What "time of day" do you go detecting?

tinsmith

Elite Member
Hey all, this thread is a just for fun. Done out of pure boredom from staying in.
I rarely see other detectorists out hunting. I figured it was because I never get out early. I'm usually at town parks. I go whenever it calls me. I don't think it matters if you coin shoot for old silver but I assume most jewelry hunters are out at the crack of dawn. Usually I go after 9 am. the wife and I usually sit around and make breakfast sandwiches. Im retired and may start going earlier soon. Thats when we get back out!
So are you an early bird?

In winter, afternoon when it warms up and ground is digable. Summer early morning before it gets too hot. For me most hunts are 4 to 6 hrs. and comfortable temps are a large factor for me as I get older. Stay safe. Mark

I am at a spot before sunrise.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Being a beach hunter its all tide dependent.. as far as dirt when I get the urge maybe once or twice a year :lol:

Beaches are all shut down here...I have been watching with awe how my stocks have tanked... :roll:

In winter, afternoon when it warms up and ground is digable. Summer early morning before it gets too hot. For me most hunts are 4 to 6 hrs. and comfortable temps are a large factor for me as I get older. Stay safe. Mark

Same here with the temps, seems many of us are more sensitive to temps (chilly or hot) then when we were younger :lol:

As fun as detecting is, if it is too chilly and damp it feels miserable to be out in it too long. The warmer weather is somewhat more manageable as you can take breaks in the shade when needed, as long as it is not one of those extremely hot days with high humidity, then earlier hunts are more of a must.

I'm retired also, but my wife wanted to keep working part time for now so I take care of much of the housework and all of the cooking, so another factor for me is making sure my chores are mostly done before going detecting :lol:

….for right now I am limiting myself to my 1 1/2 acre yard, but hopefully will be getting back out in public areas again before too long, as there is a park I was detecting that I want to try a different section of, also want to get some private property permissions a little later.

Since I live in North Atlanta, I plan my trips at low traffic time.

10:00 am and 2:00 pm. Otherwise will spend more time in traffic than detecting.

Generally the earlier the better for me, traffic and heat get worse the later I go. If I get out at just after 6 I can be out of the city in 15 minutes, if i wait until close to 7 it can take 45 minutes just to get out of the city!

During the summer if the tide is outgoing or to turn to outgoing in a hour or so I will be on the before daylight. I rarely detect in the dark due too many less than upstanding folks wandering the beach. Again temperatures do play a role. The older I have gotten the more the extreme heat and humidity effect me.

Dirt fishing is temperature dependent. Summers early morning or late evening. Winter when the temps warm up a little.

Beach hunting time is dependent on the tides and for water hunting is it a + or - tide. For the dirt, the last time I went was...last year:laughing:

I have been curb stripping between 2000 and 2200 lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't see others because we are like ghosts no one really sees us as an old detectorist once told me years ago.. But to answer your question I usually go mid day but will now change since I should have more time..

The beach temps are fairly consistent so I usually go between 10am & 2 pm. If it’s a heatwave, I just stay home. Like I’m doing now until this virus thing clears up. Stay safe.

My favorite time of day to hunt is during a major storm event at HIGH tide. The ONLY time of day I won't go is at night during this event because of visibility. Otherwise it's 24/7.

It usually works best with my family's daily schedule to plan detecting into the afternoon or evening. Now that I think on it, to me this is also a nice time of day to view the loveliness of God's creation - like watching the sun set - while pursuing a favorite hobby. That's another reason why I enjoy metal detecting. :grin:

P.S. Good thread idea! :thumbsup:

If it were up to me, we'd be up and out the door by 6 A.M
With that being said..... we have 4 kids and one on the way so sleeping is a rare activity for us lol. Still tho, I try to get out and go before noon when i can. Most days tho we end up leaving g the house around 10 or 11 and getting to our location around 12 or 1.

Back
Top Bottom