• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How close to the Missouri River can I hunt?

DeerhunterSD

I miss the days when we could walk down the river bank and find old relics to take home. Now it's considered breaking the law and I've heard of people being chased off by the army corps of engineers. I think we all have similar feelings on here about that! Anyway, does anyone know how close to the river is it regulated by the corps? I'm having a hard time finding info on google about this. It's a question I'd rather not call and ask.

Also, I've got a fisher f44. I know it won't do saltwater but does anyone know if will work on freshwater and sandy riverbanks?

Last edited:
.... I've heard of people being chased off by the army corps of engineers. ....

Hmmm, but then we have this:

I have hunted along the banks near Pierre and never a problem, cops will drive by and just wave

Deer-hunter, you say you've "heard of ...". But you have to remember one thing, when it comes to discussions of where you (supposedly) can and can't hunt: Yes, you will often hear people tell you "you'll get chased off", or "you'll get arrested" or "it's illegal" for various spots. But when you try to isolate actual examples, they're either non-existent, or flukes.

I've seen this happen a lot, where some such rumors float about, yet ... when you start researching around, no one can remember such bootings, or refer to the actual people. It turns out to be something "they heard" too, and are simply passing it along.

NOT SAYING THAT THIS MAKES YOUR SPOT RIGHT. But just saying, when I hear such "dire things" that get bandied about by the skittish, I ask myself "says who?"

According to Google Earth I'm about 275 miles from the river so think I'll be OK.. But will still keep an eye out for the law.... :)

Hmmm, but then we have this:

Deer-hunter, you say you've "heard of ...". But you have to remember one thing, when it comes to discussions of where you (supposedly) can and can't hunt: Yes, you will often hear people tell you "you'll get chased off", or "you'll get arrested" or "it's illegal" for various spots. But when you try to isolate actual examples, they're either non-existent, or flukes.

I've seen this happen a lot, where some such rumors float about, yet ... when you start researching around, no one can remember such bootings, or refer to the actual people. It turns out to be something "they heard" too, and are simply passing it along.

NOT SAYING THAT THIS MAKES YOUR SPOT RIGHT. But just saying, when I hear such "dire things" that get bandied about by the skittish, I ask myself "says who?"

As always thanks for the advice Tom. The story I'm referring to specifically is from a very reputable source but it's the only instance I've heard of. I think I'll just feel the place out and kind of play it by ear. I'm just a new guy that's just excited to finally get out! I appreciate the knowledge I can gain from this place though!

... The story I'm referring to specifically is from a very reputable source....

Well, I am convinced that sometimes "very reputable sources" can hear a story of "someone got booted", and pass it on. They can be quite sincere and reputable. It's the psychology of "everyone believes bad news, not good news".

Example of this psychology: If I came to you and said that our good friend Bob "just got arrested for soliciting an under age cop decoy in a child sex sting", you'd be saying : "Really ? That's horrible. How could Bob do such a thing :no: " But if I came to you and said "Hey, our friend Bob just won the million dollar lottery", you'd say "No way, that can't possibly be true". See how that works ? So too is it with md'ing: No one hears or registers the ability to detect at any place (they never give it a 2nd thought, nor would you question it). But the moment someone comes up and says "you can't detect at such & such", THEN you assume it's true, w/o question.

And suppose for a moment that it WAS true that someone got scrammed or booted. I got news for you: I do not consider such events to necessarily constitute gospel law. I do not necessarily consider them to mean "md'ing not allowed there".

Because I have seen SCORES of such happenings that ... turned out ... were nothing more than isolated flukes. Eg.: a ranger having a bad hair day. Or a cop who was merely responding to a call-out from a lady who thought you were bothering earthworms (and the cop has to justify his being called out, so he says scram). Or perhaps no one on earth besides that single authority cares, and it was just a fluke that he happened to be out and about that day.

I have lots of parks where either myself, or someone I've heard of, has received a scram. And ... sure ... you give lip service at the time and comply. Yet years later, we look around among our ranks, and no one's ever heard so much as "boo" since then. Thus I do not necessarily construe stories of supposed "scrams" to constitute gospel law going forward. Sometimes it just means: "Avoid that one individual".

You can only go about half-way, before coming out...Of course if you have a Nox-800 you can find gold in the river and never leave your house...:laughing:

Well, I am convinced that sometimes "very reputable sources" can hear a story of "someone got booted", and pass it on. They can be quite sincere and reputable. It's the psychology of "everyone believes bad news, not good news".

Example of this psychology: If I came to you and said that our good friend Bob "just got arrested for soliciting an under age cop decoy in a child sex sting", you'd be saying : "Really ? That's horrible. How could Bob do such a thing :no: " But if I came to you and said "Hey, our friend Bob just won the million dollar lottery", you'd say "No way, that can't possibly be true". See how that works ? So too is it with md'ing: No one hears or registers the ability to detect at any place (they never give it a 2nd thought, nor would you question it). But the moment someone comes up and says "you can't detect at such & such", THEN you assume it's true, w/o question.

