Excaliber threshold setting

Darinputman

Been doing a lot of hunting with my new to me excaliber and love it. I use the nemo and it is loud , just done the headphone mod with the ms left/right headphones and took it out several times and seems to be an improvement.
Definately a better fit, but still have to crank threshold setting up really loud. Will having to crank threshold volume up have any negative effects on on detector capabilities or is it just a different volume setting per say.
Also considered buying a set of grey ghost but no idea if they would be any louder. What detector headphones would I need to get that I could hardwire in. From what I seen it would be the ctx 3030 is that correct.
Thanks for any and all advice, got pretty bad ringing in my ears and aint getting no better

Im using my Equinox grey ghost(since my nox will never be submerged again since the warranty expired). They are louder but there are better options, contact Tony Eisenhower he builds good stuff.

Will having to crank threshold volume up have any negative effects on on detector capabilities or is it just a different volume setting per say.
Also considered buying a set of grey ghost but no idea if they would be any louder. What detector headphones would I need to get that I could hardwire in. From what I seen it would be the ctx 3030 is that correct.
Thanks for any and all advice, got pretty bad ringing in my ears and aint getting no better

No neg effect on the detector but you will miss faint targets if your hunting in All metal. Honestly, I don't think your going to find much to help volume wise other than timing your breathing to it kicking on, and off? Grey ghost won't help and I believe Tony's are only a few DB's louder. I'll have to check my records.. seems the GGA's were 92 and Tony's were 92/94 db's. Stock is 85/89.

That Excal is a GREAT machine. Be patient and learn it.

Threshold IS NOT another volume setting. Crank up the volume all the way and then adjust your threshold so you can just barely hear it (or just slightly louder). If you adjust the threshold too loud, you’ll miss targets.

It’s very important to get a set of headphones that block ambient noise at the beach. If you have the original Excal headphones, try one of the mods linked in the following thread (or combine them like I did):

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=221196

I’ve compared Eisenhower’s to others. Eisenhower’s are good, but I would ask him to use a set of muffs that have a higher Noise Reduction Rating:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=284797

Last I knew, “Nemo” was a little clown fish who got lost???

Best of luck to you. “And may the odds be ever in your favor”.

R5

Last edited:
… oh, and I WOULD NOT use the CTX headphones as a replacement on your Excal, but if that’s REALLY what you want, I know where you can find a brand new set for cheap! :cool3:

Obn thats what I try to do is time my breathing and listen, you think it only affects it in all metal. Thats interesting will pay more attention to that also. Any insight as to why would be appreciated.
Raider5 I already done the mod using the MS left/right headphones and that alone was a vast improvement. Just wondering if there was any louder ones available. Took it out several times and learning it has been enjoyable. I hunt freshwater creeks around Northwest Alabama only accessible at bridges, canoes or wading so the only ambient noise problem is the regulator. By the way the nemo is a little floating air pump with a 10 ft. hose that enables me to hit the hard to get to places with ease.
Found lots of great junk and coins along with the usual can, pop tops and the ever present barb wire so far. Have also got a great supply of lead fishing weights and 22 bullets to melt down. Did find a 1942 walking liberty I was pleased with.
Thanks for all the suggestions, really enjoy the forum. Will be headed to the beach end of July really looking forward to it, digging in the sand is a breeze compared to rocky creek bottoms.

The bubbles are louder than the nemo, there's no escaping the fact sound travels underwater better than air, but also your ear drums react less when filled with water.
So the worst of both worlds when you try to use a detector with phones underwater.

I am not a diver. But maybe you can wire a connector to a set of the Deus Bone phones? Then of course you still have to plug your ears. I do remember free diving when younger underwater you could hear a boat easily. Then when you pop up to look it was a speck on the horizon.

I took the pads off and put Velcro on to hold to your hood.
This helped a lot.

Attachments

• 1 xcalmod.jpg
    1 xcalmod.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 106
I am not a diver. But maybe you can wire a connector to a set of the Deus Bone phones? Then of course you still have to plug your ears. I do remember free diving when younger underwater you could hear a boat easily. Then when you pop up to look it was a speck on the horizon.
Sorry to say they have almost no volume when used with the excalibur. But they work great on the Fisher AQ..

Obn

Knows bro. , he's an expert when it comes to Excalibur Mods , lucky I was able to snag 2 of his Skullies before he retired , but herd he come up with a 2nd generation skullies in which he's tearing up the gold with :roll: Top secret gold weapon :( , is that true Joe :?::?::?::?: Ps volume comfortable , threshold light hum ! PS You need a knob guard , sooner or later you will hit the knobs , break the posts, protect your machine .

Attachments

• P1010421.jpg
    P1010421.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Longjohnsilver you right about that wish the ringing in my ears was less when submerged.
Itsaring hopefully they will come out with a set of those that works with the excaliber.
Jim53 I don't wear a hood but sounds like a good idea.
Obn had thought about trying a set but had read on here somewhere they didn't work, thanks for reaffirming.
Surfmaster first thing I done was get over/under carbon rod, replaced knobs and added knob guard. Second thing was headphone mod. Lots of great experience on forums for sure.
Zeemang I really try to keep threshold as low as possible but find I have to crank it up louder than I like too. Volume maxed out is a given for me when underwater, not much of a choice there. Wish I had young ears.
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Got an email from Tony and had a conversation with him. Very nice, helpful and generous fellow, just talking with him about headphones was very informative. His mod video made the headphone change almost easy.
Thanks to all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom