• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Lost platinum and diamond ring found/returned

scout23

Elite Member
Ok, I'll start this story about a year ago. Several friends work for a large commercial farm equipment company. The company also provides planting and harvesting services to farmers.
One of my friends was unloading a grain truck around midnight, and when he pulled off his glove he heard something make a metallic "clink". He didn't immediately notice that his gold wedding band was gone.
After unloading he realized it was his ring that must have hit the side of the truck or elevator. He searched for a while then continued working. The next day he went out and searched for several hours before he remembered I metal detect.
He called me and I met him there a little while later. He showed me the area he thought it landed in, a large low area with about an inch of mud and water in it. I got my AT Pro out and Pro Pointer and after about 30 seconds I hit on a shallow nickel/pull tab signal. I told him it was probably the ring and an inch in the mud was the ring. To say he was happy was a big understatement.
Now fast forward to a week ago. One of my other friends who works at the same place called me and asked If I still had my detector. He said the business owner had just lost his wedding band while cleaning out the combine header in a corn field.
I met them at the field and the owner showed me an area he thinks it was in. They had cleared about a 20' circle of corn stalks and debris to bare dirt. I only had about a half an hour and told them If I didn't find it I would come back in the morning to look for it.
I asked the owner if it was gold and he said no, platinum.:shock: So I checked the area he thought it was in and then started searching about a 100'x300' area. I didn't get to far and had to leave.
Sunday morning at about 9am I went back to the area and decided I would start around the perimeter and work my way in. I was hunting in Pro Mode custom, iron on, full sens. and nothing notched out. I did not know where "platinum" would come in so I checked every signal with the pro pointer under the corn debris.
After about a half hour, 15 trash hits and about half way around the perimeter, I hit another shallow signal. Upon sticking the pro pointer into the debris I got a clear solid tone. I moved the stuff out of the way and saw a very large silver looking ring. Then it hit me like a sledge hammer, it was the platinum ring. My heart about stopped and I couldn't hardly operate my phone to take the pictures. I immediately called my friend and told him I found it. I asked where the owner was. He was about a half mile away running a combine. I drove over to the edge of the field he was working in and walked to the end of the corn rows.
He was coming at me picking corn. I hid the ring in my pocket and walked over to the combine when he stopped. I climbed up and opened the cab door. I asked him if he could show me where he lost it again cause it's not there. He said "yea, it's right where I cleared the spot.
As I pulled the ring out of my pocket I said "no it's not, it was about 60 feet away" and handed it to him. He was speechless and I was so happy I was able to find and return it. I think he couldn't believe someone would actually return it if they found it. His wife was not too happy about him loosing it, he just got married about three months ago on a beach in Hawaii. I believe it was custom made and know it had to be very expensive. Didn't count how many black and clear diamonds were in it, but there is a bunch.
Now he is out of the dog house and I am very happy to have been able to return it to him.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 448
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0288 (2).jpg
    IMG_0288 (2).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 447
It feels so good to return lost items, but to find and return your friends lost rings are priceless. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom