Part II - How far would you go: Followup to $$$$ Would you return it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonym

Elite Member
I modified popatop's original question a bit:

original thread here: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=187768

Lets say that a fellow forum member you don't even know found an item, Maybe a ring for example and to keep it interesting lets throw in some greed or temptation factor and say that it is worth 10 - 20 or maybe even $30,00.00 or maybe it's just a class ring that originally sold for a few hundred dollars, Bottom line this ring means alot to some one and you can tell it is a fresh drop.

You find out that the fellow forum member has decided to keep the item after posting a picture and mentioning the appraised value of said item.

What would you do?

Would you save the image of the item so that you could try to find the original owner on your own thus sabotaging your fellow forum member or maybe even post a fake ad on Craigs List pretending to be the finder, again to sabotage the fellow forum member? Keep in mind that there may or may not be a name engraved in the ring as i want to cover all possible angles to the find here.

I would like to keep this as not a legality question but strictly a moral question regarding sabotaging a fellow forum members find ( What would you do ).

By the way, I promise I am only using the information for my own research :laughing:

I look forward to your replies, especially yours popatop :laughing:

"Not stirring the pot as i am the original poster (of this thread) and i truely want and ask that the thread to stay civil. This is a valid question and nobody is obligated to reply if they choose not to." :laughing:

And again, I am only using the information for my own research :laughing:

I look forward to your replies :lol:

Its just flat out weird, im happy for any member that finds a great item. And this person wanted to force what he thought was the morally correct thing to do with the ring on the whole forum.. But where is thier morals when it comes to the privacy of forum members or anybody for that matter.. And maintaining your own integrity

I posted in the other thread that I didn't know what I'd do. With that in mind I'm not about to decide for someone else.

You find out that the fellow forum member has decided to keep the item after posting a picture and mentioning the appraised value of said item.

What would you do?

doesn't that ^^ happen all the time on here?
what i would do: i would likely say "Congrats!" as i've done that many times on here already. :yes:
what i wouldn't do is the other part you mentioned in your post. it's absolutely NONE of my business what the finder does or doesn't do with his or her finds!

Can you provide a link to the Craig's List post? I'm just dying to know if this guy really had the gall to do this. If so, I know one guy who will never post a big find on here.

Can you provide a link to the Craig's List post? I'm just dying to know if this guy really had the gall to do this. If so, I know one guy who will never post a big find on here.

The post was flagged for removal this morning. It is g one now. I can promise you he did do just that.

Why some people feel the need to butt into other people's business and force their opinions and beliefs on them is beyond me. Get a life, geez.

We call that douchebaggery

Why some people feel the need to butt into other people's business and force their opinions and beliefs on them is beyond me. Get a life, geez.

We call that douchebaggery

:dingding: douchebaggery is correct for anyone who would do that!! It would be ironic IF the person who would do something so immoral to a fellow forum member was also the self appointed head preacher of the morality police, hypothetically speaking. :toofunny:

I mean honestly there are rats everywhere, for a multitude of reasons none of us would understand. If you find something really cool, expensive or whatever, cool, and you want to share your find you best keep it's key identifying factors secret. Or only tell those you trust. That is if you want to keep it. I have a couple of those type things myself.

Shouldn't all of this be handled via PM? Not sure why these threads that are aimed at one specific individual are allowed to remain...more junk to wade through for the rest of us. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom