841 Mint Drop Depression Coin/Token

Leave-No-Coins-Behind

Forum Supporter
Today, I went to an older park next to a school. This is the first time I hunted this location.

My interesting find of the day, was 1841 Mint Drop coin/token that I found in the adjacent woods. At first I thought it was a large cent or even a copper. It is about the same size as a LC or copper. I had never seen or heard of such a token/coin prior to today. It now has to be one of my most interesting finds.

After researching it at home, I discovered it was privately minted token/coin that was used for money and as a political statement against the Federal Reserve Bank during the USA 1830-40's depression era.

Here is a Google insert about the coin/token~

The era of the late 1830’s into the 1840’s was a period of economic depression in the U.S. The battle was between proponents of the Bank of the United States, a private institution and President Andrew Jackson who wanted to abolish it. Many privately issued tokens were struck to take the place of hoarded Federal money. These “hard times” tokens also became political propaganda instruments.

The “Mint Drops” were hard money advocates and “Bentonian Currency” refers to Senator Thomas Hart Benton, a supporter of President Jackson’s hard money policies. This substitute for a U.S. large cent was a statement of hard money versus unbacked, inflating paper money (sarcastically called “shinplasters” as they were “only good for stuffing in your socks to keep warm in the winter” that were issued by the private, Bank of the United States).

“Hard Times” Tokens are popularly collected as they have interesting designs and tell the story of the economic struggles of this era. As with coins, condition and variety play and important role in value.

Other than that, it was a good overall day with the usual clad, a couple of old buttons and several wheat cents too.

I think I will be going back to this location again in the future...

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Attachments

• IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
That is a great find - and thank you for the education about the mint drop tokens

Thank you!

That is a great find - and thank you for the education about the mint drop tokens

Thanks oaktree! Thanks for your kind words. It was an education for me too.

I think I would be fooled by that very easily, great find.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks kingman mikey! At first I thought it was a LC but now I am glad it ws something different.

Can't say I've ever seen one of those tokens before, excellent hunting JAK!

Thanks cellrdwellr! Once in awhile I am lucky to find those unique pieces of history.

Whoa John, great save and awesome find. You out did yourself this time. I could feel the history as I read your post, and I learned a little too. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on another clad haul as well. Good luck. Mark

Thank you!

Nice find. And good followup research.

Thanks Tom! What really makes it special is that when I did a "Search" on Friendly, it has never been posted before at least for that era.

How cool is that?! Congrats!

Thanks ChrisnAmanda1! This is definitely one of my more special finds.

That Coin is a super recovery John and some very nice research you done on it. Congrats on that a another fine day with the clad. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! That coin/token sure has some interesting history to it. And to think it was actually used and accepted as a "replacement" for the cent coin. I was glad I was able to clean it just enough to get a good reading on the date.

Whoa John, great save and awesome find. You out did yourself this time. I could feel the history as I read your post, and I learned a little too. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on another clad haul as well. Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark! It is just amazing the historical finds we all recovery in the dirt no less. Other than that, for whatever the reasons, clad has been real good to me so far this year. And if I my mention, found my first war nick for the year the other day which was long overdue and another merc today.

Those hard times tokens are fun and never seen that one you found before. Very cool, congrats!

Thanks Jamflicker! I agree it is a cool find. I would of been happy it were a LC but this token surpassed that at least for me.

Wow, very interesting, thanks for sharing the history with us. I have never heard of that coin either. Really a once in a lifetime find!!

Thank you!

Wow, very interesting, thanks for sharing the history with us. I have never heard of that coin either. Really a once in a lifetime find!!

Thanks Jim Bob! I greatly appreciate your most generous comments. The coin sure has a unique history to it and I was glad I could bring it back to life again.

5hats a pretty cool Token, when you wrote Mint Drop, i wasn't expecting it to be written on the coin lol.

Congratulations of the coin/Token, definitely a cool find and an awesome piece of history.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!

that's cool. never heard of those!

Thanks RF1! I was just researching this article for someone today and noticed you had replied. In fact, it seems some very knowledgeable people never heard of it too. Like everything else, I wish it had been in better condition.

5hats a pretty cool Token, when you wrote Mint Drop, i wasn't expecting it to be written on the coin lol.

Congratulations of the coin/Token, definitely a cool find and an awesome piece of history.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Big Treble! I know I said it before, it has to me one of my most interesting finds, even though it is not that valuable. But still very interesting piece of history.

Back
Top Bottom