Key found

Liberty_1776

Forum Supporter
I've been MD'ing for about 2 months now. I probably have about 100 hours behind my machine and have really learned a lot so far. Anyway, I was at the beach getting some detecting in before Memorial day as the beach closes to MD'ing after Memorial day and re-opens to MD'ing after Labor day. I had quite a few people asking me about my machine and all the normal related questions.

As I'm walking around detecting this guy comes up to me and asks "Does that detect any kind of metal" I tell him yes and he proceeds to tell me that he and his friends lost a key in the sand where they were sitting. I asked some basic questions about the key and the area he thought it was in. He describes it was a single key in about a 100 sq ft area. I ask them to remove any metallic items from the area like the cooler, purses, etc. and begin to detect.

I knew my machine was in beach mode so it would detect most metal but I wasn't quite sure what a key would be made out of (metal composition). I was guessing some kind of steel alloy and figured it might discriminate the key. After about 30 seconds I come to an area that the key was most likely in and I hear a break in the threshold. I swing over it a few more times and I can tell that my machine wants to pick something up but is discriminating it out. I decide to pinpoint the object, it comes up as being 1/2" down. Could it be that easy? I scoop my first scoop and there's the key! Everyone was amazed. I was especially happy to be so new to doing this and to find the key on the first try. I was expecting to be digging a bit of garbage before the key but I guess experience and luck paid off. I think I was just as happy to have been able to help someone out as they were to get the key back.

BTW: This was done with the XLT.

The ATPro has found MANY keys. The VDI range from 70 to 95 depending on the metal make-up of the key. Most of the older ones come up 80 to 82 which fall into the copper penny zone.

congrats on the successful find! :waytogo:
i've found several keys and most show up mid-range on my MD. some are brass, some are aluminum, the ring itself can be stainless or ordinary steel....
a full key ring with a mixture of keys on it can give a multitude of different signals. :yes:

Pete

Nice find I just helped my girlfriends friend find her silver necklace today. Boy was she happy her daughter bought it for her, It meant a lot to her. :D

Back
Top Bottom