High School Ring from Maryland Found and Returned in Texas

Stormrider51

Last week my wife and I were detecting a church not far from our home here in Cedar Creek, TX. In an area that I wouldn't have guessed to have much traffic I got a hit that read "Nickle Ring" on my White's DFX. I cut a horseshoe shaped plug and out popped a silver high school class ring in excellent condition from about 4" down. I always make an agreement with the pastor or minister of a church I'm permitted to hunt that should I find any jewelry I'll notify him so that he can announce it to the congregation and give them my phone number. In this case I had a lot more info to offer. The ring was from the Magruder High School Class of 1978 and engraved inside were the initials RMJ. This info drew a blank at the church so I expanded my search. I Googled the name of the school and learned that it is located in Rockville, MA. I emailed the school and explained my situation. They were kind enough to send me a class roster for the graduating class of 1978. Three male names on the roster matched the initials on the ring. A further internet search revealed that the owner of one of those names now lives in this area. I called and left a message on his phone this afternoon. He called me this evening and said that he had lost the ring while on a church hay ride in 1980. He named the church and described the ring. He seemed stunned that I had found his ring after all these years. He wanted to know how much he owed me and I told him he didn't owe me anything. I'll be meeting him this coming Sunday to return his ring.

Storm

Attachments

• Class Ring.jpg
    Class Ring.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 798
Last edited:
Totally awesome Storm. Congrats on the find and thanks for holding up the Friendly standard of our hobby. You rock.

Great job! I think if I ever find a returnable ring, I'd just ask for a box of 9v batteries to feed my detector! Seriously, your integrity is refreshing. Keep up the great work! :yes:

Incredible!! It has always been a dream of mine to find something valuable and return it to its owners. Great ring and detective story!!

Very nice of you to go to all that extra trouble. Great gesture. I was class of 78 myself. I got my ring (14K gold) and promptly put it in the hand of a young lady who was very pleasent to look upon. She promptly...lost it. If you run across it I would also be thrilled to hear from you. :D

Very nice of you to go to all that extra trouble. Great gesture. I was class of 78 myself. I got my ring (14K gold) and promptly put it in the hand of a young lady who was very pleasent to look upon. She promptly...lost it. If you run across it I would also be thrilled to hear from you. :D

I'll be sure to let you know if I find it! What part of Texas did she lose it in?

Storm

Thanks for the good words everyone. In all my years of detecting this was the first class ring I've found. Tracking down the owner and hearing his story was fun. But best of all there are now a few more people who have a positive view of metal detecting.

When I started in the hobby back in the 1970's every park in Austin and Travis County was open to detecting. I even detected on the grounds of the state capitol and no one cared. I was super careful with my recovery techniques and left places looking as if I had never been there. Today all city and county parks are off limits in the Austin area. Showing up at the capitol building with detector in hand would probably trigger a SWAT call out. For that matter, all LCRA and state parks are off limits too. Why? I think it started when places like Walmart and Radio Shack started selling cheap detectors. People would impulse buy them thinking the machine was guaranteed to find nothing but money and jewelry like it shows on the box. Then they would take it out and dig nothing but trash with a few modern coins thrown in. How many of you have gone into parks and such places and found an open hole with a pull tab laying beside it? I've seen parks that looked like a herd of armadillos on speed had been through it. This is how we are losing our public places to hunt. It's also why I like to get permission to hunt church yards. I make an offer to the minister to donate half my found change and, more importantly, promise to notify him if I find any jewelry. He can then tell the congregation and anyone who has lost something can contact me. If their description matches the found item I happily return it to the owner. Do you think I'm crazy? Consider this, I've gotten invitations to search private yards out of my activities at a church. I get references from one minister to use when I approach another one. And every positive contact helps improve the image of metal detectorists. Crazy? Well, my life as a lunatic has been extremely interesting so far.

Storm

Nice job on the ring storm.

I like the look on there face when they
say what do I.O.U. I say the same thing you say not a thing.

Then ya get this look. :shock:

H.H. to you Al:yes:

The ring was returned to its owner this afternoon. He seemed overwhelmed that it had been found and returned after all these years.

Storm

Back
Top Bottom