And suppose for a moment that it WAS true that someone got scrammed or booted. I got news for you: I do not consider such events to necessarily constitute gospel law. I do not necessarily consider them to mean "md'ing not allowed there".

Because I have seen SCORES of such happenings that ... turned out ... were nothing more than isolated flukes. Eg.: a ranger having a bad hair day. Or a cop who was merely responding to a call-out from a lady who thought you were bothering earthworms (and the cop has to justify his being called out, so he says scram). Or perhaps no one on earth besides that single authority cares, and it was just a fluke that he happened to be out and about that day.

I have lots of parks where either myself, or someone I've heard of, has received a scram. And ... sure ... you give lip service at the time and comply. Yet years later, we look around among our ranks, and no one's ever heard so much as "boo" since then. Thus I do not necessarily construe stories of supposed "scrams" to constitute gospel law going forward. Sometimes it just means: "Avoid that one individual".

Interesting and true points. You're a wise man Tom. You're alright for a Californian ;).

I miss the days when we could walk down the river bank and find old relics to take home. Now it's considered breaking the law and I've heard of people being chased off by the army corps of engineers. I think we all have similar feelings on here about that! Anyway, does anyone know how close to the river is it regulated by the corps? I'm having a hard time finding info on google about this. It's a question I'd rather not call and ask.

Also, I've got a fisher f44. I know it won't do saltwater but does anyone know if will work on freshwater and sandy riverbanks?

The Army Corps of Engineers are not the only people that control detecting by rivers: state, city and county parks. Private property owners are usually not gov't employees and who they allow on their land and for what reason is up to them, AFAIK. Archaeologists and historical societies may have input.

I'm pretty sure the Fisher F44 will work in most areas, but I got mine just before winter and need to study the manual. Best wishes.

Around our area TVA controls the major waterways, but the smaller ones are not covered by TVA. But in Georgia, if the water way is also the property line than the land owner owns 50% into the water form his side. If he owns on both sides than he is considered to own that portion of the entire waterway. The enforcers around here are the game wardens.

All you need is a SCUBA rebreather and an underwater machine and nobody will have a clue you are in the river. No bubbles, nothing. Even if they saw you go in they could never find you.

Grab all the silver and gold you can carry (as long as you are swinging a Nox) come up and get back to your get away vehicle you will be set.

Problem solved.

All you need is a SCUBA rebreather and an underwater machine and nobody will have a clue you are in the river. No bubbles, nothing. Even if they saw you go in they could never find you.

Grab all the silver and gold you can carry (as long as you are swinging a Nox) come up and get back to your get away vehicle you will be set.

Problem solved.

If you can gift me the money for all that gear I'll gladly do it! I know the river is twice the width in a lot of spots as it was 100 years ago.

Problem solved.

Apparently you've never been to the missery river. :lol: You'd do better diving in chocolate milk.

Apparently you've never been to the missery river. :lol: You'd do better diving in chocolate milk.

I have dove in many zero visibility places. You have to know your machine and know where your coil is to find things. I am very good at it. The only time I get a little spooked is when I bump into a tree or a sunk boat. I get over it fast but it is a bit unnerving.

Nobody else does it and you can really clean up in places like that.

There is a river about a half mile away from me called the black river. It lives up to it's name. Many boats moor there and I have found things for folks many times in it. You can't see a thing and you really have to move slow because of the steel and dock pilings down there. It is a skill that takes a long time to learn and master.

Just like diving in muck, as soon as you touch the bottom, visibility is nothing. You have to remember nothing was there to harm you before you stirred it up, and nothing is still there to harm you. Never panic and you will be just fine. Again, we are talking a learned skill.

I have dove in many zero visibility places. You have to know your machine and know where your coil is to find things. I am very good at it. The only time I get a little spooked is when I bump into a tree or a sunk boat. I get over it fast but it is a bit unnerving.

Nobody else does it and you can really clean up in places like that.

There is a river about a half mile away from me called the black river. It lives up to it's name. Many boats moor there and I have found things for folks many times in it. You can't see a thing and you really have to move slow because of the steel and dock pilings down there. It is a skill that takes a long time to learn and master.

Just like diving in muck, as soon as you touch the bottom, visibility is nothing. You have to remember nothing was there to harm you before you stirred it up, and nothing is still there to harm you. Never panic and you will be just fine. Again, we are talking a learned skill.

It would be neat to try sometime Scuba, but alas you are a braver man than I. I'm fine on skis or a tube above water, but below the surface in the dark would give me the willies. Too many monster fish and whatever else to bump into for me!

To the original poster.... interesting thread. The same thought goes for lakes. A boat can go virtually to shore when fishing, but if I were to walk along the outside of the lake detecting in the water I guarantee I would be verbally accosted numerous times by the property owners along the shore.

Back
Top Bottom