Help - My Wife Lost a Diamond Earring

vagoergens

Hello,

My 8 month old daughter ripped off my wife's diamond stud earring (gold setting) and tossed it in the grass. We've narrowed it to about a 10x10 foot area. We looked with my 1000 watt work light to no avail. I'm concerned that we'll just press it further into the dirt.

What should I do? I know nothing about metal detection. Would it be able to locate a gold stud pretty much on the surface? I figure I could buy a metal detector, but I'm concerned about rain, so I figure I need to get one locally tomorrow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know a good place to buy a metal detector. Radio Shack? I'm in Woodbridge, Virginia.

Thank you in advance,

Mark Goergen

If you don't plan on becoming a metal detectorist, you should try to find someone who locally metal detects and they would be glad to do it.

and tossed it in the grass. We've narrowed it to about a 10x10 foot area.

Mark, first welcome to the forum!
You could buy or rent a detector. Have you or your wife actually seen your daughter tossing it in the grass? Because if you just think she did, it could be stuck on your wife's shirt or it could just be anywhere.

If you are sure its where you think it is, use an all metal mode and a pair of headphones.

If you still can't find it, give your local detecting club a call.

I hope you find it, please let us know if you do ;)

Was it in your own yard? If ther'es not a risk of flooding or runoff, all it can do is sink a bit and the use of a detector will then be the best way to find it. The Virginia Historic Preservation Society is listed as being in Leesburg, try contacting [email protected]

I'm three hours out, if you think I can help feel free to PM.

Sorry to hear about your wife's stud ring Mark.

It is doubtful that you'll pick it up on your own with a low end detector. I'm sure that someone in this forum that lives nearby will contact you shortly.

ive seen a few ads in the local paper for MD owners to do small jobs just like yours,in the recent ad i saw an older man wanted someone to look for property markers under the surface of his property so he could mark out his turf,try placing an add in your local paper for assistance

My wife found a place in Leesburg that rents metal detectors. She filled out an online rental quote request. Se's quite sure that it dropped in the immediate vicinity.

I'll post our progress.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. We really appreciate them!

Mark

So Far

Here's the saga to date:

We took my wife's matching earring to a place that rents metal detectors. The gent who helped us fired up the White 6000 (I think that's what was on it) and got no response waving the earring in front of it.

We got home and i fired up my shop vac with a new bag and started, you guessed it, vacuuming the lawn. Luckily, my neighbors already think I'm nuts.

We had to break for dinner and just finished getting the kids to bed. Now it's time for us to follow them. We'll sift through the debris tomorrow. As much as we want to find out tonight, parents of 8-month olds prioritize sleep over pretty much anyting else.

I'll post the results tomorrow when we get through the bag. I feel like a network TV show giving a teaser for the next episode...

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

V/R,

Mark Goergen

If you don't find it in the debris, then a professional detectorist is the only way to go, via a club. If the earring has a diamond, then it is set in gold, and the gold signal is going to be a whisper/crackling of a beep, which is only recognizable by a detectorist with experience.

Strike Two

I went through the debris and found nothing. Afterward, i went back on my hands and knees for about 1-1/2 hours. I found the backing, but no diamond. My wife then raked the grass to try to get out some of the thatch and hopefully be able to see it. Another hour with both of us crawling around and no luck.

I'm going to try a professional detectorist. I went to the Springfield Detector's Club and it's closed down, but David Wright, whose name is on the web site has his phone number listed. Thanks for the tip, Rudy!

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Mark Goergen

Vlad has found post earrings but they weren't gold.

Did you find it in the dry sand?

I went through the debris and found nothing. Afterward, i went back on my hands and knees for about 1-1/2 hours. I found the backing, but no diamond. My wife then raked the grass to try to get out some of the thatch and hopefully be able to see it. Another hour with both of us crawling around and no luck.

I'm going to try a professional detectorist. I went to the Springfield Detector's Club and it's closed down, but David Wright, whose name is on the web site has his phone number listed. Thanks for the tip, Rudy!

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Mark Goergen

Good luck Mark, I hope he has a good PI unit, or an MXT or a GMT.
Most other detectors won't be able to spot a small post type ear ring.

Back
Top Bottom